The online racing simulator
Do you reach a form of insanity from trying to improve?
Hi all! something that I feel like I'm reaching these days is a form of insanity. No joke, I do mean it. I appreciate the driving ability of such drivers as Bawbag, hannu, flotch, Biohazard and biggi (and any of the other usual WR setters if I forgot to mention ). Anyway, even though I appreciate their skill, I do want to be as good or even better than they are, its only natural as I am quite a competitive character but I feel like I'm so far away and that its almost impossible.

Some of you may think that I take it too seriously but racing is a HUGE part of my life. Even though I'm not racing anything yet, I strive win, to be the best in any form of racing that I'm involved in and in this case, LFS.

So, do you believe that if someone were to work hard enough that they can be as good or better as the best or should I just give up hope and just depress myself?
Quote from Leprekaun :Hi all! something that I feel like I'm reaching these days is a form of insanity. No joke, I do mean it. I appreciate the driving ability of such drivers as Bawbag, hannu, flotch, Biohazard and biggi (and any of the other usual WR setters if I forgot to mention ). Anyway, even though I appreciate their skill, I do want to be as good or even better than they are, its only natural as I am quite a competitive character but I feel like I'm so far away and that its almost impossible.

Some of you may think that I take it too seriously but racing is a HUGE part of my life. Even though I'm not racing anything yet, I strive win, to be the best in any form of racing that I'm involved in and in this case, LFS.

So, do you believe that if someone were to work hard enough that they can be as good or better as the best or should I just give up hope and just depress myself?

good question, i guess firstly u need to take interest in it, because if you force your self to be the best at something you dont like being than its no1-not fun no2-really hard. But like you said you do seem to like racing, so if i was you i would give it a go and try and reach for the tops. Although i you were trying for lets say 3-4months and dont get really better and start to get stressy i would stop it as it could ruin, dont know how to say this, your whole "hobby" of racing i guess. Anyway just my thoughts
#3 - (SaM)
In your case, a winner presses on. A 'loser' gives up. It's your decision. What are you made of?

I'm sure there is a difference between the WR holders and you, theyre born with a certain capacity that helps them putting down insane laptimes, whilst you are putting down at least as much effort and you don't succeed.
However, this does not mean you will never make it, it will take trust and confidence in yourself to be able to reach it. Forget about failure. Failure is not an option. Focus on the car and lines.

One day, you'll reach it.
Quote from Leprekaun :Hi all! something that I feel like I'm reaching these days is a form of insanity. No joke, I do mean it. I appreciate the driving ability of such drivers as Bawbag, hannu, flotch, Biohazard and biggi (and any of the other usual WR setters if I forgot to mention)....

imo the difference between the top few percent of truely quick drivers and the rest of us in LFS is that the majority of us seek to learn the skills of driving secondary to learning the tracks (i.e. we focus way too much attention to emulating WR lap time rather than mastering driving skills)

I think mastering the cars and physics of LFS is the first prority to being a top driver and then you will have the ability and confidence to attack the top drivers on any track combo by searching out the fastest way around a circuit. What I am trying to say is don't get caught up trying to emulate lines etc and just doing hundreds of laps searching for a few more fractions of a millisec. Instead if your quite abit off pace (more than 0.3s) question yourself on whether or not your technique can be improved or if there is a faster technique. It's common to see guys doing almost identical lines etc but being as much as 1 sec different in lap times and that is mostly down to better techniques imo.
Quote from Leprekaun :racing is a HUGE part of my life. Even though I'm not racing anything

well that almost made my day
I agree with Glenn, when someone asks you how to take a turn faster you shouldn't really have much of an answer for them other than 'ummmm you just...go faster'. If you try and teach someone your lines, they may go a bit quicker, but ultimately they need to work it out for themselfs to be really fast.
#7 - JTbo
Problem is how to stay at car's limits all the time, also making setup that works for you and still is fast, perhaps latter one is more important.

But yes, it can be quite frustrating at times, specially when that last bit of performance is missing and when you kind of know where the problem is but can't really fix it.
Doing your best is the only requirement for a clear conscience.
Quote from Leprekaun :So, do you believe that if someone were to work hard enough that they can be as good or better as the best or should I just give up hope and just depress myself?

I completely agree with what (SaM) has said, hard work will always win talent, talent is just an excuse for the people who can't accept they are not strong enough to keep fighting - IMHO.

I remember beating biggie's record at AS Historic in Test Drive, took me 3 months, and another 3 to make my own setup and get the WR, how much did it last? A week! But nothing is going to erase what I've learned from that, and that is the important. Selfconfidence and hard work will get you closer to them, no matter how big is the leap.

s!
I don't think you can always get to the top by just practicing. Talent is not just going fast, its a different way of thinking, that persons brain is able to react differently and see things others can't. I had this arguement with my friend a long time ago, he claimed that anyone could be taught how to sing like a pro. I said not everything can be taught, some things are just unique to a certain person and the way their body and mind work. You can get to the top through hard work and practice, and without hard work you won't get far no matter how much talent you have. But sometimes you just can't beat people, and sometimes you see something so amazing you just can't explain it, or copy it, no matter how much you practice.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG