The online racing simulator
Look left/right
(32 posts, started )
#26 - col
Quote from yoyoML :I would prefer flight-sim style panning views: one click of view right and release = view stays at 45 degrees right; another right click = view stays at 90 degrees right.

That would be completely hopeless in a crowded high speed racing situation - e.g. T1 mayhem - and unfortunately a crowded high speed situation is exactly the place where the look buttons are most important. You need to be able to see to either side for only an instant and then be looking forward again or you will cause accidents !

I'm not sure about 'look at nearest car' - I would have to experience it before judging, but it is certainly missing on of the features that I find 90º look so useful for.
With 90º, you can easily see if the guy/gal beside you has fair overlap or not (and whether you do). With the look at car feature, I would never use it unless it was instant, and in that case, it would be difficult to judge how big an overlap the car has.
Another problem is that it is likely to be disorienting having your view changed in an arbitrary way that depends on the position of another car that you may not even be aware of - I'm pretty sure I would prefer to have a dependable 'look' that always did the same thing. That way it can become an instinctive part of my sensory input rather than a puzzle for my conscious brain

I've said elsewhere that I believe that 90º instant look is a good and fair compromise between fantasy and reality as a way to counteract the lack of peripheral vision when using a standard PC monitor.

When I race, I (used to) tap the look button, I see to the side for maybe 2 or 3 frames, and I'm looking forward again before my brain has even finished 'realizing' if there's another car beside me or not - it's a really intuitive way of getting better spacial awareness.

IMO the guys claiming that you don't ever turn you head 90º in a race car are missing the point! In real life, even with a helmet on and a harness, you should be able to get 180º of visual awareness with minimal head movements maybe 20-30º each way. The 45º look just doesn't do it, and now the 90º look is just way more awkward than it needs to be.

I know it is 'un-realistic', but this is about counteracting one very un-realistic problem (lack of peripheral vision) with an equally unrealistic solution (90º instant look) in order to make the overall experience more realistic.

ok, enough... soapbox anyone ?

Col
Well said
Quote from col :That would be completely hopeless in a crowded high speed racing situation - e.g. T1 mayhem - and unfortunately a crowded high speed situation is exactly the place where the look buttons are most important. You need to be able to see to either side for only an instant and then be looking forward again or you will cause accidents !

I'm not sure about 'look at nearest car' - I would have to experience it before judging, but it is certainly missing on of the features that I find 90º look so useful for.
With 90º, you can easily see if the guy/gal beside you has fair overlap or not (and whether you do). With the look at car feature, I would never use it unless it was instant, and in that case, it would be difficult to judge how big an overlap the car has.
Another problem is that it is likely to be disorienting having your view changed in an arbitrary way that depends on the position of another car that you may not even be aware of - I'm pretty sure I would prefer to have a dependable 'look' that always did the same thing. That way it can become an instinctive part of my sensory input rather than a puzzle for my conscious brain

I've said elsewhere that I believe that 90º instant look is a good and fair compromise between fantasy and reality as a way to counteract the lack of peripheral vision when using a standard PC monitor.

When I race, I (used to) tap the look button, I see to the side for maybe 2 or 3 frames, and I'm looking forward again before my brain has even finished 'realizing' if there's another car beside me or not - it's a really intuitive way of getting better spacial awareness.

IMO the guys claiming that you don't ever turn you head 90º in a race car are missing the point! In real life, even with a helmet on and a harness, you should be able to get 180º of visual awareness with minimal head movements maybe 20-30º each way. The 45º look just doesn't do it, and now the 90º look is just way more awkward than it needs to be.

I know it is 'un-realistic', but this is about counteracting one very un-realistic problem (lack of peripheral vision) with an equally unrealistic solution (90º instant look) in order to make the overall experience more realistic.

ok, enough... soapbox anyone ?

Col

+1 +1 You have pretty much nailed it on the head and put the coffin in the ground!!
#28 - CSU1

What happens if i'm trying to reverse out of chicane? the camera will jump between passing traffic
I have to agree with Col and Todd, I am a classic overuser of the look buttons (the only buttons I use for normal pickup racing) and several quick stabs of the left or right button, combined with a quick stab of both together gave me a very good awareness of what was around me. Since testing the latest patches, and trying to get used to the 45deg look, having to press both buttons just to look to the side just does not feel right for me, the total opposite feeling I had the first time I realised that pressing both buttons, gave me rear view, all those years ago

I would like to see an option added with the look= instant/smooth options (view) to be able to configure it (i would say the old way, but Im trying to believe the way it is now is more realistic) after all we are just staring at a fixed rectangular display, flashing x times a second and could use some spatial awareness when running side by side in a pack of speeding cars

IRL at least in a road car, who hasnt ever turned head to check if youve passed that lorry far enough to pull infront?

I feel so much less confidant turning in on someone whilst pressing unnessary buttons in an attempt to see if I might clip his front quarter, I suppose in a way restricting the ability to instantly look fully to the side will cause some extra racing incidents, or maybe enable passes with much less of a fight than before

SD.
I'd certainly like the 90degree instant look to be put back in, or at least make the it configurable. I find it equally annoying to have the mirrors out of my fov in some of the single-seaters. I always use virtual mirror with them because the mirrors should only be an eye movement away and should/would be in your peripheral vision at all times. I don't think it makes sense to have to press a button to look at the mirrors which takes your vision away from the road. You should be looking at both the mirrors and the road all the time, not one or the other.
#31 - CSU1
Quote from SparkyDave : spatial awareness when running side by side in a pack of speeding cars

Well said my friend.

@beckey, how much work have you done already on this? Thinking bout it, if i was to hold the infamous Shift key, i'd like to 'cam track'. Stuff it, i take back my -1 n' say yaay for hold shift key= TrackCam

E:

+2
All i can say is safety over realism in this matter, the old way is far better. I really hope there will be an option rather than forcing the new system on us.
Ive always being amazed how no other game has stolen the LFS look buttons! pure gold the old system is!

Look left/right
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG