The online racing simulator
This whining
(152 posts, started )
Quote from wsinda :...If their development decisions alienate part of the current userbase from LFS, then I expect that the devs want to know why.

Is this the same userbase that keeps getting alienated with every single patch that makes changes in the gameplay? Last time I checked LFS is the most popular racing simulator at the moment and has a steady growth too?
Quote from JTbo :No it is realistic

By that logic, whenever one crashes, one should smash one's self in the head with a hammer. Realistic, right? :rolleyes:

Quote from JTbo :would you like to see road or speedo?

The road, of course. I must be clear I'm not complaining about not being able to see the dashboard. I don't really care what it says. Patch Y is better in every way. But your arguments are totally illogical and downright condescending.

Quote from JTbo :
We see far more in our monitors that what we see IRL without moving head or changing where we look

Really? Here's what I see in the FBMW with FOV set at 100. Please show which parts of that image would be outside my field of vision if I were actually sitting in a real FBMW.

Quote from JTbo :
BTW, with projector setup you can easily read your speed

So what? Projector setups are the extreme minority and thus have no significance in this discussion.
Don't worry, LFS will not alienate anyone. I'm sure there is a reason why you, me, and thousands of other people come here on a regular basis: because we love this game. When you love a game, you won't stop loving it cause of some minor changes such as no throttle blip. Anyone who loves this game would learn to play the game in a new way to account for these changes. And anyone who doesn't want to change their ways, but who want to complain, don't deserve sympathy from anyone here, especially the devs.

Scawen started this LFS project to try to make the most realistic racing simulator possible. People liked it, and still do, because it is more difficult and realistic than other (arcade) games on the market.

Well it just got even more difficult. People who like this game will adapt, and people who don't like it will find something easier. But I don't think we will lose people, as this is by far the best racing game out there, and anyone who goes from this to NFS will be back here in a heartbeat.

This is the game now. Learn to play it, or .
Quote from wsinda :Had to get that off my chest.

Was just about to post almost the exact same thing.

There are some things that people shouldn't whine about - such as demo racers whinging that they can't freeload off the devs anymore by forever using the XRT, or those that refuse to manage clutch heat or expect to flatshift now that throttle cut is gone.

But things like FOV, speedometers, look functions, viewpoints, and so on should imho be the choice of the individual as they don't affect the physics, mechanics or anything else of the gameplay. The choices made with these simply reflect a user's system, including CPU power, monitor size and arrangement, and controller. Nobody except Scawen has any right to tell me what FOV I use (frankly, 20° is plain idiocy and completely unrealistic - unless you're in the habit of wearing a balaclava with small eye holes on the outside of a full face helmet. Or some kind of arrangement involving bincoluars).
Call me a stupid, but ain't field of view limited to 30 degree in LFS anyway? How do you use 20... And yeh I am using 90 degree FOV (Which seems the most realistic to me) and I can still see the digits fine, because they are indicated on a speed gauge next to my screen
Quote from Riders Motion :Call me a stupid, but ain't field of view limited to 30 degree in LFS anyway? How do you use 20... And yeh I am using 90 degree FOV (Which seems the most realistic to me) and I can still see the digits fine, because they are indicated on a speed gauge next to my screen

30 is the minimum; I just tried it.

I'm using 100 right now because that is the lowest number which still allows me to see all of my mirrors in the F1 car.
-
(Lateralus) DELETED by Lateralus : duplicate
#32 - JTbo
Quote from Lateralus :
Really? Here's what I see in the FBMW with FOV set at 100. Please show which parts of that image would be outside my field of vision if I were actually sitting in a real FBMW.

You have missed whole idea, your IRL FOV is something near 180 degrees and spread your arms, now how wide is your 'display' to IRL world? It is very same near 180 degrees, now take both arms and put them sides of your monitor, is this how much less than what you really see? It happens to be that 20 degrees or perhaps bit less

wsinda, sorry if it sounds like that to you, I really suck expressing myself at english, but for example that ban thing, now those threads are for bug reporting, that is to report bugs not wishing new features or anything like that, those are test patches for reason.

If you look all that in their original context, you will see that it is mostly criticism of spamming opinions to those bug threads.

I would say to speedo thing that if one really learns to drive without looking speedo, he is more aware of surroundings and more like enjoying from actual driving than learning to press right button at right time, isn't that purpose of simulation, to drive instead of play?
Quote from JTbo :You have missed whole idea, your IRL FOV is something near 180 degrees and spread your arms, now how wide is your 'display' to IRL world? It is very same near 180 degrees, now take both arms and put them sides of your monitor, is this how much less than what you really see? It happens to be that 20 degrees or perhaps bit less

This makes NO SENSE AT ALL.
Quote from spankmeyer :Is this the same userbase that keeps getting alienated with every single patch that makes changes in the gameplay? Last time I checked LFS is the most popular racing simulator at the moment and has a steady growth too?

Read again. I'm not saying that past patches have alienated users, or that patch Y would do so for sure. But if the patch would have that effect, then Scawen won't be able to know why, because the grumblers have been silenced by the fanboys.

(Besides, growth in userbase doesn't imply that you're not losing fans. Merely that you're gaining fans faster than losing them.)
#35 - JTbo
Quote from Lateralus :This makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

Well look out from window, do you see whole yard ? Monitor is your window.

I'm sure you can understand point behind it, if you just let yourself to understand.

It is true that using such low FOV would be stupid, it would be impossible to drive with it, but then you would see game world 1:1 without making objects smaller than they are

I'm using 80 nowdays, used to be 95 but have learned slowly to lower, makes it easier to hit apex, but bit harder to know what is around you. Compromises, how I hate those
#36 - JTbo
Quote from wsinda :Read again. I'm not saying that past patches have alienated users, or that patch Y would do so for sure. But if the patch would have that effect, then Scawen won't be able to know why, because the grumblers have been silenced by the fanboys.

(Besides, growth in userbase doesn't imply that you're not losing fans. Merely that you're gaining fans faster than losing them.)

I really am against silencing, but I think people should do it in right place, not at bug threads, they can make new thread or maybe if devs like to hear opinions about changed features they would make thread where people could post their thoughts.
Quote from JTbo :Well look out from window, do you see whole yard ? Monitor is your window.

I'm sure you can understand point behind it, if you just let yourself to understand.

Yes, it's quite understandable.

Just completely irrelevant to the concept of representing a driver's point of view on a monitor.
First of all I've not tried the patch yet, but regarding the loss of Digital speedo, I admit I have become addicted to it lately, using it as a benchmark or guide for lap times,I,m so glad I can now go cold turkey
The car Tell's you when you get a corner right That for me is what makes LFS so special, Maybe now I will watch the track more, think about my line more, instead of having to get XXMPH through t1

I think this change is a good move in the long term for LFS.
Quote from JTbo :Well look out from window, do you see whole yard ? Monitor is your window.

It is true that using such low FOV would be stupid, it would be impossible to drive with it, but then you would see game world 1:1 without making objects smaller than they are

I'm using 80 nowdays, used to be 95 but have learned slowly to lower, makes it easier to hit apex, but bit harder to know what is around you. Compromises, how I hate those

Aha! I just misunderstood exactly what you were trying to say. I (and evidently others) thought you were trying to say that setting the FOV to 20 is the only sensible way to play.

What you're saying makes sense now, and I fully agree. I'll probably lower my FOV from 100 because I don't really drive the F1 car anyway.

Thank you for being civil and reasonable.

EDIT:
Quote from STROBE :Yes, it's quite understandable.

Just completely irrelevant to the concept of representing a driver's point of view on a monitor.

This too. I fully understand that what we see on the monitor is just a representation, and not true-to-life. But until we all have 360-degree displays, we'll have to accept these limitations.

On a somewhat related topic, I disagree that a speedometer is totally useless on a racetrack. Pre-patch Y I used it regularly to get my shift timing exactly right. For example, my FOX / AS Club setup redlighted for 6th gear at 204kph. When the time to shift was close, I'd put my hand on the shifter in anticipation. Crossing through 203 kph, I'd pull the knob to shift, just before the red light. This resulted in a better shift and thus more speed than waiting until the red light is on to initiate a shift. Now I'm not saying that anything in patch-Y should be changed, or that I have less fun because of this. I like the change simply because it's another variable. But for the record, I did use the speedo while racing and it helped me be faster.
Quote from JTbo :BTW, with projector setup you can easily read your speed

Yup. I've got no problems at all. The speedo in the XRT is about 5" diameter.
#41 - JTbo
I do remember when I did keep eyes on speedo, I think it was before S1 time, but then someone learned me away from that and my god that I became faster, well now I'm slow no matter what I do, but it sure is quite lot of fun to right on other's bumper, could not do that when watching speedo

It really annoys me that I can't express myself enough clearly, but little argument in good spirit is never bad thing, as there is no absolute truth there is always chance to learn something new

Quote from Cue-Ball :Yup. I've got no problems at all. The speedo in the XRT is about 5" diameter.

It really helps indeed, much better to invest projector than 30" tft if looking to play LFS
Quote from JTbo :your IRL FOV is something near 180 degrees and spread your arms, now how wide is your 'display' to IRL world? It is very same near 180 degrees, now take both arms and put them sides of your monitor, is this how much less than what you really see? It happens to be that 20 degrees or perhaps bit less

It's no use trying to find "the most realistic" FOV setting. Humans can see a small part of their view (what they focus on) in good detail. The rest is blurry and only detects movement and colours, but it gives a fairly wide view, even without head movement. A monitor has moderate detail, but uniformly across the screen. The screen doesn't move and is relatively small (unless you are rich). It's useless comparing the two.

What would be most like the human eye would be to have HUDs for the things that you often need to focus on: the dashboard, the mirrors (which LFS has), and the apex (which is not in LFS).
Quote :wsinda, sorry if it sounds like that to you, I really suck expressing myself at english, but for example that ban thing, now those threads are for bug reporting, that is to report bugs not wishing new features or anything like that, those are test patches for reason.

Yes, bug threads get misused. But if people complain about the changes in other, more appropriate threads, then they get the same reaction. OK, maybe not from you. But you put "whining" in the thread title, and I think you know that the word has a negative connotation.
#43 - JTbo
Good headlines wake up people and sell papers, or how it was?

I have tested LFS with projector setup and it does open eyes really, everyone should have such, too bad it is not possible.

But as picture gets bigger, you can see everything more real way, it would be unrealistic to have some floating widget on such display.

Big picture offers more realistic window to world of LFS, it would be shame if some artificial game play elements would spoil that.

One thing to mention though, why don't get GPS speedo as upgrade option, of course it would have to be realistic size, but I guess there is big number models too?
That would be nice and realistic option to have, imo.
I prefer the digital speedo becuase I just can't read the darn numbers in kmh from 90 FOV. MPH is fine, its just KMH. we
#45 - JTbo
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I prefer the digital speedo becuase I just can't read the darn numbers in kmh from 90 FOV. MPH is fine, its just KMH. we

This reminds me actually about how I deal with pit limit, I just check which of those messy spots is larger, that is 100, then one below is 80, after that it is just checking angle of speedo and I don't need to care it much more.

Angle of speedo is where I look speeds elsewhere too if I need to, most accurate way is to listen revs and know what gear you are, this is what I use when going around corner so that I don't blow 130kph instead of 110kph
Quote from JohnPenn :First of all I've not tried the patch yet, but regarding the loss of Digital speedo, I admit I have become addicted to it lately, using it as a benchmark or guide for lap times,I,m so glad I can now go cold turkey
The car Tell's you when you get a corner right That for me is what makes LFS so special, Maybe now I will watch the track more, think about my line more, instead of having to get XXMPH through t1

That is exactly how I was I had digital speedo and was always conscoius of my mid corner speeds. I also used to flatshift the hell out of all cars oh and did I mention that up until recently (last 3-6 months) I've used almost exclusivly custom wheels view

My observations regarding Test Patch X30:

1. Engine Inertia: - I have been driving with the limited slip diff's since preload was introduced some time ago, not because it was better than locked diff but because it should be!
I was always bothered by the rpm pulldown on the LSD in the transient section of corner entry. With the improved engine inertia model this problem is gone totally which allows more realistic setup of the diff and has made a HUGE improvement in the realism and handling of the cars. Before I found how the cars handle in LFS to be good but not totally believable now it is good enough to actually be believable. There is far greater imersion in this aspect of the game than there has ever been, you can now drive more by feel than you could ever do in the past. It's come along way baby

2. Removal of Digital Speedo: - Was a little worried that my beloved digital readout was being removed but jumped into the new patch with a positive view. Still have virtual dials as I can actually see them may change in the future with three monitor setup
Anyway have found now I am looking at the RPM as much if not more than the speedo for corner speed and suspect as time goes on a quick glance at rpm every now an then is all I need. I find it isn't actually so critical with the improved handling to get the corner perfect as you can feel the car better at the limit than previously.
So I think its removal adds to the immersion and give a level playing field. I look forward to the times when racing is much more raw and not just hotlapping and this imo is a step in the right direction

3. Clutch Modeling: - again was a little concerned how it was going to effect gameplay (as I flat shift the hell out of everything) and only have a momo wheel (no clutch). Prior to trying patch was thinking I'd probably need to update to G25.
The first try in an XFG I was getting quite abit of clutch heat (just hitting red) due to old habits. Noticed straight away that if you flat shift the clutch slipped for a second as revs matched which generated alot of heat. So started to practise different methods of changing gear and lifting off to reduce clutch heat. Quickly adapted to it and gotta say I love it as it adds a whole new dimension to the racing experience adding to the immersion level

4. AI improvements: - huge improvements in the AI! A few things still bother me with them though. Their skills at recovering from incidents suck if there is another car in the way they will persist in trying to drive through it. And I haven't tried them extensively yet but I'd still love to see the AI learn from the human players somehow, be interesting to see if they do now. But I suspect they don't.

Overall I absolutly love the New LFS I find the immersion level has jumped up several notches, and think that over the next few months we will start to see quite different setups than we have seen in the past. Hopefully more realitic.
It already seems to me that more realistic diff setups are easier on the clutch and I suspect camber angles might come down abit as well as the cars are behaving quite differently in the transient sections of corners.
Quote from JohnPenn :First of all I've not tried the patch yet, but regarding the loss of Digital speedo, I admit I have become addicted to it lately, using it as a benchmark or guide for lap times,I,m so glad I can now go cold turkey

You nailed it right on the head there! The only time I bother to look at the speedo is when I leave the pit lane in non speed limited cars. I do not think some will want to admit this, but I think the vast majority of the people disappointed are the cruise dwellers.
#48 - JTbo
Quote from jayhawk :You nailed it right on the head there! The only time I bother to look at the speedo is when I leave the pit lane in non speed limited cars. I do not think some will want to admit this, but I think the vast majority of the people disappointed are the cruise dwellers.

It does not matter if they are cruisers, racers, drifters whatever, thay are allowed to be disappointed and also let that out, as long as they do that in proper places
Quote from JTbo :It does not matter if they are cruisers, racers, drifters whatever, thay are allowed to be disappointed and also let that out, as long as they do that in proper places

Fair point. But I tell you what, I challenge you to one week of not using the speedo at all when racing. Trust your instincts, you may be suprised....
#50 - JTbo
Quote from jayhawk :Fair point. But I tell you what, I challenge you to one week of not using the speedo at all when racing. Trust your instincts, you may be suprised....

Muahahha, wrong move

I can't see speedo of FBM even I wear my glasses and look very closely of screen, I can barely distinquish 7x kph from 8x kph if I look close and hard, but that is about it, so I could say I haven't looked that speedo ever

But ok, I turn off speedos completely from my cars, however I'm bit trouble with fuel gauge then, well that won't be a problem as I have always enough extra, I tell then from experience

This whining
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG