The online racing simulator
Stereo 3D - loosing the wheels in mirrors
I don't know if anyone else has come across this problem....I use stereo 3d glasses. Everything looks great apart from cars in the mirrors. The wheels are drawn to the left of the chasis. Does lfs draw the wheels and chasis on alternate frames in the mirrors for better performance? if so, is there a way to turn this off?

Would really appreciate any help.

Dave
Does the software or something make the actual graphics look wierd? If so, would a screenshot be possible?

As for turning off the mirrors, if it is the side mirrors, I don't think you can turn those off. But try pressing Shift + M -- that usually turns off the top mirror if you have a virtual one enabled.
No, the rest of the graphics look fine. it's just the mirrors. It turns out not to be alternate frames, It seems that the z-value for the wheels is set to the background depth so the further away a car is in the mirrors, the more the wheels separate from the chasis. Here's a screenshot of the left mirror
Attached images
untitled.bmp
and here's one showing it further away
Attached images
mirror2.bmp
#5 - (SaM)
Haha that looks hilarious! But are you sure it has something to do with the glasses? It looks like an LFS bug, apart from the glasses. Try changing the Z-buffer under graphics perhaps.
Yeah I noticed this too.
What do you use? 3Dementional? I found with LFS they simply will not work. The reason for this is how the game draws seprate parts (The the wheels)
Outside depth never changes, (just the wheels) The only real effect I got from shutter glassess in this game, is in cockpit view, looking at the steering wheel. And well, as cool as it is for 5 minutes, it just 'darkens' the screen to much, for no advantage.. :| LFS would've been great to have 'Field of Depth' but just simply will not work.
I am using the emagin z800 and I find it amazing. The sense of depth is awesome. It's just this wheels problem that spoils it.
This happened to me also as I was playing a while ago. First everything looked ok and as it should but then I joined the spectators and joined back in the game and every car looked like this:

http://nismo.1g.fi/temp/houston-we-have-a-problem.jpg

As you can see it's not just in the mirrors. Not using any 3d glasses either. The problem went away after I re-started LFS.
Moved to Technical Assistance forum
I had the same problem a long time ago with one of the Geoff Crammond F1 games. That time it was not only in the mirrors. I'm sure there must be a simple explanation for this loose wheel phenomenon. c'mon codies, what is it??

Thanks,

Dave
This has something to do with hardware T&L, I think. I remember reading something about this problem on another forum before I bought my pair of edimensional glasses. I run them all the time and don't have this problem. It's not the glasses, it's a video setting.

I'll see if I can find the post that explains the fix.

edit: found a few mentions of this and it seems to be a problem with certain video cards and/or having HVS enabled. See if it still happens with HVS turned off. What kind of video card do you have?
#12 - ysu
Same here.
It wasn't so with older drivers tho. Or was it S1? Either way, I did not play lfs for a long while before S2 came out, and it was crap in S2 with the new video drivers if I remember it right.

Still ugly though.
Thanks cue-ball. Excuse my ignorance, but what is HVS? do I turn it off in game or through the nvidia display control panel?

Dave

P.S, I'm using a shiny new nvidia 7800 GTX.
Aaargh! That did the trick, but with software vertex shading, my car has gone all flickery! Any ideas??
Quote from goode400 :Aaargh! That did the trick, but with software vertex shading, my car has gone all flickery! Any ideas??

Maybe you took a big hit in frame rate by turning off HVS? You never mentioned what video card you're using or your machine specs. Or perhaps when you turned it off you changed refresh rate. Check your refresh rate and make sure it's as high as you can go (minimum of 85Hz is recommended - try to get 100Hz if you can).
Cue ball, Thanks for reply. to use these goggles i have to use 600x800 @ 60hz. Frame rate is fine. nvidia 7800 gtx, athlon 64x2 dual core, 1gig ram.
Quote from goode400 :to use these goggles i have to use 600x800 @ 60hz.

There's the cause of your flicker. You need to be running 85Hz minimum to get rid of the flicker. I personally never run under 100Hz and I use 1280x960 resolution.

I can't imagine that your monitor only supports 60Hz at that 800x600, especially since you've got a pretty beefy system. Is your monitor a ten year old 15" CRT or something? Most modern CRTs can run 1024x768 at 85Hz or higher easily. Try changing around your resolution and refresh rate in LFS. If you can get 1024x768 at 85Hz that should be a good compromise to reduce flicker while still giving decent resolution. If that works, try running 1280x768 at 85Hz. If one works, the other usually does too. Whatever you do, you NEED to get that refresh rate up to 85Hz or higher. The higher the better.
it's not a monitor, it's a hmd ( www.emagin.com ) which will only run at 60hz. there is no flicker because the micro-screens are oled. the flicker is on the surfaces of objects and track, not over the whole screen.
My bad. I missed your post where you mentioned you were using a head mounted display. I thought you were using the eDimensional glasses like the rest of us.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG