The online racing simulator
Computer won't start
(15 posts, started )
Computer won't start
Hello.

Well i shut down my computer normally yesterday, and everything seemed fine...When i was going to turn it on again today, nothing happened when i pushed the power button.

I have had some troubles with it lately though, random lagging (framedrops) in most games, and also random freezes (in games) where i have to shut off the computer by the power button.

My specs:
Intel Core Duo 6300 1.83 ghz @ 2.65 ghz
Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 2048MB two matched 1024
Asus P5N-E SLI, nForce-650i SLI, ATX,Socket-775, 2xPCI-Ex16
Gainward GeForce 8800GTS 640mb
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 640mb (in SLI)
PSU: Hiper 580W
Logitech G25

Now, i might think the PSU is the reason, but it's not dead because when i switch the main power on, i have a little LED light on the motherboard witch turns green (like normal). I have gone over the power cables inside the cabinet, and everything seems fine. I've also removed one of the Graphic Cards with no luck.

So any tips on what to do? I'm thinking about buying a new PSU, but i want to have some opinions from you guys first

Thx, Freddy
Maybe your power button is broken?
well i could think of few different things-PSU, power button dead, monitor dead (not showing picture?) HHD problems? sounds stupid but my pc was dead just because my ram burned
#4 - Mc21
Check all the power connectors that go to your motherboard
#5 - mr_x
Sounds like PSU to me, the light on the motherboard might go on because that is getting power from the PSU, but most other things aren't.
May not be the PSU

Could be a number of things

1) Firstly, try resetting the BIOS by either A) Removing the battery from the Mainboard for 1 minute or B) using the Jumper on the motherboard...(your motherboard manual wil show you where it is)

2) Try removing a stick of RAM and try 1 stick on its own, then try the other stick on its own..

3) You already tried removing a Graphics Card...did u try both on their own?

4) Try reseating the CPU (Make sure you use correct amount of thermal paste between CPU and Heatsink) and check CPU fan is working correctly/clear of dust etc...

Report back after that !!

I dont want to scare you, but I had similiar problems to you (lagging, freezing etc..) with an AMD3200+ CPU system and it turned out to be a damaged CPU
I've now tried to take away one of the rams, cleaned the cpu fan + taking out the cpu and placing it back into place again, checked all the cables (everything seems fine) including the power switch cable. I've also removed the front cover from the cabinet and pressed directly on the power button...Nothing helps.

Quote :1) Firstly, try resetting the BIOS by either A) Removing the battery from the Mainboard for 1 minute or B) using the Jumper on the motherboard...(your motherboard manual wil show you where it is)

This is a bit too scary for me I've decided to deliver it to a computer fixer tomorrow...But do you think that i need a new PSU even though the PSU is not really the problem here? I think 580W is a bit low when i have two 8800gts cards etc? That may be the reason from all the lagging/freezing i have had lately...

Thx for the help guys
Got my it back from the computer dude today, and he had done some testing on the PSU. It was actually generating too much power for the motherboard. So i'll get a new one from Hiper (warranty), but i have also ordered a more powerful PSU with 700w
Glad you got it sorted out fella
Quote from audimasta :Got my it back from the computer dude today, and he had done some testing on the PSU. It was actually generating too much power for the motherboard.

Theres a clsasic 'computer guy' quote right there.
Quote from audimasta :It was actually generating too much power for the motherboard.

I lol'd so hard I almost died.
I've never heard of a power supply generating too much power, but I guess it's possible.
#13 - JTbo
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I've never heard of a power supply generating too much power, but I guess it's possible.

It is just misunderstanding a bit, I'm almost certain that PSU did output too big voltage to motherboard.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I lol'd so hard I almost died.

I have no clue about electrics and/or power supply's

Quote from JTbo :It is just misunderstanding a bit, I'm almost certain that PSU did output too big voltage to motherboard.

Yes that was the case. Can't remember the voltages, but they where too high
Well your PSU sounds a little sketchy. Eventhough its 580watts, it may not be providing the amps that an SLI system would need...

The framedrop could be due to the processor, and the crashing might be RAM related. I'd say sell the PSU and get a good quality 600watt+
~Bryan~

Computer won't start
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG