The online racing simulator
chase view improvement
(25 posts, started )
#1 - col
chase view improvement
After reading some discussion about chase view in one of the threads about the new BMW, I had a brainwave !

IMO chase view is a fantasy feature - completely unrealistic. However, some people like to use it.
(And why shouldn't they? after all, IMO it is a disadvantage over cockpit or wheels view.)

So, why not make it more 'realistic' !

Everyone using chase view should have their driver 'avatar' floating in the air above the car in the 'correct' position for their view. (with a big H on the forehead like Rimmer from Red Dwarf !)

The discrepancy in weight of the car could be 'offset' by the star trek style particle projector in said car being roughly the same weight as a human.

Of course, this isn't serious suggestion - it wouldn't make sense to waste dev time on it, but it would add a little credibility to chase view... ok, so its sci-fi, but it would at least turn chase into a coherent part of the game world...

Col
Quote from col :After reading some discussion about chase view in one of the threads about the new BMW, I had a brainwave !

IMO chase view is a fantasy feature - completely unrealistic. However, some people like to use it.
(And why shouldn't they? after all, IMO it is a disadvantage over cockpit or wheels view.)

So, why not make it more 'realistic' !

Everyone using chase view should have their driver 'avatar' floating in the air above the car in the 'correct' position for their view. (with a big H on the forehead like Rimmer from Red Dwarf !)

The discrepancy in weight of the car could be 'offset' by the star trek style particle projector in said car being roughly the same weight as a human.

Of course, this isn't serious suggestion - it wouldn't make sense to waste dev time on it, but it would add a little credibility to chase view... ok, so its sci-fi, but it would at least turn chase into a coherent part of the game world...

Col

Post of the year!

Although, in serious, there is no advantage to chase view whatsoever, it doesn't need knobbling.
Sorry col, I cannot agree with your suggestion.

However, I have a better one: how about we restrict the chase view to only work in single player or when spectating in multiplayer. That way we keep the convenient way of analysing force distribution, while at the same time pissing off any chase view users for no real reason. I think that would be most excellent

*braces for impact*
Ha-ha
Funnyboy now eh??

Let the chase veiw be as it is now, it needs no improvments, it works perfectly o.k enough for me ;D
#5 - Bean0
Great post, you deserve some stars
lol good idea!
which chase view are u talking about? the one from shift+u or the one in the normal camera modes when u press "V" ?
i'd like see someone actually race with shift-u..
The normal one
Damn you, DAMN YOU ALL!!

Better don`t hope that this end it a flamewar, but rather stick with this easy mood.

Or will it end up in BANANA DEATH HELL?!

:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea:bananadea and :bananadea
Quote from Not Sure :i'd like see someone actually race with shift-u..

Why? Shift U is really configurable and can follow your car.
Quote from Bob Smith :Why? Shift U is really configurable and can follow your car.

But it doesn't turn with the car? How can you drive when you can't see where you're going. Show .avi or didn't happen!
He probally meant that you can make customs veiw out from that mode, but racing in shift+U mode would be rather hard
Looks cool tho!
Quote from deggis :But it doesn't turn with the car? How can you drive when you can't see where you're going. Show .avi or didn't happen!

Drag strip? Oval?
Chase view, other than with watching replays, should be forced to be tied into using a simulator like the Force Dynamics 301. But the forces and motion with the sim seat will be derived from the forces of sitting in a seat attached to the top of the car by a 30 foot piece of PCV pipe. That will bring the ultimate realism into it. As the car corners, and the simulated PCV seat post sways back and forth, the FD301 will recreate these motions.
Quote from col :

Don't flip the car.
but won't the hologram projection confuse the giant squid / octopus / dragon / whatever ?
Wonder what the animal right activists have to say about confusing the bear /"giant squid / octopus / dragon / whatever ?"
Fast approaching patch schizophrenia syndrom seems to be in epidemic proportions at the moment
Quote from March Hare :Wonder what the animal right activists have to say about confusing the bear /"giant squid / octopus / dragon / whatever ?"

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

?
#20 - Gunn
Quote from Bean0 :People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

?

C'mon now, bears are totally overrated in the taste department.
I dunno. Pandas are supposed to be quite tasty. Being endangered though, you have to quick and sneaky with the harpoon to get one without being caught yourself (by the authorities, not by a panda hunter!)
Quote from Gunn :C'mon now, bears are totally overrated in the taste department.

Was just talking about this on Sunday. If you live where I am, this time of year, everyone you see asks if you got your deer or if you went bear hunting. Of course, then I'm immediately frowned upon when I state that I don't hunt....

I guess bear, or the black bear around here, is quite good. It's just that the meat is a bit stringy.
Seriously this is a good suggestion

...But the first one to mention uniconrnrnrs gets a christmasbullet in the head...
edit: or pies, that would be two bullets.
Quote from frokki :uniconrnrnrs

Unicorners ? you mean tracks with just one corner, like KY Oval ?

Seriously though, the op'er wants a little bloke floating in mid air behind his car, not exactly what you'd call realistic is it (but i guess chase view isn't either unless you drop some acid before driving to work every morning). And what about the guys following him, won't it be a bit of a distraction, and wouldn't you have to drive through this little blokes arse when you want to pass ?

Big -1 from me, + remove chase view as well. But keep the Unicorns
You wouldn't drive through the little bloke. He is much too high. High as in elevation not drugs. Unless ofcourse we get racing trucks. And that's trucks as in lorries and not pick-ups.

chase view improvement
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG