The online racing simulator
Drum brakes
(37 posts, started )
Alright, from personal experience: I own a 1986 station wagon and a 1973 camaro, both with front disks/rear drums. On the wagon I've had to replace the disks twice in three years due to warping, and the camaro's disks have an interesting problem. When I put the car in at night, the disks are shiny, and in the morning they have already oxidized. They grab wayyy to hard for about 2 miles and sound terrible like emo rock.
Quote from DragonCommando :Actualy, 18 wheelers use drums because they are air operated. making disk air brakes would over complicate things.

Don't know how things are on the new continent, but we here on the old one have been using disk air brakes on our lorries and semis for many years.
I seem to see the stock cars in lfs as racing modified cars like spec races, for instince Spec Miatas. so none really should have durms.
Quote from legoflamb :I seem to see the stock cars in lfs as racing modified cars like spec races, for instince Spec Miatas. so none really should have durms.

Hopefully one day we'll see a graphical update to modify all cars for racing.

You would see drum brakes on the rear of a stock hatch (XFG) and a near standard Mini (UF1).
But not, as I have said before, if it is the GTi version of the XF. GTi versions tend to have discs all round (mostly as a marketting exercise rather than a real performance/safety aid).
Indeed. We need an XF HS (Happy Shopper) with 70hp, 6500rpm limit and drum brakes. And forced bouncy suspension.
And cupholders.
Another cost benefit of drum brakes is that it's cheaper and easier to implement parking brakes with them as opposed to disk brakes.
Quote from March Hare :Don't know how things are on the new continent, but we here on the old one have been using disk air brakes on our lorries and semis for many years.

I'd actualy like to see a picture of those, As far as I know, all transports have drums all round.

I have NEVER seen disks on a transport truck, more likely on a large cube van or cargo truck, and those woulden't be air operated. None I know of with a 5th wheel has disks.

Edit: I found an article about air operated disks, but it states they arn't used because they are less reliable and don't provide high enough short term braking force to be used on transports.
Quote from danowat :Blimey, haven't seen drums brakes on a car for yonks, even my diesel 307 has disc's on the back.

My BMW has drums on the back.
#36 - JTbo
And my more powerful car has drums on back, front discs however fade before drums, less powerful car has discs all around, logical ?
My Saturn has disc brakes all around, so I think you're right.

Drum brakes
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG