The online racing simulator
Any plans for FFB improvements?
I like the way lfs produces FFB but at times it seems like I should be feeling a little bit more than I do like camber and elevation changes in the road and vibrations. So, what's the good word? If we get some physics tweaks with the new patch, do you think we might have something new to feel via our wheels?
I don't think any of the patch Y up date would affect the FFB in any way, also I don't see how anyone would feel elevation changes via wheel, weather it be in a simulator or a real car. The only feeling that might come from a wheel is any counter force acting on the front wheels to move them toward a certain direction.
I guess South City is now bumpier? watch the FO8 scene in the video at 04:14, I watched the same spot and same car in the current version and it doesn't shake like that. Could be different setup though.

I don't think the FFB system has faults, it's just that the tracks are so damn flat. Same applies to flat spots. Take FO8, put full brake pressure, put FFB to 200%, go to full speed and lock the wheels... the effect is definitely there, normally you just feel nothing.
#4 - Woz
Quote from joeynuggetz :I like the way lfs produces FFB but at times it seems like I should be feeling a little bit more than I do like camber and elevation changes in the road and vibrations. So, what's the good word? If we get some physics tweaks with the new patch, do you think we might have something new to feel via our wheels?

The forces acting on the front wheel are transmitted up the steering column to the wheel. I doubt there is much that would neeed to change in the FFB code. On the whole each big physics change has improved the FFB because a better simulation of the car improves the forces detail on the front wheels
Quote from Woz :The forces acting on the front wheel are transmitted up the steering column to the wheel. I doubt there is much that would neeed to change in the FFB code. On the whole each big physics change has improved the FFB because a better simulation of the car improves the forces detail on the front wheels

I wouldn't say for sure but any improvement in the physics will indirectly improve the FFB due to 'better' data for FFB calculations. This is assuming ofcourse that the FFB code is up to snuff to deal with the changes in the data input =)
Current sims like LFS, RBR and rFactor with RealFeel, have far more advanced force feedback than our wheels can transmit back to us. It would be fairly pointless to improve the software side of the FF considering the lack of fidelity in the wheels. And this comes from someone who uses a G25!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Current sims like LFS, RBR and rFactor with RealFeel, have far more advanced force feedback than our wheels can transmit back to us. It would be fairly pointless to improve the software side of the FF considering the lack of fidelity in the wheels. And this comes from someone who uses a G25!

Forgot about that
I would like the LFS to simulate the engine vibrations via FFB
Quote from breadfan :I would like the LFS to simulate the engine vibrations via FFB

Well that's nothing but a flamebait.
Quote from Blackout :Well that's nothing but a flamebait.

It's a perfectly fine suggestion. So long as those forces are transmitted to your FFB seat of course, and not sent to the steering column to be misrepresented on your wheel.
Quote from Bob Smith :It's a perfectly fine suggestion. So long as those forces are transmitted to your FFB seat of course, and not sent to the steering column to be misrepresented on your wheel.

Thank you. But not everyone has an FFB seat and a on/off option of the vibrating wheel would do it for me. But to contradict myself, I must admit that it's not a simulation, but rather an illusion. However, the Matrix has you and I would like to have the option to live in that illusion from time to time
Quote from Bob Smith :It's a perfectly fine suggestion. So long as those forces are transmitted to your FFB seat of course, and not sent to the steering column to be misrepresented on your wheel.

Ah yes, sure. My tiny brains just connects FFB with with FFB wheels. Wouldn't be buying vibrating seat myself though.
I would also like the feeling of the wind through my hair to be transmitted via FFB. But again, not the wheel FFB, because that would be equally silly.

I see nothing that a pretend engine vibration in your wheel would do, other than make everything feel weird and fake. It won't make you quicker, or give you more immersion.
#14 - JTbo
Why my IRL car steering column vibrates as I rev the engine then?
If there is no force as such, it should not, but as whole car vibrates that includes wheel, then there have to be some forces, liked or not.

Some cars don't do this, that is because those cars are made to girls, real men's cars do have worn engine mounts and rough running engines so you feel engine in your balls
a FFB wheel can correctly only oscillate on it's column axis - round and round as it were. The vibrations from your engine won't be in the plane (at least, if they are they are massively negligable compared to the vibration in the X,Y,Z planes, which a FFB wheel cannot transmit).

I could say that my exhaust rattles a bit in real life, so can I have that rattle in my steering please - both are silly, because both have nothing to do with steering axis.

And besides, I can't feel the engine vibration through my steering wheel unless I REALLY think about it. It's so small that a FFB couldn't vibrate such tiny amounts.
#16 - JTbo
Well can I have vibrating device that vibrates my racing frame then?

Still need to find that frame first
Yes. Ask a female friend really nicely.
#18 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes. Ask a female friend really nicely.

I think direction of this is worrying me a bit

Really I'm waiting new kind of force feedback to be invented, current patented system has been around so long and so little improvement has happened during time that we really need something new already.
Quote from JTbo :I think direction of this is worrying me a bit

Really I'm waiting new kind of force feedback to be invented, current patented system has been around so long and so little improvement has happened during time that we really need something new already.

New Frex FFB wheel?
Quote from tristancliffe :I would also like the feeling of the wing through my hair to be transmitted via FFB.

I'd love this option as well, for any crashers out there on the server. They crash, and through force feedback, the get the feeling of the front wing ripping off and smacking them in the forhead
do NOT buy a vibrating FFB seat - or else your girlfriend will never seave that seat. Unless you like to live with the constant backgroundnoise of an engine revving and your girlfriend having a lot of fun in a stationary car....
FFB wheels don't vibrate anyway. The forces only turn the wheel right or left.
in my opinion the ffb is good.
Quote from geeman1 :FFB wheels don't vibrate anyway. The forces only turn the wheel right or left.

They have some "out of this world vibrations" in ISI games
I think the FFB is fine the way it is (i have a DFP). Some say that they don't feel the curbs and stuff (Rattersteine, don't know english word), but I do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG