The online racing simulator
Zonda F does 7:28 at the 'Ring (video!)
Quote from evo magazine :The Porsche Carrera GT is no longer the fastest production supercar around the Nürburgring Nordschleife. That honour now rests with Italian supercar builder Pagani after Nordschleife expert Marc Basseng drove a road-going Zonda F Clubsport around the challenging 12.9-mile lap in just 7:27.82, eclipsing the Porsche’s unofficial record by almost 4sec.

Although domiciled in Modena, Pagani founder Horacio Pagani is Argentinean by birth, and the Zonda F’s lap record attempt was his way of celebrating the 50th anniversary of Fangio’s greatest race victory, in the 1957 German GP, which, of course, was held on the original Nordschleife.

The car – loaned back to Pagani for the record attempt by a very loyal and trusting customer! – was completely standard, and therefore fully homologated.

evo was granted exclusive access to the record-breaking lap, and
you can read the full story, together with our own unique tribute to Fangio’s legendary race win, in next month’s issue, on sale 14th November.

You can find a link to the video from here www.7-28.net
#2 - J@tko
Wow! That's an average speed of 103.7 mph!!!
I always liked that car
Bloody hell that's impressive.

I liked the way he kept looking down at his clocks when he was flat out down the home straight.
Wow, if that was me, that would be the greatest seven and a half minutes of my life. Imagine the adrenaline rush, going for a record on a track as famous as the 'Ring. Kudos to his driving skill, he never seemed to lose his cool, even in those gawd-aweful hairpins and elevation changes.
~Bryan~
Awesome video, thanks for posting..
It looks like he was driving in the wet, so the lap could've been a lot faster!
#9 - heson
Quote from hrtburnout :It looks like he was driving in the wet, so the lap could've been a lot faster!

Yes but if they run dot-tyres (*) it might be good with some watercooling.

* I dont know if they did, but they should if they say road car.
He even missed a gear once Yeah, lovely driving ... But I`d look like this -> when driving it
Quote from Winkel :He even missed a gear once Yeah, lovely driving ... But I`d look like this -> when driving it

Yeah, I wonder how the owner of the car looked while watching it being driven! A little nervous maybe!
Quote from ebola :
Just to let people know VLC Media Player will play flv files.

Just to let people know that VLC player didn't played the file in my case, just the music, i had to download the latest Flash video player (FLV)..
Thats crazy fast, I just done a few laps in a standard Zonda on Forza 2 to see if I could get close. My best time was 07:49.967, and that was on the limit, in a computer game! To do a 7:28 in real life where its so so so much harder is amazing, and the added risk of killing yourself doing it might slow you down.

Pictures of my Zonda (on Forza 2) after and during the ring attack...
Attached images
749 ring zonda.jpg
how its done.jpg
Iirc Top Gear did a thing on real-world vs video game lap times. Definetly worth watching I'll probably download that raw footage and just dub it with tunes I like, highlight a few good areas (maybe a slow-mo glance back a couple seconds)
~Bryan~
They did but not with a Zonda, it was rather some japanese car, but I'm not sure about that. And Jezza did it much faster ingame iirc.
Quote from breadfan :They did but not with a Zonda, it was rather some japanese car, but I'm not sure about that. And Jezza did it much faster ingame iirc.

It was with a Honda NSX at Laguna Seca. I think he was on sports tires in the game with more grip than the street tires the real life car was on, but regardless I think any comparisons between real life and games needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Even if the laptimes were similar, that says nothing about the driving experience. Still interesting though!
Yeah obviously it's not going to mean much when it comes to actually driving, but yeah, it is interesting to learn about what the REAL drivers have to say about the games, actually after RACING the real life counter-parts.
~Bryan~
Quote from Michael Denham :It was with a Honda NSX at Laguna Seca.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlnRY0Ngy3s

All about the fear factor... Even Laguna's turn one kink demands a lot more attention than in the game...

btw, would be nice to see some telemetry of that zonda on the ring. The thing about the onboard is how level it seems through the corners, how calm it appears even at full throttle.
Sabine Smitz (sp?) could do that in a mazda! (=P)
Quote from nihil :...All about the fear factor... ...

Sure, but remember that GT is "The fake driving simulator" so don´t expect doing real lap times. The same happens to Forza 2
Quote from NitroNitrous :Sure, but remember that GT is "The fake driving simulator" so don´t expect doing real lap times. The same happens to Forza 2

Yeah, of course, but this is something that applies to all 'simulators', fake or not. If anyone were to attempt the kind of lap times achieved in GPL or LFS (if it attempted to model real cars or tracks... ), then 99.9% of drivers would find more than a few seconds shaved off their times as the reality of a 150mph approach to a blind crest, or a sharp right bordered by oh-so-solid armco, hit home (hopefully not literally).

Not to say that a fair few of those drivers couldn't overcome that fear with experience, also not to say that there aren't a number of other factors involved (representational nature of the simulation model, lack of gravitational feel on the body of the driver, 24/7 practice access to the car or track involved, list goes on...), but this isn't really a sim vs arcade issue.
#23 - J.B.
I hate it when they don't tell you what tyres were used. Who were those brits again who keep claiming to have the NS lap record although they use slicks?
Yeah, that's frustrating. Even within stock road cars there's so much variety in OEM tires that one car might be ahead of another based purely on the tire. How much quicker is a CSL than a standard M3, and how much is down to the tires? Makes comparisons difficult.
Quote from J.B. :I hate it when they don't tell you what tyres were used. Who were those brits again who keep claiming to have the NS lap record although they use slicks?

Are you talking about the Radical SR8: 6mins 55secs and "...if we had fitted slick tyres we could [have] knocked more than 30 seconds off this time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ydoptH_bw

As I understand it, they were running on Dunlop Direzza tyres, advertised as a "summer" tyre for road-going sports cars. Whether you reckon the SR8 is a road car is another matter, but hey, it has lights and indicators (and it would be fun to have one in LFS...)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG