The online racing simulator
GPU/Memory Upgrade Help
(19 posts, started )
#1 - Ilpav
GPU/Memory Upgrade Help
Ok. I recently upgraded my GPU (from an ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB AGP to a Sapphire Radeon HD2600 Pro 512MB AGP) and my system memory (added 1024MB PC2700 DDR333 to existing 512MB PC2700 DDR333 for total of 1.5GB). I saw a pretty good improvement in LFS when racing alone (highest resolution, full textures @ 100 fps with the HD2600/1.5 GB RAM vs. 1024x728, not full textures @ 30 fps with the 9200/512MB RAM), but I saw hardly any improvement when I have a full grid of cars (20). Before the upgrade I was getting about 5 fps (unplayable) and now I'm getting around 10 fps (still unplayable). Is there a way to increase the fps when there's a full grid of cars? How much memory is needed for that?

Thanks.

BTW I tried to reduce the resolution and texture quality, but that didn't do anything; highest resolution, full textures = 10 fps. Lowest resolution, lowest textures = 10 fps.
#2 - VoiD
Quote from Ilpav :...Is there a way to increase the fps when there's a full grid of cars

Get a faster CPU?!
thats when you need a CPU get a faster one
#4 - Ilpav
My CPU ain't that bad (P4 2.6GHz). I won't get a new CPU because that'd just be wasting money because I already spent my planned budget on my PC upgrade. If I were to actually need a new CPU, I would buy a whole new computer.
I got 2.7 ghz CPU, I have reduced the LOD some, but I can`t get higher than 30 FPS at start of the race with 20 AI`S.
It`s all about CPU, you just need a faster one. Or maybe reinstall windows and HD cleanup will do, or maybe there are some viruses/adware and spyware that slows down your computer a little.
2.7ghz means nothing. If it was a C2D or 2DQ that would be fine for LFS, but if it was say a Celeron, your toast. What CPU do you have? I have a feeling its a plain socket 478 P4, not enough for LFS and AI's. The physics engine needs a strong CPU.

If you say your already saving for a build, keep saving. Your rig is plenty fine for a 'secondary' machine, or even for light gaming and online stuff.
~Bryan~
#7 - wien
Quote from Ilpav :My CPU ain't that bad (P4 2.6GHz).

That really isn't very fast as P4s have very poor performance per MHz. A full grid of AIs in LFS is extremely heavy on the CPU, so that's definitely what's holding you back.

If you don't want to upgrade you can try fiddling with the "dynamic lod reduction" under the "misc" tab. With that at full tilt LFS will adjust the LOD dynamically to keep the FPS up, and that will probably help a lot. I'm still not sure if you'll get playable framerates with a full grid of AIs though.

Quote from Ilpav :highest resolution, full textures = 10 fps. Lowest resolution, lowest textures = 10 fps.

This is a dead give-away that you're CPU limited BTW. If changing graphics setting does nothing for FPS, something else is holding the GPU back (the CPU).
thats why some P4s at stock are like, 3.2Ghz, although my dads P4 HT on CPU-Z says it has 2 cores and 2 threads, i dunno if its meant to be like that
-
(Scrabby) DELETED by Scrabby
#9 - Jakg
The P4's were crap, but the Pentium Dual Core E21xx series are based on the Core 2 microarchitecture rather than crappy Netburst.
Quote from Jakg :The P4's were crap, but the Pentium Dual Core E21xx series are based on the Core 2 microarchitecture rather than crappy Netburst.

Not everyone can effort buying Pentium Dual Core, it costs hell of a lot. Or at least I think it`s a lot, but thats probally just me :P
Quote from The Very End :Not everyone can effort buying Pentium Dual Core, it costs hell of a lot. Or at least I think it`s a lot, but thats probally just me :P

the Pentium Dual cores, liek E2180, E2140, E2160 are based on the Core 2 Duo architechture, like, it means it uses a Conroe based chip, which all the Core 2 Duos use, hower they just have smaller Caches, 2mb instead of the 4 which to C2Ds have....by the way, the E2140 = £30inc. VAT, E2160 £40 inc. VAT, E2180 £50 inc VAT......
Ohh...kay..
Anyway, your point is that it ain`t that much for a duel core processor? You got to remember you need a main card that supports and such..it gets much eventually
#13 - Jakg
Quote from The Very End :Not everyone can effort buying Pentium Dual Core, it costs hell of a lot. Or at least I think it`s a lot, but thats probally just me :P

Erm, it's £34 for the entry level E2140 - if you can't afford that then i don't think it's a good idea you springing for an upgrade at all...
Quote from harjun :2mb instead of the 4 which

E21xxx = 1 MB cache.

E4xxx = 2 MB cache

E63/400 = 2 MB cache

E6x20 = 4 MB cache

E6600 = 4 MB cache

E6x50 = 4 MB cache

Any current Quad CPU = 8 MB cache.

Help?
what do you mean by, "help"
#15 - Jakg
As in "does that help", not as in "help?".
I have a pentium 4 and its not that bad, it rated at 85% power of a core 2 duo at 2.8ghz or something like that. Its a P4 3.2Ghz Presscott HT. most games that support multiple cores read this thing as a dual core or dual processor anyway. The source engine reads it as an HT though, because source has seperate optimized settings for each processor.
Quote from Jakg :Erm, it's £34 for the entry level E2140 - if you can't afford that then i don't think it's a good idea you springing for an upgrade at all...E21xxx = 1 MB cache.

E4xxx = 2 MB cache

E63/400 = 2 MB cache

E6x20 = 4 MB cache

E6600 = 4 MB cache

E6x50 = 4 MB cache

Any current Quad CPU = 8 MB cache.

Help?

First off I was not going, or thinking of upgrading, just funny to read that everyone tells "just how easy and cheap it is to upgrade"

And I`m more than happy enough with my LFS and computer. I run 90 FPS most times with 4AA and 16AF, full field of 32 players something like 40+ FPS

Anyway, thats not helping the topic starter lol, but conclusion is - buy a new CPU.
I just recently reinstalled my video card (software) and I have a new problem. Before, when I was in a car and alone on a track I was getting 100fps. Now I am getting 80fps with the exact same settings. And what does the LOD do?
The LOD is the amount of detail you see of another car at a distance. The lower you have it, the lower the detail will be. Also, lowering it helps your FPS. But, I agree with what Jack and Harjun said, you need a better CPU.

GPU/Memory Upgrade Help
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG