(17 posts, started )
Serious problem with BSOD's
Upgraded recently got

Q6600 Pro
Abit P35
2Gb Geil DDR2 Ram
ATi2900HD Pro
600W OCZ Psu

After a couple of setbacks getting up and running, I'm at least semi operational.

I put the CD that came with the Mobo and and let it install its crap.

One problem remains, and its driving me absolutly mad.

I get totaly random bsod's

Message is either [Drive_left_in_cache_locked] or some crap, or [(Driver)_Irql_is_not_equal_or below]

I'm so not sure what the problem is. I'm told its a driver.. yet which one? ._.
Occurences seem to totaly random, yet I've had these BSOD's on :
  • The Desktop.
  • TestDriveUnlimited
  • I've yet to have one in LFS or Call Of Duty 4.
Just.. someone.. please help me, Its really annoying me

If its any help, Bios+Speedfan report CPU temperatures 28~39 depending on load.

1000 cookies to whoever helps get this problem sorted
*hugs*

Please help my lost team mate, this problem makes him very sad and angry

But it makes him say funny thing by accident. Check my sig
I'd start with the basics. Get the latest drivers for your motherboard. I assume it's an Intel chipset, so go to Intel's site and download the chipset drivers. This usually fixes a lot of issues.
You can also go to your BIOS and disable things which you don't use such as parallel port, serial ports, and whatever else you don't use.

I would tell you to update your BIOS, but at this point I don't think it's safe since it needs to be done with a stable system, not one which crashes spontaneously.
Turn it upside-down and shake it. If anything falls out it's broken.

This sounds like facetious advice but it was a decent diagnostic on my girlfriend's laptop.
Quote from thisnameistaken :This sounds like facetious advice but it was a decent diagnostic on my girlfriend's laptop.

You'd be suprised, but my friend dropped his laptop on the ground and after that it actually worked better than before. So it's not bad advice!
Mmkay uh

My chipset drivers are the latest anyway, I'm un-installing the ATi drivers, and re-installing them.

Checking my logs, i get these errors :

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service to connect.

and

The IPSEC Services service terminated with the following error:
The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced.

Maybe it could be part of the cause? ._.
First one while running LFS, if its any help my G25 FF pulled it sharply to the full left position.

Here is the error log report :

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 1cc8e622, parameter2 0000001c, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804fae19.
Okay, sorry for the tripple post but I've had several, both in COD4, one while initialising the game. One while loading for online play, and the other when Just loaded, to the point where you can see the map, then I had a BSOD

Error codes :

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 8ea20568, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 80520fd7.

and

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 b92b3096, parameter3 b8cbfc6c, parameter4 b8cbf968.
#9 - garph
If it's been a problem since you upgraded I'd check the RAM timings in the BIOS, a lot of people seem to be having issues with motherboards not detecting RAM properly or not using the correct timings.
Okay well, I'll check it out next time I get a BSOD, or, as is happening alot recently now, my PC just gives me a black screen for a second, then it reboots itself. (no error messages) Its one effing problem after another. Yesterday I was playing COD4 online for a couple hours without a single problem, and now I can't even play it for 1 minute.

Atm I'm going to un-install and then re-install my ATI drivers, then I'll check about the RAM

Edit : Yeaaa, first try resulted in a wierd auto reboot/crash thing. Next boot resulted in BSOD due to ATIgual.dll or something, re-installing the Drivers, and so far no crashes. :\

I'm somewhat concerned because, could it be bad power? I have a 600w OCZ PSU - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... duct.php?prodid=CA-023-OC

Is that enough to run it all? I thought it would but my freind says the ATi2900HD Pro sucks power (requires both of the 6pin PCI-e plugs) along with my Q6600 ._.
Mmkay uh was installing the ATI drivers crap, and they I got a BSOD when it went onto the Steam thing (part of the 7.11 catalyst) and said

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or something like that

Then I had another one saying

A thread tried to release a resource it did not own. - Something along those lines.

Edit 2 : k Uh, was playing maple and again, without warning or error message, my pc just restarted. No error message, reboot and nothing comes up. Any reasons for this? :\

I'd love to try an older version of Catalyst, Maybe 7.10 or 7.09, but all the download links I could find just bring you to the official download page, which ofcourse gives you the latest ones.

Edit 3 : Another BSOD, this time with a file for the cause of the crash

"ks.sys"

This happened after transfering songs to my phone (which went smoothly) and when I was browsing through the photos on my PC using the motorolla software.

Edit 4 : Settings for the ram in BIOS are "auto". I have no reason to doubt they've done it wrong :\

Edit 5 : Had loads in the last 25 minutes, all in-coherant ramblings about USB_ROOT_HUB and USBPORT.SYS and so on.

Checking in bios I saw that on [auto] my cpu settings would bring out a total clock speed of 2.45Ghz. Thats over standard so I down-clocked it, now it registers at 2.39Ghz. Hoping that this will be the end of any errors. *crosses fingers*
#12 - arco
I ran a torture test on prime 95 for around 18 hours. No issues. Played cod4 for a couple hours online, no issues. All seems well

I'm hoping this problem is fixed.
I hope so too.

Angry Jamie is no fun
It does sound like a RAM issue, if the problem continues, go into the BIOS and check the timings on the RAM. Running memtest will let you know how stable the RAM is, but try loosening up the timings, and run a 1:1 ratio.
~Bryan~
If you have a VIA chipset on your motherboard it could be the problem.
recently VIA chipsets are having compatablility issues with ATI cards.
I don't think it effects PCI-E, but it might.
I know it effects AGP cards though. (its the only thing keeping me from playing LFS on my other computer)

Other than that, you should look for IRQ conflicts, mainly graphics card ones, since thats the only thing I can see that would cause them.

If you find an IRQ conflict there are a fue things you can do, it all depends on your motherboard.

First you can try and resolve it in the bios settings, if you're chipset supports it, there should be something like "assign PCI-E slot IRQ" or "assign video card IRQ"

second you can try and change it in windows, I can't remember how to do that since the last time I did it was on windows 98 about 5 years ago.

There are others, but you'll have to search the web to find what else you can do.

WARNING! DO NOT CHANGE IRQ SETTINGS UNLESS THERE IS A CONFLICT AND YOU KNOW A FREE IRQ. setting IRQs manualy is something you realy don't want to do. since you have to know how many IRQs your computer has and what ones arn't used.
I think there is a standard of 22 IRQs or something close to that number, it's been so long that I can't remember for sure though.
Do you have a sound card?

There was almost identical problem in Dead Men Forum, except he got BSOD is every game. It turned out to be the sound card. He had to format Windows to get rid of the problem.

Serious problem with BSOD's
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG