The online racing simulator
VB Programming Question (non LFS)
(8 posts, started )
Hi,

I need to create an app that reads a 55byte packet that is transmitted every 5 seconds (So, I guess just make a constant polling loop and when data is received... then goody)

I have good (well, reasonable) working knowledge of VB(6) but I have never done comms before. Where do I start, and how can I accomplish this?

The things I really have no clue about are setting up a port (easy as OPEN COM1 or &H2F8 etc FOR ... like in the old QBASIC days?) and receiving the stream. This will be a serial port device.

Thanks
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Hi,

I need to create an app that reads a 55byte packet that is transmitted every 5 seconds (So, I guess just make a constant polling loop and when data is received... then goody)

Where is the data coming from? Network source? COM port? You seem to suggest COM port, but I wanna check
Serial port, RS232 Cable
#4 - Woz
I think VB6 comes with a comms control, pro does anyway. You should just have to set that going and read its buffer I think. Been a while since I last touched VB though
Indeed there is a comms control... I've just never used it
#6 - Stuff
Hmm, have no idea about serial ports but Planet Source Code has a few programs/source examples to check out.. I found some here and here
That avatar makes you look about 12, Ray.

/OT
I did a little bit of working with Com ports a few years ago but honestly wouldn't be able to tell you how to go about it now I'm afraid. Google search should reveal some good examples though surely?

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG