The online racing simulator
Vista activation problem
(10 posts, started )
Vista activation problem
When I installed my copy of Vista Home Premium on my PC, it was running XP, and was connected to the internet. I typed in the activation code, and it went through without a problem. When I tried the same thing on my laptop a few months before, I got the key wrong a couple of times, but when I got it right, it went through without any problems. Now, on my desktop PC, when I go into the Control Panel, I see that Windows reports that it is NOT activated, and when I try to activate it, it tells me that the product key is already in use. I did go back to XP on my laptop after a driver failure, what could be wrong?
You should have the option to activate over the phone - doing so is straight forward and should resolve your problem. If you end up talking to someone instead of the automated system they might ask a few questions, but nothing too probing usually.
Thanks man, I called in and had it activated. One more thing, Windows reports that there is 223 GB free out of 298 when im only using around 23 GB of space?
Well, you got it activated, but there is another way to do that. I had that same problem with my XP with it being in use on our laptop, I just turned off the laptop and tried to then activate and it worked. So just turn off all the computers using that same copy and you will be fine.
bumpage

ive changed my mobo and had to format and reinstall vista, but when i try to activate it says product key is already in use? anything i can try?
Call Microsoft, it's what worked for me.
you mean automated telephone activation?
That would work, but a live representative is more preferrable.
Quote from MINIz guy :Well, you got it activated, but there is another way to do that. I had that same problem with my XP with it being in use on our laptop, I just turned off the laptop and tried to then activate and it worked. So just turn off all the computers using that same copy and you will be fine.

But surely, using the SAME copy on more than one PC is in breach of teh EULA, and therefore NAUGHTY!!! Mr Gate$ wont love you if you take a bit of his $10 zillion per day profit!!

Besides..would it work activating the same copy on THREE puters simultaneously? (XP and/or Vista)
#10 - wien
Quote from h3adbang3r :Call Microsoft, it's what worked for me.

Yep. Changing (certain parts of) your hardware changes the computer's hash value that is used when activating. To activate an OEM copy on the new hardware you have to prove to Microsoft that you haven't moved the copy over to a different computer. I'm not sure how the retail versions work on these cases. They may allow reactivation automatically.

All part of the wonderful DRM experience.

Vista activation problem
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG