The online racing simulator
New rush of FPS games
(55 posts, started )
Slight bumpity bump....Just finished CoD4 Single Player campaign...friggin AWESOME storyline, and a great ending....spoiler:
SOD OFF!! Buy it and finish it yourself to see the ending!!! ROFL!!one!!1!!

Just (slowly) getting to grips with MP..so far I am up to rank 7..but sure is funSmile
Anybody wants to add me on Xfire..username thingy is "ukbladey".
If you see me online, please go easy, I iz ony a likkel n00b Frown
CoD4 is fantastic.
I played the beta on Xbox360, the demo on PC and bought it for the 360. I've finished the single player, done a load of the arcade modes (although I've apparently not unlocked all of the levels) and am currently rank 43 in multiplayer. I just can't stop playing the damn thing.

And there's a patch out for the PC version today to fix some stuff. Don't know if the other versions will need or be getting this though.
added you bladey, cod4 is good as is timeshift, crysis, ut3. but my personal fav is still bf 2142 and bf2
Quote from Dajmin :.....................

And there's a patch out for the PC version today to fix some stuff. Don't know if the other versions will need or be getting this though.

TBH I cannot see much that needs fixing, it is surprisingly not very buggy at all...unlike that P.O.S. UT3...I can't even play that online!! Frown
#30 - DeKo
CoD4 has been occupying me since the day it came out, one of the best games ive ever played. (On PC, i cant stand a console controller for an FPS)
I used to have real problems with joypads in FPS games, but I got used to it and now it's all good. It's never going to be as accurate as mouse/keyboard, but doing it this way means I can use my PC for other stuff while playing. That's pretty much the reason I got consoles in the first place Smile
I like Arma...bit like why I play LFS and not some arcade driving game. Cod4 looks nice, but the few unrealistic things make me bit unhappy (perks mainly).

Arma2 is coming next year.
Quote from Aquilifer :I like Arma...bit like why I play LFS and not some arcade driving game. Cod4 looks nice, but the few unrealistic things make me bit unhappy (perks mainly).

Arma2 is coming next year.

Another vote for Arma. Especially Evolution multiplayer coop provides countless hours of fun, action, war, surreal situations, bugs and just plain strange gameplay.
I've got a bit of a love/hate thing going on with Arma at the moment. But as has been said many many times by many many people, it's a game with so much unrealised potential, the bugs, the frame rate issues and general weirdness, not to mention the pathetic official missions kill it for me. (although "The Cause" is a damn fine mission, probably the best one out there)

If BIS haven't been listening to the community and release Arma 2 in the same state as Arma then it'll be one huge pile of donkey poo, albeit a very pretty pile of donkey poo Cool

To be honest i'm waiting for and expecting OFP 2 to make all those who came before it look silly, including COD4.
If you guys like ArmA, you should try Insurgency: modern infantry combat. It's still in beta, so it's a bit buggy, but if you own Half-life 2, it's free. Its one of the most realistic combat games I've ever played, one bullet and BAM, your dead. But sometimes you get lucky.

Here's the web site if anyone is interested.
http://www.insmod.net/

If you have HL2 it's definatley a mod worth looking at. When it comes out of beta, its going to be one of the greatest realism shooters.
Quote from DragonCommando :If you guys like ArmA, you should try Insurgency: modern infantry combat. It's still in beta, so it's a bit buggy, but if you own Half-life 2, it's free. Its one of the most realistic combat games I've ever played, one bullet and BAM, your dead. But sometimes you get lucky.

Here's the web site if anyone is interested.
http://www.insmod.net/

If you have HL2 it's definatley a mod worth looking at. When it comes out of beta, its going to be one of the greatest realism shooters.

Yeeeeah except not. The guns fire lasers as HL2 engine is a piece-of-shit basic code worth of only gorillas throwing bananas so you can forget ballistics, you can kill a man by shooting him in the finger and the netcode is horrible.

Other than that it's fine. Except once again a good adversial multiplayer is ruined by spawning. Are players nowadays such pussies that they can't handle games like Rogue Spear? That game was/is hardcore! When you die, you not only have to wait for the entire round to finish and then reload the whole level. Big grin Oh and it had P2P netcode. Effin' hardcore to the max! Cool
Quote from spankmeyer :Yeeeeah except not. The guns fire lasers as HL2 engine is a piece-of-shit basic code worth of only gorillas throwing bananas so you can forget ballistics, you can kill a man by shooting him in the finger and the netcode is horrible.

Other than that it's fine. Except once again a good adversial multiplayer is ruined by spawning. Are players nowadays such pussies that they can't handle games like Rogue Spear? That game was/is hardcore! When you die, you not only have to wait for the entire round to finish and then reload the whole level. Big grin Oh and it had P2P netcode. Effin' hardcore to the max! Cool

LOL, that was a load of crap.
Basic code? thats a joke.

You can, and people have added balistics, shooting a person in the finger doesn't kill him since it counts as a hand shot. And the hit system in some source mods actualy has individual hit boxes for every bone, includeing fingers.

You seem to not realize, that if you have round based gameplay like that, it encourages people to play like its CS. Thats not the point of insurgency, and they have done a very good job of preventing that.
I've even seen CS tactics in Gears of war on the 360, it's rediculous what people will do, just because of round based game play.

I've played Rogue spear, I agree it's hard core, but it has to be balanced between hardcore realism and fun, thats the only way to get players interested these days.
Crysis ftw Smile

*Not including LFS* >XD
you guys that play cod4 come join my clans server :P

TDM: 195.149.21.225:28931

DOM:195.149.21.225:28934

S&D: 195.149.21.225:28930

COD4 1.3 patch, sorts of the snipers(makes it soo much easier to use)

http://www.gamershell.com/download_22318.shtml
I'd like to try ArmA. I've downloaded the demo and when I try and run it I'm greated with a message saying it failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. I know it's meant to be buggy but I wasn't expecting to hop straight into an error message.

The troubleshooting section of the readme is brilliant as well, consisting about 5 lines mostly suggesting that defragging my hard drive or installing a different OS might help with a generic problem Uh-hu
Quote from ajp71 :I'd like to try ArmA. I've downloaded the demo and when I try and run it I'm greated with a message saying it failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. I know it's meant to be buggy but I wasn't expecting to hop straight into an error message.

The troubleshooting section of the readme is brilliant as well, consisting about 5 lines mostly suggesting that defragging my hard drive or installing a different OS might help with a generic problem Uh-hu

There are/were at least 2 demo versions. The original version had only multiplayer (3 MP games), while the newer has 3 SP, 3 MP games plus a very basic mission builder (which is so basic you can't use it for much). Also the newer version is 1.05 version (or was it 1.06, mmmm Uhmm). That is much less buggy, so I recommend it. Make sure the DX is the latest version... I remember I got some sort of DX error when I patched the old demo. It is also faster.

If there are some folks wanting to try the demo on mp, I can join Nod

About the speed...if you know what kind of work load it has to do on the background it is not a miracle it is bit slower than those rambo shoot em ups. It is bit like LFS in that way.
I'm not really sure if I like ArmA, firstly do you have to fly/drive stuff? I tried the Blackhawk but just found that I ended up flying really retardedly with keyboard/mouse and I couldn't be arsed to work out the joystick setup (or get it out each time I get in a helicopter). Personally I feel a flight sim/fps should remain completely separate, although multiplayer games where you integrate the two would be awesome and so much better than the unrealistic multi-tasking that modern games like. I also didn't like the aiming system, I had to turn off that free mouse movement slider but it still didn't feel responsive to my inputs (a personal thing, nothing to do with mouse sensitivity) like COD4/BF2 does.

Personally what I'd love to find is a game that allows BF2 style online game play, ideally with a bit more depth of story than just a capture the control point with COD4 style graphics and realism levels (with RPGs that actually do some damage and a little bit easier to die than on veteran). Ideally it would stop rambo tactics but wouldn't take the fun and accessibility out of it. I played the whole of COD4 single player on hardened on a friends laptop, a bit short but really fun. I'm not sure how great the MP is in COD4 it seems far too expensive to buy just for the MP and limited single player replay value ( although I am determined to win the plane on veteran Wink).
Quote from ajp71 :I'm not really sure if I like ArmA, firstly do you have to fly/drive stuff? I tried the Blackhawk but just found that I ended up flying really retardedly with keyboard/mouse and I couldn't be arsed to work out the joystick setup (or get it out each time I get in a helicopter). Personally I feel a flight sim/fps should remain completely separate, although multiplayer games where you integrate the two would be awesome and so much better than the unrealistic multi-tasking that modern games like. I also didn't like the aiming system, I had to turn off that free mouse movement slider but it still didn't feel responsive to my inputs (a personal thing, nothing to do with mouse sensitivity) like COD4/BF2 does.

Well, some people like mother and some daughter Shrug

You don't HAVE to fly or drive anything. The map is however so large that you have to get some sort of transport in larger missions. You can walk, but if you do that few times you start to appreciate some sort of vehicle. In multiplayer missions the jobs are divided to many players and if you don't like to drive/fly you can and should leave it to somebody who is more experienced with it (you just sit behind and shoot water buffaloes with the door gun). Those forms of vehicles (transport and support) are really needed in the game and without them it would suck as they are important part of modern warfare.

I like to fly the helos (using mouse/kb). Ok, it is not easy but I guess it ain't so IRL either. The flight and driving physics are not at the level they are in hard core flight or driving sims, but it is good enough for the job. If the game is NOT in hard core mode, you can use the outside 'arcade' view (default is numpad enter), free view (numpad *) to turn it and auto hover which is really helpful to land the thing. After some practise you are able to land it between buildings and on a roof top.

There are lot of mods too. Some of them aim to make it even more realistic.
Quote from ajp71 :Personally what I'd love to find is a game that allows BF2 style online game play, ideally with a bit more depth of story than just a capture the control point with COD4 style graphics and realism levels (with RPGs that actually do some damage and a little bit easier to die than on veteran). Ideally it would stop rambo tactics but wouldn't take the fun and accessibility out of it. I played the whole of COD4 single player on hardened on a friends laptop, a bit short but really fun. I'm not sure how great the MP is in COD4 it seems far too expensive to buy just for the MP and limited single player replay value ( although I am determined to win the plane on veteran Wink).

A few of us around here play Project Reality from time to time, you should check it out Thumbs up.

And I'd love to get into ArmA, having loved and played OFP extensively online, but they decided that you'd need next-gen hardware to actually run it with an average framerate above 16. My 7800 GT wasn't that old when ArmA came out, but it still rendered it useless Shrug.
What kind of online play is avaliable with Project Reality, more than normal BF2? There only seem to be about 8 populated servers left and I don't really feel like a 2gb download I can't use Shrug
Quote from ajp71 :What kind of online play is avaliable with Project Reality, more than normal BF2? There only seem to be about 8 populated servers left and I don't really feel like a 2gb download I can't use Shrug

just downloaded it myself, went on a 64 man server it was ace real team work, but its hard theres alot to learn but i think its worth the time
Quote from andybarsblade :just downloaded it myself, went on a 64 man server it was ace real team work, but its hard theres alot to learn but i think its worth the time

I downloaded the torrent but all the servers were running the wrong version, guess I'll need to get the latest patch.

EDIT - I think I actually need to get BF2 patch 1.41, I'm currently using 1.4 which might also explain why there are only a handful of BF2 servers.
I use to play Operation Flashpoint quite a bit and still am a proud owner of that game. I thought that Arma would be the next step up but I couldn't enjoy that game due to the bugs and poor frame rates on my current pc Frown I hope that ArmA2 will be less buggy and more system friendly. I do like the concept thought, open maps, vehicles and team play if you can get a good team together.

I was just browsing the BIS website and stumbled across this blog
an interview with Kegetys about his modding and life.

mad
Just found out that I have to download another 500mb for the 1.41 patch, no upgrade from 1.4 available. Thank god for broadband Wink

New rush of FPS games
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG