The online racing simulator
Quote from tailing :A widescreen monitor is the way to go.

Actually,this is the way to go.
Dear god ! That looks like a total body cancer machine
But you want one now don't you Fonny

I do... but I'm too scared to look at the price.
:hyper:

I want, I want, I want, I want, etc. etc..

Awesome.

Surely it wouldn't need to be as tall as it is - our FOV is less vertically than it is horizontally. I mean who really needs a display that starts at their feet? Cool though.
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Actually,this is the way to go.

Nah, I don't want to play LFS inside a balloon

I'm using 85 with a normal 19" monitor. Maybe I'll try my 32" tv sometime for this...but I would need to set up some kind of racing frame for it... I guess I could do with much smaller FOV as I use the look buttons extensively
The best I saw was a link to a site where you could get 3, 4, 5, and I think even 6 flat panel monitors mounted together. Anyone know about it? I can't remember what it was called and I've lost the link on a windows reinstall. It was either in the LFS section of RSC or the do-it-yourself controller section. Man, I wish I still had that link.
i remember seeing that somewhere.....

i wonder though if one of those expensive wall projectors would work well with lfs...... hmmm
Hey!!! It's only a mere $19,995.00 USD. For an avid gamer it's a gotta have.

If anyone out there slips this past the wife, parent, or...significant other, PLEASE let us know how ya did it!

Vette
I enjoyed reading all your posts about the FOV since I myself tend to spend more time on twisting and tweaking than racing (am I illepall?). However, getting that driving feeling is important.

As for me, I use a position pretty close to the instrumentation/windshield (positive Y offset) to get a good feel of the road and the cars ahead (yes, usually I'm left behind :razz. To find the optimal FOV, I approached the configuration process in a few steps:

1. I do not want my display to represent the (close to) 180 degrees that you actually see. Rather, I want to diplay what my eyes and brain is focused on while driving. This means a pretty narrow FOV.
P406_FORWARD.jpg
LFS_FORWARD_1.jpg

2. I need to 'feel' the road as well as be able to judge distances as I am used to in a car. This means, I do not want to see deformed graphics as my brain is not really used to interpret distances in such an environment. I achieved this by increasing the Y-offset and raising Z slightly.

3. I want rear control by a glance in the in-car rear view mirror, but have to turn my head for the left rear view mirror and obviously loose focus on the road. I found this to add a little to the realism making it more difficult.
LFS_FORWARD_2.jpg
P406_LEFT_MIRROR.jpg
LFS_LEFT_MIRROR.jpg

For me, changing the FOV to my personal liking elevated LFS to even higher grounds(roads).

Cheers,
Ingolf
Attached images
P406_FORWARD.jpg
LFS_FORWARD_2.jpg
P406_LEFT_MIRROR.jpg
LFS_LEFT_MIRROR.jpg
LFS_FORWARD_1.jpg
Nice comparison

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG