The online racing simulator
'Author Pratchett has Alzheimer's' :(
(6 posts, started )
My favourite author, Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease

Hes such a creative character this is a real shame, he says he will continue with his current book though.

Link to full story
#2 - Bean0
My favourite as well, love the Discworld series.

I read about this yesterday, sad news, but he seems to be taking it in his usual good humour...

Quote :AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

Nasty business, especially when it affects clever people like writers. Shame.
Quote from Bean0 :My favourite as well, love the Discworld series.

I read about this yesterday, sad news, but he seems to be taking it in his usual good humour...

Yea his comments made me giggle, what a legend.
I was gutted when I read that this morning. Been a Pratchett fan for more years than I can remember.

Hopefully they'll have caught it early enough that the drugs can hold it off for a while - my granddad has had it for about 7 or 8 years and the medication really seems to have noticably slowed down it's progress. God knows he'd have been like by now without it.
And of course Terry will have access to private treatment as well, so hopefully we'll be seeing his hat in bookstores for a while yet.
Read about this earlier today. Shame really, but it's not as if the amount of literature Mr. Pratchett has churned out over the years could easily be described as lacklustre. For me, his most memorable Discworld novel has to be 'The Reaperman'. Perhaps this will be one of his works that will... 'resurface', once the dementia has terminally set in.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG