The online racing simulator
The main issue with the current circuit is the TDF file, which specifies lots of bumps and different grip zones. I disagree with that, they have really overdid it in my opinion.

When you drive it on a ''better'' TDF file, I can get sub 20, and would probably get 8:15 if I tried many laps. WIth the default track, 8:25 is already very very very scary.

The magazine used the Z51 gearbox btw, for the last bit of accuracy I"m pretty sure I've attached the modified TDF file somewhere here in this thread..
I can't find the TDF (searched for TDF) . Are you sure you attached it in this thread? (unfortunately, I don't know how to modify such files myself).

And are you really certain that they overdid it? The Nos is a rather bumpy track with lots of changes in grip -- Although it looks smoother than the rFactor-version in most onboard laps I've seen.

And btw: I just realized that I managed the 8.50 with grippy track-day tyres. With the standard road tyres I haven't managed to get below 9 minutes, yet .
Wow, you should release an updated version of the vette that includes those tweaks as upgrades...
You'll have to install the RealFeel plugin which takes the FF from the actual forces on the steering rack. Its available at www.rfactorcentral.com.

Then you must tweak it a bit in order to match the force strength with the car you're driving, much like in LFS where steering feels heavier or lighter depending on car and caster etc etc.

In the reafleel.ini file, the Chevrolet section (will exist once you've installed realfeel and ran the corvette once) you can change this:
max force: 7000
damper: 11500

And somewhere high in the ini file, the main settings, set smoothing to 0 or 1 if you have a G25..

In game you want to set the force feedback to 'low' which leaves out all the vibration nonsense..

The corvette has upgrades available in game, one of which is a setting that turns the ISI force feedback strength to zero. If you install that and run RealFeel, all the FF you're feeling comes straight from the physics.
Tried it, not bad, really, but damage model is rubbish, bumpers have to fall off...
can the old merc mod be played using the demo version of rfactor?
You can't officially play 'mods' on the demo afaik...
how much is rfactor anyways?
(im just lazy)
Wow thats not even ultra obvious from their site.. I think 35 dollars if I recall..
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Wow thats not even ultra obvious from their site.. I think 35 dollars if I recall..

Yep I wanted to check the other day out of curiosity but couldn't find it, IIRC it was £20.
-
(JO53PHS) DELETED by JO53PHS
Sorry to bump this thread, but although Niels' mod is very very good, I can't understand why (the corvette included) in rFactor you get nothing but understeer when you lift off the throttle..

Infact, in the C6 it's basically understeer all the time, unless you really provoke it, whereby you are given massive oversteer.
very nice mod, been driven it on the Nordschleife many many times (also drift laps etc..)
If anyloen would like to drive with me with the C6 of Niels add me on Xfire:
pyrofish1337
Quote from DaveWS :Sorry to bump this thread, but although Niels' mod is very very good, I can't understand why (the corvette included) in rFactor you get nothing but understeer when you lift off the throttle..

Infact, in the C6 it's basically understeer all the time, unless you really provoke it, whereby you are given massive oversteer.

Have you tried the CSGT (70's WSC) preview mod (906, 910, 911 and 914)? The 911 is great fun and really tail happy.

Most modern road cars and a lot of track cars will not naturally be prone to oversteer without deliberate provaction. We're just used to LFS cars being setup to be on the edge, if you're going to compare road cars at least compare them with realistic setups like Bob's road going sets, you'll find that they'll demonstrate similar behaviour to the Corvette.
Hey Dave,

There *is* a 'zone' where you're not under or oversteering badly. Your feelings match with those of many, pretty bad understeer, applying too much lock, then when you boot it you get violent oversteer.

A change of style is probably required, and it is imo a good (perhaps not quite fully realistic) aspect of the corvette, you have to be carefull with it, nursing it around the grip limit. If not, you're under or oversteering. But when you find this neutral zone, the car comes to life and you find yourself making small corrections for oversteer or scrubbing some speed off with understeer.. No longer the 'big' versions of these two states.

Don't know if you've seen my old ish Ring video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5ssFnBTCI

at 25 secs the righthander, the exit for example
at 1:50 the lefthander in 4th gear is still balancing
at 3:15, the twitch on downshift, and oversteer on exit
at 3:31, fairly balanced slightly oversteery exit (bumps did that)

Anyway, there are some more examples in that video. The main thing is that you have to avoid the understeer at all cost. IMO the driver is always to blame for understeer. When you do experience it, steering 'more' is something I still see from so many videos; yet it will just worsen the understeer.

When driven around its limit as the ring video somewhat ish-ly shows, there are plenty of twitches and slight 'worries' without too many extremes.

If this is all accurate, well probably not quite, but its not too bad and a very good excersize to adapt to the car
Quote from ajp71 :Have you tried the CSGT (70's WSC) preview mod (906, 910, 911 and 914)? The 911 is great fun and really tail happy.

Most modern road cars and a lot of track cars will not naturally be prone to oversteer without deliberate provaction. We're just used to LFS cars being setup to be on the edge, if you're going to compare road cars at least compare them with realistic setups like Bob's road going sets, you'll find that they'll demonstrate similar behaviour to the Corvette.

I get what you are saying but the way you need to be totally dedicated to be extra agressive to get the tail slide at corner entry is what kinda leaves the experience a bit half-filled. And the whole thing is usually multiplied with rf when you cannot set up the car to be loose on corner entry, you just change how snappy the car is between full grip/no grip. While Niels' car is very good on most parts the corner entry part leaves lot to be desired imho .

EDIT: basically what I'm saying is that it is impossible to lose control on corner entry.
and btw put on the TrackDay tyres and i always try to give gas even if its a little
I had another go on the ring Niel's, and as long as you keep your corner entry speed lowish, you can balance the car quite nicely on the throttle.
Now all I have to do is learn this huge track...
Hey thats cool to hear Dave, indeed, too fast corner entry is deadly, slow in fast out is much better!
ye bollocks its shite lets face it. i've tried that ...infact i've tried every other sim and compared to LFS they are CRAP....TRUTH...no joke! it is true and you know it is true.

LFS fanboy or not i have searched high and low for a proper sim and nothing comes close, believe me i have tried then all.

Pissed of as I am that there are no real tracks or cars, tough shit, actually it's what makes mthis sim....

Kev I love you

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG