The online racing simulator
Tutorial - Smooth acceleration with mouse
Many drivers have made topics here, where they are asking is smooth acceleration without wheel/joystick possible, so it look's that they dont know how to do it, so here is small tutorial.

Go to:
Options-Controls - Wheel/js

Set Throttle / Brake axes combined

Go to:
Axes / FF

Press on: Steer, choose axe: Mouse X
Press on: Thr / Brl Combined, choose axe: Mouse Y

Now start race and move your mouse up, car will start accelerate smoothly. Move mouse down, it will brake slowly.

Here is pic-

Thats all
Wow I'm glad I have a wheel. I've tried this before, and using both of the mouse axes for different things is very complicated, and your mouse will be all over the table as you steer, accelerate, and brake.
This will work when you accelerate but under braking I can not make it... direction gets wrong
Alternate suggestion:
Decrease button control rate as suggested in this post:

Quote from gohfeld23 :I was a mouse racer for a long time and I do have some tips that will make it much more controllable.

First off, map your keyboard to brake and throttle for your left hand. Now map your mouse buttons to shift up/down.
This has a dual purpose.
First it gives you more control and less chances to fumble buttons trying to brake, accelerate and steer.
Second has to do with computer drivers and potential hardware restrictions.
Trying to steer brake and stabilise the car with the mouse at the same time can have response issues between the mouse, drivers and your PC.
By separating the important commands to 2 devices (Kb and Mouse), 2 different sets of drivers take care of only one input at a time...I hope this makes sense.

Another extremely important setting for RWD is Button Control Rate.
In LFS, its set to 4 by default. This is too responsive for powerful RWD cars as the power is either full on or full off.
Lower this to mid to low 2's and hitting the button will smoothly apply throttle in LFS.
This helps greatly in corner outs and braking without locking. Just make sure to brake a tad earlier this way, or you will overshoot the corner.

Good luck. I hope this helps a bit.

I found this useful
#4 - word.
I tried this, but just tapping the buttons is better for me. The problem is using both the X and Y axis at the same time. When I just normally steer with the mouse I move it up and down a little bit, I move it in an arc shape from side to side. When I try to brake and accelerate with the Y axis I cant keep the steering straight.

One day I'll buy a G25
TBH I find it easier just to use keyboard buttons for gas/brake (as crude as that sounds, it works quite well once you get the hang of it) Althrough I don't race much in the open wheelers, or the GTR class, I seem to manage. Using the mouse for both X and Y axis seems too difficult, as while I move x, y also moves and vise versa...
~Bryan~
mouse buttons for me
What do the other keyboard racers use the mouse buttons for? I use them for gear shifting, and the scroll pushed down for my clutch (scroll up for TC, scroll down for speed limiter) It seems to work quite well, I can manage all my transmission needs with just the mouse.
~Bryan~
I've sort of adapted to using axis mouse, and I have to say, with a bit of time and practice, it really is not as bad as people are saying.

You need to play around with the Analogue Steer Smooth setting a bit so the handling isn't too jittery. I have mine set at 85, works great for me.

My driving is a bit better now, although I still need much more practice to retain my previous mouser race times. I've gotten to the point where I can control the whale FZ5 mid-drift And any mouser knows how hard that can sometimes be.
If it was possible use the 'Steer center reduction' option under the Wheel/JS controls, then it would've been possible to use the X axis for steering and Y axis for throttle/brake, but to use the Y axis for brake, you must use the Wheel/JS controls instead of the mouse/keyboard.

The 'Steer center reduction' is not present on that screen and steering with a mouse without that option is IMPOSSIBLE. Maybe if the developers put that option for the sake of mouse players in a next patch, then Y axis throttle/brake could be useful.

Suggestion here ^

I use my mouse buttons to throttle/brake/shift-gears/clutch and the X axis to steer. I use the keyboard to look left/right/back. I kind of suck though.
I find keyboard controls for acc/brake to work the best, but it's still a pain. Mouse control rate helps a bit, but in some cars (XFG eg) I want the slider all the way to the right, while something like the LX6, dialed all the way back down.

I'm starting to use the mouse wheel to change gears, and that's a bit weird, but maybe I'm getting used to it. Is that how the fast guys shift down immediately from 5th to 2nd? If not, what's the secret?
Quote from Electrik Kar :I'm starting to use the mouse wheel to change gears, and that's a bit weird, but maybe I'm getting used to it. Is that how the fast guys shift down immediately from 5th to 2nd? If not, what's the secret?

If you turn off auto clutch you can shift from 5th to 2nd instantly, but it doesn't help you. You are better off shifting down 4th, 3rd, 2nd, blipping the throttle just after you shift for extra engine braking. I can cut about 25m off the braking distance doing this.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG