The online racing simulator
#1 - kubax
What advantage of 900 deg. wheel over 270?
Hi racing maniacs
Originally I thought that my wheel is 270 but it is 180 in fact which I cannot correct in the post title but I corrected below.

I am pretty fresh in LFS I think (just 3k laps). What I love in the game it is good physics/realism in racing online with formula cars. I mainly race BL GP with BF1 and AS national with FOX. I can win some races mainly due to beeing consistent/safe than fast. But I want to win more and especially compete with best racers as you could imagine I believe I will get better speed with more practice but I wonder what do you think about limitations from the wheel?
I use Logitech Formula Force GP which I bought for really low price. It is 180 degree FF wheel with paddles and 2 pedals. I like it very much but I suspect I miss some precise movement because of its 180 deg. I also suffer some looseness in the FF in neutrl position - I mean FF drops a little when I pass neutral position which makes my steering a little not linear.

What I want to ask you is how much 420/540 degree (like DFP or maybe G25) wheel would help to get 1 second lower which I miss so much?
My PBs are:
- 54.7 BL BF1
- 1:02.03 AS club FOX
I can race pretty consistent at:
- 55.5 BL BF1
- 1:02.50 AS club FOX
and my main problems are to keep good line and full throttle at chicanes:
T2,3,4 on BL and T2,3 on As club.

Can you help?

BR, kubax (DaddyCool in the game
You'll probably be slower with more lock. And besides, the single seaters benefit least from more lock as they are, well, single seaters.

If you want more speed, more lock isn't the answer.
Quote from kubax :Hi racing maniacs
I am pretty fresh in LFS I think (just 3k laps). What I love in the game it is good physics/realism in racing online with formula cars. I mainly race BL GP with BF1 and AS national with FOX. I can win some races mainly due to beeing consistent/safe than fast. But I want to win more and especially compete with best racers as you could imagine I believe I will get better speed with more practice but I wonder what do you think about limitations from the wheel?
I use Logitech Formula Force GP which I bought for really low price. It is 270 degree FF wheel with paddles and 2 pedals. I like it very much but I suspect I miss some precise movement because of this 270 deg. I also suffer some looseness in the FF in neutrl position - I mean FF drops a little when I pass neutral position which makes my steering a little not linear.

What I want to ask you is how much 420/540 degree (like DFP or maybe G25) wheel would help to get 1 second lower which I miss so much?
My PBs are:
- 54.7 BL BF1
- 1:02.03 AS club FOX
I can race pretty consistent at:
- 55.5 BL BF1
- 1:02.50 AS club FOX
and my main problems are to keep good line and full throttle at chicanes:
T2,3,4 on BL and T2,3 on As club.

Can you help?

BR, kubax (DaddyCool in the game

Well I was using MoMo Black wheel and i think that has a lock of 270 and the day I got my G25 I changed the lock to 900 and I saw a rapid change in splits and over all times. I was doing 1:28x consistently and now after a total of 2-3 hours hot lapping and practicing I've managed to get 1:26.xx. I'm assuming the wheel has alot to do with it, but I'm looking to get better times overall
#4 - kubax
Hi Tristan.
I am not sure if what I mean is missing lock. It is true that I did my BL BF1 PB with maximum lock = 9 (minimal value). But after got new setup from nBio with Maximum lock = 16 (he probably uses 900 deg wheel) I realized how different it is. And more important I could manage chicane faster = I improved 1st split from 19.7 down to 18.9 and I can race at some 19.2. But I never improoved my PB with this new set
I have a DFP and always adjust the degrees of rotation of the wheel, to the maximum lock of the car in LFS, and I can tell that it won´t make go faster because it´s harder to drive that way, specially if you need to correct a slide ( the relative slow response of the DFP also helps in this). But, to me, it makes the driving much more fun, and now I'm so used to it, that if I change from a single-seater to a road car and forget to adjust the steering in the setup, I always crash in the first turn...
I meant lock on your steering wheel - 240° or 400° etc
There is no relationship between speed (laptimes) and controllers or wheel range. The car is the same and unless you run a single seater at 900 degrees steering, a good lap is a smooth one, not too busy on the steering front..

Realism is a good reason. The G25 at some 400 or 500 degrees is much closer to real single seaters than any of the other wheels available. Needless to say, driving a road car with a ~210 .. 240 degrees turning wheel makes little sense, your steering is bound to be 3, 4 or 5 times too sensitive.
I went from around 480°-540° to 720° only recently on my DFP, and the greatest benefit I can see is a much more natural feel. Having to turn your wheel almost as far as you would have to in real life just makes the experience so much more convincing, that I'm not going to go back. Even though it's much harder to catch a slide. But than again, it's imho easier to avoid the slide in the first place, which should be the goal anyway in racing.

As for the single seaters, this of course does not make much of a difference, but somehow it still feels better, I think. So steering set to 720° and wheel turn compensation at 1.00 is imho the top choice.
#9 - kubax
Thats what I expect Niels! I suspect I am also to sensitive in SS - about 2.5 times. So I expect a wheel with some 450 deg. of lock would give me less sensitivity=more precise steering with more lock when I need it (getting out from slide). That could improve quality of my reaction. I suspect I react to sensitive now which helps to slide which beats the speed. True?
Quote from kubax :I use Logitech Formula Force GP which I bought for really low price. It is 270 degree FF wheel with paddles and 2 pedals. I like it very much but I suspect I miss some precise movement because of this 270 deg. I also suffer some looseness in the FF in neutrl position - I mean FF drops a little when I pass neutral position which makes my steering a little not linear.

this one has 180° as far as i know

Quote from TypeRCivic :Well I was using MoMo Black wheel and i think that has a lock of 270

but i do know that this one has only 240°. I think people only get confused because the standard value in LFS is 270°. Even Jakg used it for his wheel guide one
Quote from Linsen :I went from around 480°-540° to 720° only recently on my DFP, and the greatest benefit I can see is a much more natural feel. Having to turn your wheel almost as far as you would have to in real life just makes the experience so much more convincing, that I'm not going to go back. Even though it's much harder to catch a slide. But than again, it's imho easier to avoid the slide in the first place, which should be the goal anyway in racing.

As for the single seaters, this of course does not make much of a difference, but somehow it still feels better, I think. So steering set to 720° and wheel turn compensation at 1.00 is imho the top choice.

+1.. I did the exact same as you, changing from 400 to 720 and wheel turn compensation at 1.00. While it may not be faster, it is a lot more immersive and true to life, which is the whole point of SIM racing, IMHO...
510N3D u're right - I misinterpreted the setting but phisycally the wheel is about 180 deg. If so than the steering is very sensitive relative to some 420 in F1 bolid and relative to 450 lock set with DFP. Does anybody have an experience of changing from 180 wheel to 450 ?
Or maybe I should ask those who ride with 180 wheel - what is your PB with BF1 on BL track? What about AS club and FOX?
I know that the controller cannot make bettter than a driver and I know that there are drivers doing 53.x on Blackwood with keyboard and pad. But still I wonder opinion from someone having these experience from 180 degree wheel?
Hi,
PLease comment if you have good experience with the topic.

Keep racing, kubax (DaddyCool)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG