The online racing simulator
Being slow
(54 posts, started )
Man, u guys really post for a living.
I'll keep practising, thanks for the encouragement.
Good racing with you A.McGeady . Maybe CTRA 1 not the best server to start in when it's busy. Just go onto which ever server takes your fancy and have fun.

Not a bad start anyway, completeing all the races you entered and never finishing last
Quote from danowat :Blimey Kev, do you ever sleep?

I had invoices to write and bourbon to drink. Pretty much just got up - disgraceful aren't I?
:d
I think if you have a gift you will be an alien, if not you will always be fighting in mid field.

you need to understand a lot about cars and physics and whats best to go fast (which I dont) and you also need to know about car setups (which I dont) and when you put it all together with some practice and good concentration you can be an alien i guess. (which im not) i dont think I will ever be one, just a well practiced noob. im a mr. average always have been always will be. its not always bad as long as youre content. theres always someone of your level who you can race with and have fun, thats what counts, racing whoever is next to you, not just being the best and always winning.

when the wins do come, oh they are so much more rewarding and satisfying since, they always seem out of reach.
Quote from richy :you need to understand a lot about cars and physics and whats best to go fast (which I dont) and you also need to know about car setups (which I dont) and when you put it all together with some practice and good concentration you can be an alien i guess.

I don't think the bold parts are true. I am of course no alien but I'm pretty sure that not all LFS aliens know a lot about physics or are very good at making sets. IMO.
Maybe race more and cruise less?

#35 - arco
Turn off Gear Change Cut, and only fill the car with as much fuel as you need. Downshift a little faster too. You're taking a few corners in 2nd gear, when 3rd gear is the optimal, but that will come when you get better confidence. Else, what's already been said by others, use more of the tracks width.
Pass me please - I´m slow
Quote from richy :
you need to understand a lot about cars and physics and whats best to go fast (which I dont) and you also need to know about car setups (which I dont) and when you put it all together with some practice and good concentration you can be an alien i guess. (which im not) i dont think I will ever be one, just a well practiced noob. im a mr. average always have been always will be. its not always bad as long as youre content. theres always someone of your level who you can race with and have fun, thats what counts, racing whoever is next to you, not just being the best and always winning.

I don't think aliens require an above average knowledge of physics, car setup or an above average setup to be fast. The first step is to have a setup that you're comfortable with then it's mainly about learning the best lines and knowing what the car will do before it does it. I'd say that anybody who's going around trying to think about physics whilst driving or gets too carried away with setups is at a distinct disadvantage to someone who just goes out and practices, and maybe occasionally analyses his driving against others, and lets face it which is more fun?
I doubt many drivers in the top leagues such as F1, NASCAR, IRL, V8, Champ Car, etc..know much physics. But I'd believe that you do need to have a grasp of physics (nothing too theoretical, though, that's up to engineers and automotive engineering is not in LFS...yet.) in order to set up a car properly. Either that, or a lot of experimental knowledge.
Quote from arco :Turn off Gear Change Cut (...)

I've noticed that all the WR replays do this.. what's the advantage really? Are we talking brushing of a few hundredths off the lap time at the expense of higher engine wear in long races, or what?

I guess I just find the noise too annoying to bother..
Quote from Gnomie :I've noticed that all the WR replays do this.. what's the advantage really? Are we talking brushing of a few hundredths off the lap time at the expense of higher engine wear in long races, or what?

I guess I just find the noise too annoying to bother..

Depends on how many upshifts you have in a lap, it could mean well to half a second... Staying flat out when upshifting yanks some torque through the drivetrain, giving you a little boost so to speak... At least that's what's been said to happen...

Damage is (except with a few cars) negligible to non-existant, due to too well-performing limiters...
Quote from Gnomie :I've noticed that all the WR replays do this.. what's the advantage really? Are we talking brushing of a few hundredths off the lap time at the expense of higher engine wear in long races, or what?

Yep it's not that big a thing I think half a second from not lifting is way to optimistic.

Quote from bbman :
Damage is (except with a few cars) negligible to non-existant, due to too well-performing limiters...

There are no limiters in the LFS cars, they do rev right into the redline when flat upshifting for this reason I always lift slightly in a long race and it does make a (small) engine damage in most cars, matters much more in XRR and LXs IIRC.
Quote from ajp71 :I don't think aliens require an above average knowledge of physics, car setup or an above average setup to be fast. The first step is to have a setup that you're comfortable with then it's mainly about learning the best lines and knowing what the car will do before it does it. I'd say that anybody who's going around trying to think about physics whilst driving or gets too carried away with setups is at a distinct disadvantage to someone who just goes out and practices, and maybe occasionally analyses his driving against others, and lets face it which is more fun?

well yeah.

you can be fast and know someone else who is fast and knows setups too who can send you some sets, youre right.
I'm addicted to racing online now. I'm not half as bad as I expected either, I'm finding plenty of people that are slower than me. On this particular server, I was even able to constantly finish in 4th or 3rd. Granted, the level of competition was quite low, but hey, still great, and it was clean racing too.

Needless to say, I'm having a lot of fun.
#44 - Gizz
Quote from Aiden McGeady :
Needless to say, I'm having a lot of fun.

then yee shall get faster , i try to halp as many new drivers online as i can, (most of whome are now faster than me ) but you can point them in the right direction, you can tell em this and that and maybe tweak there set a bit, but you carnt give em that moment when the penny drops, and they nail a corner, now when i drop a few tenths, i carnt even tell yea where i dropped it, its a wierd thing, i think they call it experience .... just keep lapping and ENJOY it, your times will come down....

stuff WR, (unless your into WR setting) and remember there will always be someone faster and someone slower, dont get caught up in the (im to slow) syndrome, ya brain will soak it up over time, rushing it just slows the proccess...
Quote from ajp71 :Yep it's not that big a thing I think half a second from not lifting is way to optimistic.

There are no limiters in the LFS cars, they do rev right into the redline when flat upshifting for this reason I always lift slightly in a long race and it does make a (small) engine damage in most cars, matters much more in XRR and LXs IIRC.

I finished a GTR league not long ago that had 1 hour long races. I had throttle cut off in my FZR and never had a problem. I do look forward to the day when engine/clutch damage is modeled to the point where I can't do that.
Update, I seem to be getting better each day, improving both my laps and my racecraft. I'm still shy when it comes to overtaking and being overtaken, but I'm working on being aggressive without causing crashes. I've also since learned to stay as wide as I can during T1, because the wrecks always seem to happen on the inside. I usually end up gaining a good number of positions as a result.

I'm not good enough to hold myself in the middle of the field in competitive servers yet, but I'm looking to become the king of backmarkers.
#47 - Gizz
hehehe i always take the inside if im in the top 4 of the grid, get the breaking point right, i usualy steal a few posistions, that way but as you say your still a bit shy, so the outside is probably ya best best bet, just navigate the carnage and finish with a a podium ....

keep at it, i promise give it a few months you will be dishing out the advice to the new drivers, we like to call it the "LFS evolution" .. just that i seem to be stuck in this evolution cycle as a primative ape
Heh, I'll be looking forward to the time I'm able to give out advice then.
Quote from Meanie :http://www.lfsbr.com/

Pra participar é de graça...

Good mate! You'll get plenty of help in there, looks like a very good site. Unfortunately I don't speak portugese

How's the racing coming along?

Being slow
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG