The online racing simulator
Any World of Warcraft players?
(30 posts, started )
Anyone here play WoW?

I got into it in mid Sept, when a friend of mine in Nanaimo introduced me to it. I mostly bought it just to hang out with him and whatnot, but now I really enjoy it (read: got sucked into it).

I've never tried an MMO before and didn't think I would really like it that much but it's actually a lot of fun, and somewhat complex - at least at first. There is a LOT to learn if you've never tried a game like it before.

Heh, I've heard of people's lives being ruined and whatnot by Everquest, and World of Warcraft... I don't see it I'm afraid. Yes it's fun, but you would have to be seriously lacking in self control or have a few problems upstairs to make it your entire life. Of course, when 9 million people play something you're bound to run into people that can't manage their life very well and then a game gets the blame, which is silly.
my brother plays, personally i hate those type of games
LOL, I like this whole "I am not addicted" approach BBT, nice :up:

Once you get sucked in by WoW, you are a sucker for WoW. Never touched it, never will, and I feel sorry for anyone that has even played it only once :doh:
Quote from Tweaker :Never touched it, never will, and I feel sorry for anyone that has even played it only once :doh:

I feel exactly the same way. Personally, I think that WoW and LFS are polar opposites, one deals with fairies and monsters (a make-believe world) while the other attempts to mimic reality. So I don't think there's a lot of people around here who play WoW.
Heh, so which is more deluded - pretending to be real or going unreal with reckless abandon?

In the end, they're both just games... digital entertainment, but with a different focus.

And they're both very fun IMHO
I played it for about 6 month, but then I realised I had a problem, used too much time on it. On those 6 months I got over 1 month in-game, so I quited it
Played the trial a couple of times and did enjoy it, not enough to warrant £9 a month though.
yep great game, but left it after year of playing. waiting for new expansion then i am gonna go back
A mate of mine keeps nagging me and nagging me to get it. I would say its fun, no doubt but there are MMO driving games which interest me more than killing a bunch of ogres.

You should check out Project Torque and DriftCity
Played for 1,5 years of which last 6 month at top level raiding. Then expansion came out and I didn't like it, so my account has been inactive since. I doubt I will get back to WoW since I've already beat my own personal goals and even went way beyond that with endgame 40-man content.

I suppose you could compare it to situation where you've raced a while for some really good LFS team and suddenly you'd have to go back to public racing...

Don't get me wrong, WoW is still a good game but I just had my fun already.
#11 - Ziil
I did play WoW for a week or so but I'm not into fantasy so I quit But I have been playing Anarchy Online for almost 3 years
Quote from Ziil :I did play WoW for a week or so but I'm not into fantasy so I quit But I have been playing Anarchy Online for almost 3 years

Too bad there's only so much ToT and quest blitzing (run fixer, run) you can take :P
But crafting in AO is much more interesting and complicated than what I've seen in any other MMORPG.
heh, couple of my friends play WoW and they have been bothering me to get it and play with them. I didn't even know WoW was (this was few months ago ) They told me that it is a great game and that I will love it. But I know myself and what I like and don't like, but nevertheless on one rainy boring dark autumn Sunday evening I decided to grab the demo. I wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

So after few hours of downloading the bloody thing I managed to actually play it, created my character in some weird world my friends were in, I became the wizard of the forest or something like that, tall lanky dude with a beard.

Ok so now i was in, my initial thoughts were this is a bit ermm cartoony (for my liking) but looked good enough not to make me quit straight away. After about an hour trying to find my way around i got bored, yes bored! the WoW sucking effect didn't work on me, must be immune so after about an hour and a bit of playing time i quit it and it vanished from my hdd never to be installed their again!! I just don't see what is so great about it. Yes bunch of friends and people going on quests together but camon!

maybe if i played a bit more I would have liked it a bit but it just didn't grab my attention and i did give it a chance.

mad
Played it got to 42 made a twink quit started again for two months...43 quit from boredom again...never touched it again but i still keep patches up to date incase i want to
Yep, I play it. Not on the oceanic servers though. Shame, would have been nice to camp you a bit BBT But I refuse to get into hc raiding and epix hunting because of all the grinding, so I PvP 'casually' (a lot, but I don't really care of the outcomes as long as it's fun).

Horde or Ally, btw BBT?

Quote from Madman_CZ :
I became the wizard of the forest or something like that, tall lanky dude with a beard.

That approach to WoW only works if you know you enjoy real RP, i.e., creating a bg story, character traits etc. Personally I'd say if it's RP you want WoW is not for you. Go LOTRO instead or stick to older stuff.

To get the most out of WoW if you aren't familiar or very interested in the lore is to first decide which class suits you. Do you prefer ranged attacks or melee, healing/tanking or damage, and then pick one. I made the wrong choice (hunter), but even though I'm doing the same content again (with my rogue) I'm enjoying it much more. The next step is to level you character to the level cap. Do NOT worry about min-maxing, specific talent builds, powerlevelling and such when leveling your first charater. It will ruin it. Level at your own pace, and what you could do is create an alt and level that to say 29 so you can PvP a bit when you get bored of questing / wiping.

That's if you (or anyone else) ever give it another go.
I play it very much like every other game, meaning occasionally, and not obsessively, and it also doesn't affect my life. I would have stopped to play for the 13 Euros per month, but as I live quite far away from my family at the moment, and both my brothers and my best friends from home play it, It's just a way to hang out together.
I've played it on and off since closed beta, currently PvPing quite actively as a casual/friend in a hardcore PvE guild (Illidan on farm, yiddeyadde) I've only been playing again for about 2 months though...

I've been through a lot in the game anyway; quit the game many times, and sold an old account once, but since I'm playing with cool "oldskool" people again I'm enjoying myself quite a bit right now

For European players:

I'm on Twilight Hammer (PvP) - Alliance side - Jertje
Quote from spankmeyer :

A friend of mine got really addicted to WOW for almost a year, he just paused for some eating and sleeping, untill his PC broke. He never played again after that.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :That approach to WoW only works if you know you enjoy real RP, i.e., creating a bg story, character traits etc. Personally I'd say if it's RP you want WoW is not for you. Go LOTRO instead or stick to older stuff.

Well I admit when looking at my game collection there are hardly any RP games there. I do own Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind which is a game i have spent ages playing. I even had X2 The Threat which i spend hour and hours playing. So I am open minded and play any genre but there are preferences.

When I was trying WoW i played it with an open mind, I created my character according to who I want to represent. The forest wizard was the best choice for me. The only problem I had was that it takes so long to get it going. The amount of walking and talking to people started to irritate me. I totally respect what the game is about and what it has achieved. Having 9m people play it is quite something but in my eyes it just didn't do anything to make me want to carry on playing. I was mainly put off by the cartoony look of it which disagreed with me from the start. I know an hour is not probably enough to get into WoW but I didn't want to waste any more time on it.

LOTR however looks a lot better with more realism , I have yet to try it though.
Quote from Madman_CZ :I was mainly put off by the cartoony look of it which disagreed with me from the start.

If you want to have another go at an MMORPG, take a look at Age of Conan. It's 'M' rated, gritty & realistic landscapes, NPCs urinating off of bridges and much, much more. Still in closed beta, due to be released in March 08.

Make sure you check out any videos you find

Official site:
http://www.ageofconan.com/

Forums:
http://forums.ageofconan.com/
Quote from NotAnIllusion :NPCs urinating off of bridges

Haha, like how you squeezed that into your short description of the game.

Just watched a few videos, and my first impression is WOW HOLSY SHITE. That appeals to me much much more.....will keep an eye out for that one. Might find its way into my b-day pressies in march

cool stuff
Jeff, I'm sorry, but I can't talk to you until you cure your WoW addiction.

I got into it a couple of years ago and played it toooo much. I stopped after a few months cos I realised I was spending too much time on it. I really enjoyed adventuring different areas and going into towns etc, lots of fun. But for leveling up, I started to realise that it's so repetitive. Woohoo, now I'm catching a different type of animal or collecting a different type of thing from a different place.
#25 - Dmt
"KILL WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND FREE ITS SLAVES!"

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG