The online racing simulator
How to shift each car
(27 posts, started )
#1 - Gil07
How to shift each car
For ste_

Road Cars + MiniGTRs + FZR: H-shifter (use the clutch and lift off throttle when shifting, blip throttle on downshifts)

FBM + MRT: Sequential stick, apply load to the gear lever with your hand and then lift the throttle foot off and back on to the pedal as fast as physically possible. In lifting your foot, the loaded gear lever will almost involuntarily flick to the next gear before the foot is re-applied to the throttle.

Other single seaters + XRR + FXR
: Sequential (stick or paddles), no need to lift on upshift, as they have ignition cut.

Please correct anything I have wrong, or any things to add.
This could go to the manual.

PS. I wonder why no one has updated the manual with FBM and clutch things, is it because the patch is not offical yet or is everyone just lazy?
Quote from Gil07 :Sequential stick, apply load to the gear lever with your hand and then lift the throttle foot off and back on to the pedal as fast as physically possible. In lifting your foot, the loaded gear lever will almost involuntarily flick to the next gear before the foot is re-applied to the throttle.

At first after reading this I thought 'hang on, the G25 has a powered gear lever?' then I just tried it with my DFP's sequential stick and it works really well

If you kind of hang your hand on the stick in anticipation of the change without making it click, then lift your foot, your hand automatically applies a bit more pressure to make the microswitch activate.
#4 - Gil07
Yeah, I copied that bit from a post explaining how it works in RL, but it also applies to LFS
Quote from Gil07 :Other single seaters + XRR + FZR: Sequential (stick or paddles), no need to lift on upshift, as they have ignition cut.

You mean FXR. The FZR you already listed as using H-shift, which is correct.
#6 - ste_
Thanks! Ten thumbs up for you, sir.
Quote from Gil07 :For ste_

Road Cars + MiniGTRs + FZR: H-shifter (use the clutch and lift off throttle when shifting, blip throttle on downshifts)

FBM: Sequential stick, apply load to the gear lever with your hand and then lift the throttle foot off and back on to the pedal as fast as physically possible. In lifting your foot, the loaded gear lever will almost involuntarily flick to the next gear before the foot is re-applied to the throttle.

Other single seaters + XRR + FZR
: Sequential (stick or paddles), no need to lift on upshift, as they have ignition cut.

i should've read this when i first drove the fbm lol!!! i was like... no way this only goes up to the third gear... shift dammit shift!!!! i forgot how i figured it out but i was like oh... i have to lift my foot up shift and put it down quick... im on dfp btw =]
#8 - Gil07
Quote from Cue-Ball :You mean FXR. The FZR you already listed as using H-shift, which is correct.

Exactly. Fixed, thanks!
Word of advice, don't prepare next gear in FBM too soon if there's bumps in the road as those can easily engange the gear change if rear end looses the touch on road. In SO chicane course I actually use the tram rails (?) at the entrance to main straight for switching gear from 5th to 6th since it allows me to do it without lifting throttle or clutchkicking... and I'm that lazy.
Quote from Crommi :Word of advice, don't prepare next gear in FBM too soon if there's bumps in the road as those can easily engange the gear change if rear end looses the touch on road. In SO chicane course I actually use the tram rails (?) at the entrance to main straight for switching gear from 5th to 6th since it allows me to do it without lifting throttle or clutchkicking... and I'm that lazy.

LOL! i'm guessing that it's a bug?
Nah, if you go over a bump, the engine is spinning freely, so you can shift (don't now all the technical terms )
I`m not quite sure, I seems to be fine in GTT just by going full trottle and gear? Did 7-8 laps and clutch was still ok even if I didn`t lift of the trottle. Maybe in longer race I have to lift it, or?
Quote from Gil07 :Nah, if you go over a bump, the engine is spinning freely, so you can shift (don't now all the technical terms )

ah... ic i never knew that, thanks for the info!
Quote from The Very End :I`m not quite sure, I seems to be fine in GTT just by going full trottle and gear? Did 7-8 laps and clutch was still ok even if I didn`t lift of the trottle. Maybe in longer race I have to lift it, or?

Autoclutch?
I use autoclutch yes.
Does that mean I only have to worry about shifting gears at right time to not butn cluthc?

Tho in the new car I have to release the trottle some, but not in the other cars
If you use autoclutch you won't need the button clutch, no. You can of course flatshift, but that'll wear your clutch out quickly.
I did some testing in the XRT with autoclutch and I didn't really notice any difference in clutch temperature if flat shifting or not. But it needs more testing I guess.

The acceleration is definately not slower if you lift off the throttle when upshifting, if anything, I would say it's a bit faster?
Quote from Gil07 :If you use autoclutch you won't need the button clutch, no. You can of course flatshift, but that'll wear your clutch out quickly.

So would you mind doing another guide for autoclutchers?

Road Cars + MiniGTRs + FZR:

FBM:

Other single seaters + XRR + FXR:
I don't know, don't do autoclutch
As i said in another thread, 10 laps in XFG flatshifting and auto clutch didn't worn the clutch, just a bit, like 1, 2 pixels of orange.. And i didn't noticed any engine damage, at least according to the lap times.. can someone confirm this?
How do you even start with autoclutch without braking your engine?

Someone should make a giude for autoclutch users, soon.

I mean why in earth we, momo racers can't use the old system with auto throttle cut and blip? There is still automatic gearbox...

-Gear change auto throttle cut and blip options removed

Why not remove automatic gearbox then? I don't see it being fair right now..
I tested some more, and the only place I seems to have problem with flatshifting is on Bl2 with RB4 car. After aprox 6 laps it might turn red and it will fuk your gears big time. So maybe I just should be used to do like I do in the new car, lift trottle when shifting.
Quote from Californian :How do you even start with autoclutch without braking your engine?

Someone should make a giude for autoclutch users, soon.

I mean why in earth we, momo racers can't use the old system with auto throttle cut and blip? There is still automatic gearbox...

-Gear change auto throttle cut and blip options removed

Why not remove automatic gearbox then? I don't see it being fair right now..

Eeeeh? First, automatic gearbox is always the slowest because you have no control what gear you are going to be. Secondly, automatic doesn't have blip that would be stabilizing the car under braking and therefore have advantage. Thirdly, auto clutch hasn't changed in any way since X10. It's still a robotic system that makes sure you can't stall and have clutch when changing up. Only way to heat your clutch is probably start with a too high gear and full revs.

Anyway, guide to the world of auto-clutch:

Make sure your gear rations are not too tall when starting. The automatic clutch doesn't drop it instantly, but allows slip and that will heat your clutch. Change up&down when you like, lifting slightly on upshift migh be recommended.
A short question to all the technical guys out there...

Does a "real" racecar loose turbo pressure, when lifting throttle, shifting and reapplying the throttle? This was one of the first things i noticed, after trying the X31... The "good" thing about cut blip thingy, was that it kept the turbo pressure at max. during gearchange... But the sound when lifting to shift is WAY more realistic than the old X10 Cut Blip thing...

Or am i in fact lifting the throttle too much?

One thing i will say is: Thank god i am here now, having to adjust my driving a little bit at a time. Think in a year or 2, how difficult it will be for noobs, to get the hang of LFS Maybe we need even more patience with noobs, and maybe help them, instead of just letting them know how bad they are...

MAYBE, it should be possible to have these "new" things as options for single player, so noobs in the future can learn bit by bit, as we can now...

Over and out for now... Click

EDIT: Spell checker wasn't working
Quote from Gil07 :Other single seaters + XRR + FXR: Sequential (stick or paddles), no need to lift on upshift, as they have ignition cut.

Not true for the MRT which is a single seater.

From my tests the MRT has to be driven like the FBM.

How to shift each car
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG