The online racing simulator
Well now the topic is the topic, just the context of the topic has changed... Seems like Al is trying to apply a "topical solution" to our debate....
Sorry, what was the question?
If a BOV goes off and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound ?
How many blow offs can a blow off valve blow if a blow off valve could blow valves?
Quote from tristancliffe :A blow-off valve is the silliest noise that a car can do. Why waste all that compressed air by making a pointless and power reducing noise? Why not get a silent recirculating dump valve, make less noise (and therefore look less like a complete idiot who likes 'phat carz') and actually go faster too.

This does not apply so much on a race circuit where you want to keep the turbo spinning as fast as possible, are using high engine revs and WOT most of the time, so boost build up is very rapid. Much like WRC cars. Which is why they make that silly noise, and makes the cars sound like malfunctioning toys.

umm actually thats why rally cars have Misfire Anti-lag System

Since you obviously dont know it basically is inducing engine misfire under deacceleration, which is why boost pressure is maintained resultlting in quicker acceleration which is why most if not all rally cars use this, (well last time i checked they did)
Quote from tristancliffe :Well, if your car is meant to be used at WOT lots, then the turbo will be lighter, and freer flowing etc etc. You know the driver will be going from full throttle to no throttle to full throttle.

On a road car, the periods of full throttle are small. So when the driver gets some boost, then lifts, it's unlikely he'll be going back to full throttle. Therefore you use a recirculating dump valve - this means that what little engery you've managed to build up isn't just chucked out of the car needlessly.

The restrictiveness is probably the wrong word. A WRC engine is restricted via a plate somewhere (I forget exactly where, but that's not important for this discussion) in the induction system. So the turbo is designed very differently to a non-restricted engine, simple because the maximum air flow of the system is very different. A larger engine like a Big V8, will have much less breathing problems that a small WRC engine, and that needs to be taken into account of (on top of trying to match the turbo to the power you want, where you want it, what type of driving it'll do etc etc).

Turbo's and their related components are huge sciences. Anyone who looks in a catalogue for Supra Turbo kit, and expects it to work with the rest of his system from a different catalogue, or not exact spec, is deluded to some degree. But being deluded is a necessity for ricing.

Well, thats a different matter. If they used it primarily on the road with a silly body kit then it's rice. If that rice-mobile goes on a track for a track day, then it's still rice. All because of the PRIMARY reason of the car.

LOL you are hilarious, you really know nothing more than the common ricer about turbos, LOL
Quote from JessesAE86 :umm actually thats why rally cars have Misfire Anti-lag System

Since you obviously dont know it basically is inducing engine misfire under deacceleration, which is why boost pressure is maintained resultlting in quicker acceleration which is why most if not all rally cars use this, (well last time i checked they did)

The anti-lag system is separate from the blow off valve - extra fuel is ignited in the exhaust manifold to keep the turbo spinning. But prior to anti-lag being in WRC, you might have noticed the turbo cars going ppssssssshhhhhhtt.

So they used to use atmospheric blow off valves
Now they use atmospheric blow off valves and an anti-lag system.
ZZZZZZZZzzzzz.......
Please wake me when you have finished playing Boring-Car-Fact-Trivia Top Trumps with eachother.
Quote from tristancliffe :'listen to all this energy that I've just got rid of, so that my car goes a bit slower, cos I am a ricer and can't drive'.

illepall

Not true, i know loads of people with sapphire cosworths (rwd) who could put a lot of track drivers to shame with there skill behind the wheel, just because some one is a ricer doesn't mean they can't drive.
Quote from DejaVu :illepall

Not true, i know loads of people with sapphire cosworths (rwd) who could put a lot of track drivers to shame with there skill behind the wheel, just because some one is a ricer doesn't mean they can't drive.

Hugely major exception, rather than the rule.
#86 - JTbo
What will be valve that has both, athmospeheric and recirculation functions

Those do exists as last week I saw them on sale, it is quite clever thing actually, during normal driving you get that quiet action and on track all that pssshhhshs and boo you need

Sorry, I better go back to packing my stuff and moving to new apartment
Quote from JTbo :What will be valve that has both, athmospeheric and recirculation functions

Best of both worlds I guess. I have no experience with combined dump valves, so it's merely conjecture.
Quote from JTbo :What will be valve that has both, athmospeheric and recirculation functions

Those do exists as last week I saw them on sale, it is quite clever thing actually, during normal driving you get that quiet action and on track all that pssshhhshs and boo you need

Sorry, I better go back to packing my stuff and moving to new apartment

It must be brown rice... better for you but still rice?

Sounds like a good idea though
BMW sells a pre-riced car...its called the M6. Its got power, if you pull over, twist a few knobs and press a few buttons, but is crap at the track.
Quote from tristancliffe :Erm, there is no FIXED definition of rice. The parameters are flexible depending on what other paramaters there are.

If a car has a silly body kit on it, regardless of if it's useful, and is used on the road = Rice
If the car has a silly body kit on it that probably wouldn't achieve anything, and is used on the track = Rice
If the car has far too much power compared to it's grip = Rice
If the car has far too much grip for it's power = Rice.
I could go on for hours. It's the thing considered as a whole for me, and my Rice 'limits' are probably a lot lower than most people (i.e. I think something is 100% rice that most people think is sound engineering or proper race technology).

So ur saying that robbie bolger from OZ who drifts the CAPA Drift ute drives rice cus of its excessive over powered engine ( cranks way over 1200RWHP )that just turns the rear tyres into a pile of dust and smoke by the end of a lap.
U try calling his Ozzie drift ute rice and i dont think you would be typing for a while buddy, oh btw i agree with sum of the above terms except for 1.
http://www.capadrift.com.au
thats a link if u wanna put ur comments away for a while
Drift = Rice. It's all about showing off. Sure there is a bit of skill in drifting, but at the end of the day it's all about visual thrills, and is therefore rice.
Quote from tristancliffe :If the car has far too much power compared to it's grip = Rice

Not if it's a pre-1968 F1 car

But you're talking about street cars, so I'll just put my 2c back in my pocket
Although here's another criterion for your list: any car driven by a P-plater with a FOR SALE sticker and mobile phone number on it and which has been so pimped that it's resale value is in the trash, it's rice
Quote from tristancliffe :Drift = Rice. It's all about showing off. Sure there is a bit of skill in drifting, but at the end of the day it's all about visual thrills, and is therefore rice.

So ur calling a 6.0L LS-1 Cast Block V8 a rice blower. LOL u should leave ur computer once and a while and smell the burning rubber and high octane fuel once and a while.
Aussie muscle dusnt take the branding of as u guys call " RICE".

LOL You can tell that sum people know nuthn about Aussie cars.
Quote from Hankstar :Not if it's a pre-1968 F1 car

But you're talking about street cars, so I'll just put my 2c back in my pocket
Although here's another criterion for your list: any car driven by a P-plater with a FOR SALE sticker and mobile phone number on it and which has been so pimped that it's resale value is in the trash, it's rice

LOL hahaha its not rice buddy its not even capable of blowing little grains out the exhuast after an aussie P plater has done with it LOL.
Therefore its ready for the scraping yards or maybe strip it at pick and pay-less cuts.
Quote from VTcommodore :So ur calling a 6.0L LS-1 Cast Block V8 a rice blower. LOL u should leave ur computer once and a while and smell the burning rubber and high octane fuel once and a while.
Aussie muscle dusnt take the branding of as u guys call " RICE".

LOL You can tell that sum people know nuthn about Aussie cars.

Yes, a 6 litre V8 could be rice. I don't know that car/engine specifically, but chances are, if they speak like you, it is rice. Do you know what Octane means?

Yeah I admit I know nothing about Aussie cars, but to be honest who would want to outside of Australia? They're nearly as bad as American cars.
And Also to answer the other question, yes i do know what it is. Octane in the term of fuel for racing fuels ( being high octane ) Just describes how quick the fuel burns.
The higher the rating, the slower and more controlled the fuel burns.In OZ we just got shell 100 Octane yay. This allows its use in high compression engines. So see Im not an idiot buddy.
Wrong. Try again.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from tristancliffe :Wrong. Try again.

Well comon MR forum post up im getting tired tell me before i go to sleep
Thisnameistaken was close.

The octane rating of a fuel is it's resistance to knocking. Most octane numbers are RON (Research Octane Number, a low to medium load test), but some countries (mainly the states) use MON (Motor Octane Number, a high-load test). It's basically a comparison to a control fuel (isooctane I think). Race fuels can have a RON of greater than 100 simple because isooctane isn't the most knock resistant fuel. In turn, knocking is the situation where the pressure ride during compustion is exceptionally high (high enough to damage components), it's not the same things as pre-ignition, although knock can induce preignition, and vice versa. Both are bad for engines, but combined you'd wreck an engine in minutes. Just having the RON number or the MON number doesn't tell the whole story though: RON - MON = Sensitivity, which represents the fuels ability to cope with multiple scenarios.

Tetra-Ethyl Lead is an octane booster, but since leaded fuel is widely out of use, alternatives have to be used.

What you thought was Octane VTcommodore, was the measure of volatility of fuel, and has nothing to do with octane.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I love these BOV posts, they all seem to go the same way.........

Blow off / bypass sound like this
(151 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG