The online racing simulator
Intelligent Artificial Intelligence
(17 posts, started )
Hi everyone ! I actually have some internet problems that won't be fixed for a while so I was wondering, whats is according to you the racing game with the best AI you know ? I'd like to be able to have pleasure by myself, you know like, I don't know,watching a concert on a dvd, or something like that...Well, thank you
I've heard that GP4 has great AI. I don't know which game's AI I like the most though.
Quote from mrrrco :Hi everyone ! I actually have some problems. I'd like to be able to pleasure myself, you know like, I don't know,watching a dvd, or something like that...Well, thank you

Sorry I just couldn't help it. But I agree that Rfactor has great AI.
#4 - JTbo
Yeah, it is so great how they rear end you every freaking corner and still run _very_ slow at mid corner.

Also they make silly moves on quite many of tracks, but that is mostly track makers fault.

AI in rF is following path that track maker creates, then in car files it is set how it behaves in corners etc. Also in car files you set AI driver grip level etc.

It is quite little that it really does, but good illusion it creates anyway if all is set properly
Even in its uncompleted form, I'd say LFS has the best AI for a racing game. Now, you may say, "WTF?! They're too slow and they don't know how to pit or deal with changes in grip!" However, the reality is, the AI actually drives the same car as you in LFS, with the same physics. Other games cheat in that, as JTbo mentioned, the AI behaves how the track and car makers intend it to, rather than how it should. In essence, they fudge it, taking the easy way out (as is the case with many other things other racing games do but we won't get into that...)

Of course then you get into the semantics of what "best" means. Technically the best? LFS. Provides the best experience? Not LFS (for now anyway).
I don't have much experience with newer titles. I moved from NR2003 straight to LFS when I found it in the beginning of 2005. But I'd have to say, along with work from some of the community, that NASCAR Racing 2003 Season has the best AI.

LFS was my first online experience, so I played NR2003 for quite some time, offline with the AI. At superspeedway.net is where you would find the tweaks for NR2003, and the tweaks are amazing over the stock AI. I use to have fantastic races in NR2003 with the in-game setting at 110% and the tweaks available at superspeedway.net.

The tweaks from superspeedway.net are in the hundreds of MB size. That tells you something about it right there. It's massive. All about the track racing line updates and AI tweaks. I use to have a video of the tweak from 2005 of an AI race at Daytona that was all 43 cars running in a single pack inches from each other. It was extremely close to what it is like in real Daytona NASCAR racing.
GP4 AI are rubbish - they'll just drive into accidents, or sit and wait when a car is parked across the track.

rFactor AI are rubbish for the reasons posted above.

LFS AI is superb (in the way Forbin means), but awful in there awareness of human players and the S2 goodies. Once they have adaption for tyre temp and dirt etc, and ability to pit, and the sense to avoid/move around human cars, then they'll quite easily be the best AI yet.

However, in a lot of ways the rFactor computer controlled cars are the most convincing drivers at the moment, but it's not through AI but through pre-scripted lines, and a lot of fudging. Big difference.
Well thank you everyone...By reading your answers I was thinking that I didn't asked the right question : In fact I'm looking for a good racing game to be played SOLO, you know with good championship modes, carreer, etc...I don't think that the problem is that the opponents are a good AI system, or well scripted, sorry my english sucks I'm not sure I'm clear now..
Btw I was wonering If Race 07 was great ? I'm not sure it is pure simulation
On my PS2, Nascar: Dirt to Daytona has some outstanding AI. They work really well and know to draft. They are very competitive too. The only problem is they suck at road courses.
#10 - w126
Quote from Forbin :However, the reality is, the AI actually drives the same car as you in LFS, with the same physics. Other games cheat in that, as JTbo mentioned, the AI behaves how the track and car makers intend it to, rather than how it should.

Forza Motorsport 2 is similar to LFS in its approach to AI, at least that's what the creators say. http://forzamotorsport.net/new ... ssreports/pitpass36-2.htm
Quote from Rappa Z :The only problem is they suck at road courses.

so what you meant to say was that the ai is realistic ?
TOCA 2 has nice AI

I agree with Forbin, but it is not what are you searching for
#13 - JTbo
Quote from mrrrco :Well thank you everyone...By reading your answers I was thinking that I didn't asked the right question : In fact I'm looking for a good racing game to be played SOLO, you know with good championship modes, carreer, etc...I don't think that the problem is that the opponents are a good AI system, or well scripted, sorry my english sucks I'm not sure I'm clear now..
Btw I was wonering If Race 07 was great ? I'm not sure it is pure simulation

If you can live with fact that cars drive bit funny, then maybe Race07 would do, but don't know which kind of career mode there is.
AI is pretty much same as in rFactor, but perhaps it is tweaked so that it does not rear end every corner.

Sound and graphics in Race07 of course are giving you impression of driving, so in that matter it might be ok choice.

Problem with rFactor here is that mods often don't have offline career mode, even it is possible to make. However default cars do have career mode, but then you have to live with cars that handle really weird. Try demo versions before buying, that is if you can get them downloaded somewhere.
I just tryed Race 07 demo, and I quickly came back on LFS.
Quote from Shotglass :so what you meant to say was that the ai is realistic ?

WRONG. Don't let ignorance take you over. The dirt to Daytona AI are about 3-4 seconds slower than the real NASCAR drivers at Watkins Glen.
N2003 has the best AI of any game I've played although it is simple path driven stuff (presumably with a simplified physics engine given the lack of performance hit with a full grid) but on ovals they actually offered racing almost as good as you'd find on the pick up servers without any lag or nearly as many pile ups, which unfortuantley only require one idiot to take out the field with ease on T1 on an oval. On RCs they weren't as good, though still genuinely able to drive with you and not hit every human player in sight.

LFS probably has a lot more potential than other sims because as mentioned before it's done away with all the path driven stuff.

The AI in rF is rubbish, it may seem convincing at times but often cars are stupidly slow in some corners and ridiculously fast in other places. They don't just crash into you at every opportunity they even manage to take each other out on a frequent basis, just let them run on their own. The thing that baffles me most about the rF AI though is how the starts are taken, they either pull away like Sunday drivers and you smack into them or they have uber-traction control and rocket boosters and zoom off crashing into the back of you and they also slam on the brakes randomly when they get close to other cars in a straight line...

If you can race online I'd strongly recommend you do so, if you can't then if oval racing is your thing and you can get a copy try N2003. Otherwise I suggest you just try RBR or rF offline with no AI.
GTR2 Has good AI IMO

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG