The online racing simulator
shifting
(10 posts, started )
shifting
Is there any way to see shifting? i mean it feels stupid when rider keeps hes hands on the steering wheel and gears just go higher or lower
No, there is currently no option for this. If I'm using a steering wheel I just turn the driver and wheel off, or if I'm using a mouse I just leave the steering wheel on so I can see which way it's facing. I never have the driver turned on, which solves the problem for me!
Quote from batteryy :Is there any way to see shifting? i mean it feels stupid when rider keeps hes hands on the steering wheel and gears just go higher or lower

How would that be done without a sensor on your (real-life) hand?

Think about it - the first signal that LFS receives to initiate such an animation would be your shift knob clicking. But clicking the shift knob changes gear, it doesn't start the animation. If the animation had to play first, all gear shifts would be delayed by a few tenths which would be completely unacceptable. Alternatively, we could have the animation play after the gear shift is already done, which doesn't make any sense.

Any solutions to this problem would be clumsy and time-consuming. There are more important things to worry about.

Oh and please make your thread titles descriptive.
well, a basic animation could actually be triggered by the clutch... it would still be delayed a little, but as it's only an animation, I wouldn't bother too much.

But then, I generally don't think it would be worth the effort.
Quote from Lateralus :How would that be done without a sensor on your (real-life) hand?

Think about it - the first signal that LFS receives to initiate such an animation would be your shift knob clicking. But clicking the shift knob changes gear, it doesn't start the animation. If the animation had to play first, all gear shifts would be delayed by a few tenths which would be completely unacceptable. Alternatively, we could have the animation play after the gear shift is already done, which doesn't make any sense.

Any solutions to this problem would be clumsy and time-consuming. There are more important things to worry about.

Oh and please make your thread titles descriptive.

If i remember correctly, TDU use to put his hand down onto the shifter a bit before it made its peak power.
turn the driver and the wheel off - problem solved
Quote from Klutch :If i remember correctly, TDU use to put his hand down onto the shifter a bit before it made its peak power.

Well then what happens if one forgets to shift? The driver is animated performing a gear change without one actually occuring?

LFS's current system is the most sensible, IMO.
Quote from Not Sure :turn the driver and the wheel off - problem solved

Yup! Already a wheel and your own arms out in front of you, no need to display a second set
Is this what you want?
Yeah he means on that. When he shift to see drivers hand how he is shifting

shifting
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG