The online racing simulator
#1 - J.B.
Want F1 Cars that don't look like ****? Bring on the Slicks!
Tested for the first time today in Jerez.

Don't they look fine? I didn't even expect the visual difference to be this marked. Grooved tyres really were one of the most stupid F1 ideas ever. But the fact that they were driven for so long even when nobody liked them just makes you wonder what on earth is wrong with the whole governing body of F1.

The idea with the slicks is that they come on in 2009 to increase the tyre grip while at the same time downforce is to be reduced. The net effect being that the ratio of aero vs tyre grip decreases which should be a good thing for racing. Personally I don't think it will be enough if they don't add GP2 style Venturi tunnels (seeing how well GP2 works again makes you wonder WTH they are waiting for) but at least it's going in the right direction.
I heard that BMW and Honda were evaluating slicks today and hoped to see pictures but I hadn't until now - thanks!

And yes, that car looks like it eats orphans. Awesomeness.

Link to full-size picture for people with monitors bigger than 100x150px.

And a BMW
I would've thought that with no TC in 2008, we'd have slicks by then. But I guess not? At least, if they have less rear grip with grooved slicks this coming season, that should be interesting to watch

But I am way more in favor of full slicks on F1 cars. Should be interesting when we get to that point.
#4 - J.B.
Quote from J.B. :You could have just clicked on the thumbnail.

Which does nothing. Is there some brower plug-in that turns images into links these days that I'm not aware of?
It's definitely a link.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It's definitely a link.

In what browser?

Here's what I get... A text link in the forum, which leads to a small jpeg. Where can you go from there? It's a jpeg - there is no hyperlink because it's not a web page, just a jpeg. It's not clickable and even if it was, how would my browser know what address to request?

So how does this work for other people who have magical browsers?
#8 - pik_d
Quote from thisnameistaken :In what browser?

Here's what I get... A text link in the forum, which leads to a small jpeg. Where can you go from there? It's a jpeg - there is no hyperlink because it's not a web page, just a jpeg. It's not clickable and even if it was, how would my browser know what address to request?

So how does this work for other people who have magical browsers?

User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options -> Check the "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" box. It's definitely a clickable thumbnail in IE7 and Firefox with this checked.
I see. I'll leave images off, thanks.
The best part is the slicks will be coming in so that they can reduce the aero on the cars. No more little chimneys and wings on the top of the car, so in 2009 the cars should look pretty farking cool.
Gotta say, that Honda looks the shizzle
Hmmm - I must say that seeing it with slicks doesn't really change the aesthetic value of the current F1 designs for me. They're still nice and curvy and sorta interesting but not beasty or agressive-looking enough IMO. Interesting to see Honda's left the hippie phase, maybe they'll go with the times and opt for an emo look now.
The FIA are still considering the use of Slicks in 2008
#14 - aoun
The cars looks soo much better with slicks!!!!!!!!

Quote from Thorvertonian :The FIA are still considering the use of Slicks in 2008

Errrr....got a news source for that? Even from the baboons who run the house, that would be something extremely stupid to consider this point. Not that I wouldn't like to see it though.
That's from 2005... hardly 'still considering them'.

Current 2008 F1 Regs:

Quote :ARTICLE 12 : WHEELS AND TYRES
12.1 Location :
Wheels must be external to the bodywork in plan view, with the rear aerodynamic device removed.
12.2 Number of wheels :
The number of wheels is fixed at four.
12.3 Wheel material :
All wheels must be made from an homogeneous metallic material.
12.4 Wheel dimensions :
12.4.1 Complete wheel width must lie between 345mm and 365mm 305 and 355mm when fitted to the front of the
car and between 440mm to 460mm 365 and 380mm when fitted to the rear.
12.4.2 Complete wheel diameter must not exceed 640mm when fitted to the front of the car and 710mm when
fitted to the rear 660mm when fitted with dry-weather tyres or 670mm when fitted with wet-weather tyres.
12.4.3 Complete wheel width and diameter will be measured horizontally at axle height, with the wheel held in a
vertical position and when fitted with new tyres inflated to 1.4 bar.
12.4.4 Wheel bead diameter must lie between 354mm and 358mm 328 and 332mm.
12.5 Tyre pressures
Any change to, or modulation of, the tyre pressures whilst the car is moving must be made at a rate not
exceeding 0.15bar per minute, may not be pre-set and must be made by the driver and be under his
complete control at all times.
12.5 Supply of tyres
12.5.1 All tyres must be used as supplied by the manufacturer, any modification or treatment such as cutting,
grooving, the application of solvents or softeners, the fitting of heat retaining devices or pre-heating is
prohibited. This applies to dry, wet and extreme-weather tyres.
12.5.2 If, in the opinion of the appointed tyre supplier and FIA technical delegate, the nominated tyre specification
proves to be technically unsuitable, the stewards may authorise the use of additional tyres to a different
specification.
12.5.3 If, in the interests of maintaining current levels of circuit safety, the FIA deems it necessary to reduce tyre
grip, it shall introduce such rules as the tyre supplier may advise or, in the absence of advice which
achieves the FIA's objectives, specify the maximum permissible contact areas for front and rear tyres.
12.6 Specification of tyres :
12.6.1 All dry-weather tyres must incorporate circumferential grooves square to the wheel axis and around the
entire circumference of the contact surface of each tyre.
12.6.2 Each front dry-weather tyre, when new, must incorporate 4 grooves which are :
- arranged symmetrically about the centre of the tyre tread ;
- at least 14mm wide at the contact surface and which taper uniformly to a minimum of 10mm at the
lower surface ;
- at least 2.5mm deep across the whole lower surface ;
- 50mm (+/- 1.0mm) between centres.
Furthermore, the tread width of the front tyres must not exceed 270mm.

All the news sites state the current testing if firmly for 2008 season.... Maybe I just mis-reading and then saw the slightly older information, but it all added upto to them considering it.
All the news sites I read say they are testing for 2009. Maybe you need to change news sites - F1 Live and Autosport are held in high regard (most of the time).
It's F1 Live I'm using mainly - I've just worked it all out though!

I've got a customised version of firefox that's all to cock, it was mis placing tables, so pictures weren't appearing in line with stories, the 2008 testing was with the slick tyers picture... etc

Oh well, better get the real firefox back!
All the news sites I've read also tell that they're testing for 2009. Some drivers (James Rossiter) even tell that the balance between front and rear tyres ain't to good at this moment. Well they still have a year test tyres and even this first versions are already +/- 2 seconds a lap faster.
#22 - robt
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The best part is the slicks will be coming in so that they can reduce the aero on the cars. No more little chimneys and wings on the top of the car, so in 2009 the cars should look pretty farking cool.

Chimneys will stil be there for cooling im sure. and the wings will too, just not so large and drastic (theyve had a wing/body flick on sidepods on F1 cars since the 80's)
The BMW looks ok, but the Honda looks like crap with slicks. It might not be the slicks though, probably just fugly looking body.
Quote from robt :Chimneys will stil be there for cooling im sure. and the wings will too, just not so large and drastic (theyve had a wing/body flick on sidepods on F1 cars since the 80's)

Yes I think they mean the stick on parts and large chimneys we currently have, no doubt the bodywork will be more sculpted to bend the rules, but I think that will look so much better than the current setup.
The technical directors agreed to proposals which are as follows:

- Front wing width increased to 180 instead of 140 cm.
- Front wing height decreased to 7.5 instead of 15 cm.
- The middle section over a width of 40 cm has to be a standard part.
- The driver may adjust the front wing flaps from the cockpit twice a lap by an angle of a maximum 6 degrees.
- Rear wing width 75 instead of 100 cm
- Rear wing height 95 instead of 80 cm.

The diffusor then starts from the centre of the rear axle rather than from the front end of the rear wheels. It may raise to 17.5 instead of 12.5 cm. The bodywork has to be clean. That means no barge boards, no winglets, no chimneys, no flipups.

http://f1.automoto365.com/news ... ewsForm&news_id=28599

Don't know is that page 100% reliable...

But you gotta think why did it took so many years to get sense to this shit.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG