The online racing simulator
resizing text logos etc?
I'm working on a skin (nearly finished) but need some advice about the resizing of a logo.
I've ended up resizing each logo and text individually to compensate for the stretch, but am wondering what the best solution is for text along the top of the intake at the back. I've put "BMW Power" text at there, but am not sure I've gotten the best results.

I put this text in its own image and then tilted it slightly in the direction of tilt inline with the back of the car. Then resized it to 70% of the width. Then reversed the tilt for the other side.

Any ideas how to do it better?
Attached images
Valvoline3.jpg
Quote from DavidSS :I'm working on a skin (nearly finished) but need some advice about the resizing of a logo.
I've ended up resizing each logo and text individually to compensate for the stretch, but am wondering what the best solution is for text along the top of the intake at the back. I've put "BMW Power" text at there, but am not sure I've gotten the best results.

I put this text in its own image and then tilted it slightly in the direction of tilt inline with the back of the car. Then resized it to 70% of the width. Then reversed the tilt for the other side.

Any ideas how to do it better?

I think it's just the place where you put it, try putting it in the same row as the #3 but in the same location, does that make sense? If it does then you understand what i mean right?
Yes, I understand ... and I'll give that a try. Like you say, it may just be the angled curve on top and back of the intake causing the distorted look.

Thanks
David
That works better ... thanks for the suggestion

David
Attached images
Valvoline3BMWbl.jpg
I don't see any distortion on the original. Might be the angle, but it looks fine to me.
True enough ... the screenshot was taken at about the only angle that the distortion wasn't noticeable. The problem was that the text was somewhat tilted. Moving it down helped, since it is now on a less varying surface ... but I also figured out a way to stop the tilt. It was just a matter of trial and error while compensating for the stretch.
I like it better at the new location too.

David
Ah, do you mean the text looked skewed? That's a matter of using the wrong value for compensating of the stretching. Trial and error is all it is, really.

Usually once I have the text/logo/detail/whatever at the size I want, I duplicate it so the graphic for both sides is the same size. I then rotate one of them, taking note of the degrees of rotation. Then I squish it (I use 70% globaly for all skins, with a couple exceptions). If it fits the angle properly I then rotate the graphic for the other side the same degree in the other direction and squish it the same amount. If it doesn't fit I undo and try a new rotation angle.

If you rotate and then squish one side, then just copy it and rotate for the other side you will get the skewing. If you rotate each side independantly, and properly account for stretching, you won't ge the horrid skew.
Yes, that is the exact method I ended up using. My problem was figuring out that I had to rotate it a little more than it was on the car and then squish it. Then move it back to the car and rotate it to the position I originally wanted.

Moving it down tipped me off to the fact that I didn't have the pre squish rotation correct.

Thanks for your comments ... I wish I had known what you just posted before going through so much trial and error. It would have helped save some time.

David

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG