The online racing simulator
LFS on a pen drive
(22 posts, started )
LFS on a pen drive
Given that the version X download is only 120MB and that the installation doesn't use the system folders at all, is it possible to run LFS entirely from a USB pen-drive? So I could carry a copy of LFS round with me all the time to use on any PC I happen to be sat at?
Yupp I've done it. It won't hold a license unlock when you switch computers, but it holds graphic settings, controller settings, and all of that. That's what I love about LFS, it's completely self-sufficent.

For the record, I've been using Patch X on a 512MB RCA mp3 Player at school.
~Bryan~
Probably not (at least not licensed mode) As the computer hardware would vary, locking the game.

Additionally... is there enough bandwidth through a usb port to run the game? I think that would be the issue.

[EDIT] beaten.
Quote from MAGGOT :Additionally... is there enough bandwidth through a usb port to run the game? I think that would be the issue.

That would only affect loading times.
I might do that with my 128MB flash drive. remove setups, skins, high res ddses. the only issue is the crap school computers I'd be playing LFS on.
Well loading cars and tracks take a little while (this was on USB 1.1, I'm sure 2.0 wouldn't be as bad) But once in-game everything is done via computer, so any lag is the computer itself. My school uses fairly shitty Dell's that are a few years out-dated and I can still run a decent game of LFS at the end of class with friends

PS, Zoomy, I'd find a bigger flash drive if I were you, it wouldn't be worth the effor to keep an LFS installation under that file-size.
~Bryan~
Quote from dropin_biking :Well loading cars and tracks take a little while (this was on USB 1.1, I'm sure 2.0 wouldn't be as bad) But once in-game everything is done via computer, so any lag is the computer itself. My school uses fairly shitty Dell's that are a few years out-dated and I can still run a decent game of LFS at the end of class with friends

PS, Zoomy, I'd find a bigger flash drive if I were you, it wouldn't be worth the effor to keep an LFS installation under that file-size.
~Bryan~
~Bryan~

our computers are best for Google earth flight simulator. I did see one person download LFS 0.3G from download.com once. it sort of worked. (well at 5FPS)
We have a gaming club at my school for dinnertimes. I put it on my USB stick and played it there a few times but after a while got some error messages. Had to go back to playing Unreal tournament .
Hmmm I believe thats a problem with the computers themselves. A properly setup copy of LFS on a USB drive should work on any system running XP due to plug-n-play and Windows being able to read off it.
~Bryan~
XP? darn we have windows 98
Ahh that could explain it. I've been on some old 98's our school had, they just wouldn't boot LFS off the drive, kept giving read errors or process would just crash, I had to copy the contents to the harddrive.
~Bryan~
My school has XP. Ah well, i removed it from my USB now anyway.
I still use the CMX viewer on mine.
I tried to do that but guess what my shitty pen drive has got 1mb less than i need suppose thats what u get with a £5.00 one from the school office lol.

Edit: Just remembered that was M3 Challange i tried that with.
Edit 2 lol: I'm trying now
grrr, my school pc's dont initiate graphics.....

GRRRRRR
Hurray for 8600GT's at my school!
Good LFS uses the graphic card a lot :rolleyes:
If your CPU is crap, a new graphic card wouldn`t help a shit.
Well, at my school:
4 GB Ram (Used for rendering )
Some sort of Core2Duo (2.16 GHz, dunno which it is)
8600GT's

Pretty decent machines, particularly when we use them for rendering, however they'd be decent gaming machines too
As a matter of fact i dont have a version of lfs on my computer. I load mine from my removable harddrive. plus me and some guys used to play s2 w at school. I copied it onto the network folders and they copied it onto their computers and about 7 of us played on the demo.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :XP? darn we have windows 98

Then install this generic driver (attached file) and reboot.
It should work with any standard USB stick.
Attached files
wtgenusb.zip - 10.2 KB - 119 views
Yes it works, have it on my external drive I use at Uni.

I cant unlock the full game or play multiplayer at all because the servers wont connect, but I can still have a blast at hot lapping on Blackwood.

LFS on a pen drive
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG