The online racing simulator
LFS - Onboard Video Card?
(11 posts, started )
Hey

My video card has stopped working and now my computer is running of the onboard one.
Is it possible to run lfs with and onboard video card.
Because when i try and open it at the moment it says

' LFS: Could not detect and suitable screen modes '

any ideas

thanks in advance

Rotor Dori
Are the correct drivers installed and working properly.
It depends on the onboard graphics. I have a real POS computer at work that we use to watch replays of our racing during lunch with the S1 demo. S2 came out and I can no longer load LFS. I get the "can't initialize graphics" error. Nothing changed on the computer. It is an old computer with an old Intel onboard graphics chip.

My computer at home has an ATI X200 onboard chip. I happily played LFS almost nightly at 25-40 FPS (could dumb the graphics down more for 80 FPS if I wanted to...)

My other computer also loads LFS fine. It just doesn't have the processor power to run LFS with any decent look and frame rate. It has 16 mb shared onboard Intel Extreme graphics chip. It's the 667 MHz that kills it. But my 7 year old plays LFS on it quite a bit.
Quote from rotordori :Hey

My video card has stopped working and now my computer is running of the onboard one.
Is it possible to run lfs with and onboard video card.
Because when i try and open it at the moment it says

' LFS: Could not detect and suitable screen modes '

any ideas

thanks in advance

Rotor Dori

You have set the old card, so high in quality, that the onboard card can`t cope with this. Open the setupfile and remove the setting for the old card, then you should be able to choose a new

EDIT :
Setupfile is in the Lfs root.
Quote from mrodgers :It depends on the onboard graphics. I have a real POS computer at work that we use to watch replays of our racing during lunch with the S1 demo. S2 came out and I can no longer load LFS. I get the "can't initialize graphics" error. Nothing changed on the computer. It is an old computer with an old Intel onboard graphics chip.

My computer at home has an ATI X200 onboard chip. I happily played LFS almost nightly at 25-40 FPS (could dumb the graphics down more for 80 FPS if I wanted to...)

My other computer also loads LFS fine. It just doesn't have the processor power to run LFS with any decent look and frame rate. It has 16 mb shared onboard Intel Extreme graphics chip. It's the 667 MHz that kills it. But my 7 year old plays LFS on it quite a bit.

And this could also be the solution to the problem
Let`s hope your onboard card can cope
#6 - Jakg
Irrespective of whether it can or can't cope, it should still work - i recommned that you delete "card_cfg.txt" from the main LFS Folder and if it still doesn't work then try re-installing your graphics drivers.
Thanx heaps guy's
the problem is now fixed, and i can only juuuuust play lfs
but this will keep me occupied until i get the new card

thanx again guys
you are/have been great help
keep up the good work
I run on my onboard GFX card with absolutely no probs. It can run at 20-40FPS if I wanted it. I have a NVidia GeForce4 MX420 (64mb VRAM) as the onboard GFX card. I think Dell is really very generous in the last few years.
Quote from BumpinKickerl7 :honestly kill yourself for running onboard video. spend like 60-120 get something decent.

That's nice, "kill yourself for running onboard." Perhaps $120 for a graphics card would mean the kids wouldn't get any food for the week, or he couldn't get to work because he would use up all his available funds on a gfx card. Maybe they will reposess (sp?) his car because he can't make the car payment for buying that card. Think a little about it. Not everyone is well off financially in this crappy US economy.

Perhaps you should kill yourself for running demo. Spend like $49 and buy an LFS license for crying out loud....

A ridiculous post, that was....
Quote from mrodgers :That's nice, "kill yourself for running onboard." Perhaps $120 for a graphics card would mean the kids wouldn't get any food for the week, or he couldn't get to work because he would use up all his available funds on a gfx card. Maybe they will reposess (sp?) his car because he can't make the car payment for buying that card. Think a little about it. Not everyone is well off financially in this crappy US economy.

Perhaps you should kill yourself for running demo. Spend like $49 and buy an LFS license for crying out loud....

A ridiculous post, that was....

Thats wat i was goin to say,but in less words(and proberly more harshly)

~Also glad OP got his problem solved for the time being.
Mike, maybe the reason is that HVS was forced on in S2, just becuase most people would have a card supporting HVS?

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG