The online racing simulator
New rush of FPS games
(55 posts, started )
New rush of FPS games
We have already had Crysis and Portal mentioned, but I was wondering what peoples views were on other recent releases.
I have tried (and enjoyed!) The Witcher, and I am now considering either Hellgate:London, Timeshift, or maybe something else.
I also tried out the biggest pile of pants to be released in the last few years..namely Clive Barkers Jericho. Even the first level on the demo made me cringe...a bleedin' FPS where you cant even JUMP!!! (As somebody else said in another thread..who needs a good plot and good gameplay when you got loads and loads of bloom?)

So guys, which should I try next? Hellgate or Timeshift?
I'm not really a fan of FPS games but everything about SciFi and time is into my interest. So I downloaded Timeshift a sec ago
The trailer was nice.
Armed Assault (with Evolution MP co-operative campaign) is the only new-wave FPS game worth playing in my humble opinion.

EDIT: How was the Timeshift (careful with the typing) anyway? Trailer looked interesting, but then again it was prerended...
I played the Jericho demo on Xbox and was disappointed.

It's not scary, just gory. And they're selling it on the idea that your squad has special abilities. They do, but you're put in positions where you have to use them, rather than working out for yourself alternate methods to use them to accomplish goals, like the Crysis suit.

The TimeShift demo was alright, but I kept forgetting to use the time altering abilities so didn't really get far I'll need to give it another shot.
#5 - ajp71
I bought the Orange Box which is enough FPS for me atm, and it plays on my PC. I've seen the Call of Duty 4 demo on a friends computer and it looked amazing. Bioshock looks cool but TBH it isn't that great a game.
@ajp I though Bioshock was damn good actually, the most atmospheric game I've played in a long long time. That said I have only played it for a few hours, but still, definitely worth a play.

Tbh I'd prefer it if I owned an Xbox360 and had it for that, as it's more of a pass-around game to play with some mates.
Quote from ajp71 :Bioshock looks cool but TBH it isn't that great a game.

I thought it was one of the best games that i've played this year. And i'm not even really into FPS games. The artwork alone is amazing already.
-
((-Mark-)) DELETED by (-Mark-)
Quote from Dajmin :
The TimeShift demo was alright, but I kept forgetting to use the time altering abilities so didn't really get far

Demo was ok and it's fun to run around 3 enemies in slow-motion and shoot them etc. but the whole demo is to short.
I think it took 15 minutes to get through the demo when you use the timeshift abilities when needed.
#9 - Lible
Armed Assault is the best, altough it isn't a shooter, rather a simulator.

I didn't get OpenAL working on my system tough
Quote from Lible :Armed Assault is the best, altough it isn't a shooter, rather a simulator.

I didn't get OpenAL working on my system tough

Got ArmA a couple of days ago and i really like it, but what the hell is going on with the patches ?? 1.08 won't even allow me to start the game, and it seems the community has been waiting for a fix since June ?
I very recommend Call Of Duty 4:modern warfare, one of the best demos i like to date.
loove Team fortress 2 bought it yesterday, AWSOME
Unreal Tournament 3 seems really well optimized for PC. The demo runs quite smoothly on my (aged, aging) Athlon 2500+. And from an AnandTech article its performance scales up 60% when going dual core. Nice programming I'd say.

I only know MOH Airborne used the UT3 engine, but doesn't seem so optimized. And COD4 won't even start on my computer.
Quote from Bladerunner :
I also tried out the biggest pile of pants to be released in the last few years..namely Clive Barkers Jericho. Even the first level on the demo made me cringe...a bleedin' FPS where you cant even JUMP!!! (As somebody else said in another thread..who needs a good plot and good gameplay when you got loads and loads of bloom?)

Isn't that typical Codemasters approach?
Quote from rc10racer :I very recommend Call Of Duty 4:modern warfare, one of the best demos i like to date.

I have to agree with you (doesn't happen to often )
but this demo was absolutly amazing - great look and feel

This game gets def. on my wishlist
Was in the CoD4 multiplayer beta, pre-ordered it when it ended. Really really enjoyed it and the shots from the single-player campaign are amazing.

Helicopter
Soldier

Some of it is staggeringly close to photo-quality too, although when you're running around a complex trying to avoid eating grenades or helicopter mini-gun fire you don't notice so much
I love the CoD series, especially CoD3, i thought it was a great game. But, there was one problem, the game is way too short! I cleared it in 3 days

I have the ArmA demo, and tbh, i dont really like it
Quote from Shotglass :good god that looks horrbile

I always thought helicopters needed rotors..or is that the new 'Stealth' Copter with unvizzyball rotors?

Quote from Shotglass : and bladey for christs sake resize your sig

Whats wrong with it?? only standard size

Quote from Shotglass : (bit of a downer this post is so heres a jedi with what appears to be pants on his head http://www.jedichefs.com/jca/images/JCA442_Jason.jpg )

Who the hell is that?? looks ssuspiciously like somebody I recognize from somewhere...
That chopper is irrelevant in that pic, it was the waves I like. It gives the impression of being a very small man surrounded by a very big dangerous area. Which is cool. But I never even noticed the lack of blades on it. I guess they must strobe when they move
Quote from Bladerunner :Whats wrong with it?? only standard size

well ... everything
but to be a bit more specific
1) that line of userbars is too wide and cant linewrap
2) its a bit long
3) why the heck do you insist on using userbars up the wazoo ?

Quote :Who the hell is that?? looks ssuspiciously like somebody I recognize from somewhere...

no idea ... just what i found while searchign for yoda with a pancake on his head

Quote from Dajmin :That chopper is irrelevant in that pic, it was the waves I like. It gives the impression of being a very small man surrounded by a very big dangerous area. Which is cool. But I never even noticed the lack of blades on it. I guess they must strobe when they move

now that youve mentioned that the waves do look a lot more like water than the usual mirror surfaces you get in games these days which look nothing like water
still the amount of bloom is just aweful and confirms the stereotype that gamedevlopers never see the sun and apparently have to rely on pictures taken with crappy cameras using exposure times that are at least 2 minutes too long for reference on what the real world looks like
Quote from Shotglass :

Looks fine on my 22" Widescreen at 1680*1050

(And it linewraps on mine...just tried it!)
Quote from Shotglass :well ... everything
but to be a bit more specific
2) its a bit long
3) why the heck do you insist on using userbars up the wazoo ?

Better now?
Quote from Bladerunner :
Who the hell is that?? looks ssuspiciously like somebody I recognize from somewhere...

Looks similar like that guy in Red Dwarf, but I think it's not him

Now I need to go download CoD4 demo...
Quote from BlackEye :Looks similar like that guy in Red Dwarf, but I think it's not him

Nah...wasnt thinking of Dave Lister (a hero of mine btw!)
Though he looked more like THIS guy TBH...

New rush of FPS games
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG