The online racing simulator
Help with AGP
(13 posts, started )
#1 - Gaas
Help with AGP
Hey just wanted to ask u guys what do you think about this graphic cards, what would you suggest me to buy.

Gainward BLISS 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 - ~50euros
Point of View 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 - ~70euros
Asus ati radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 - ~65euros

i dont intend to upgrade pc for about year, and i mostly play LFS and would like to try Age of Conan and Tabula Rasa.
#2 - Ziil
I'd say go for the 850XT Tabula will run very nicely on it I have a laptop with a Go7600 and Tabula Rasa looks pretty nice on it and I have good fps aswell and the XT is better than my go7600 Don't know about Conan i dont have beta access just need to wait and see
#3 - Gaas
well i was thinking of x850xt but for less money i can have 6800GS that doesnt seem much slower, or im wrong? and besides that x850xt has 2.0b SM and 6800gs has SM 3.0
#4 - Gaas
any other oppinion?
Well, i'm certainly no expert when it comes to GFX cards, but, i was looking at these three cards recently (albeit pci-e). Here's what i found out.

Generally the 7600 should have a slight edge on performance over the other two in most games etc, but it's a bit more expensive as you can see. If you can find a cheap X800 GTO2 get it, it's basically an X850 with a few of the pipelines disabled, but they can be re-enabled with a simple bit of software. But, by all accounts ATI's drivers are not the best.... so ??

In the end i got a cheap but brand new XFX 6800GS XXX which is as good as the GT Ultra version, + it loves to be OC'd so it may even be better than a stock 7600, time will tell.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much you want to pay and what you want to play. You mentioned a couple of games there which to be honest i've never even heard off, but, if i were you i wouldn't buy a GFX card specifically for one game. At a later stage you might fall in love with something else, FSX for example, which might end up playing like crap on your chosen card, yet play like a dream on a card you rejected.

So, as with many things in life, it's advisable to get the best thing you can afford at the time.

But, having said all that, the best advice i can give you is just hang around for a while till Jakg spots this thread and gives his advice.
#6 - Gaas
Hehe ty, so now i wait Jakg
Did you consult this? They also do a "best bang for the buck" round-up of AGP cards every month or so.
#8 - Gaas
yes i did cunsult with tom, but he doesnt really seem objectiv in this tests,and besides that i would like to hear opinions from people here more than toms
#9 - Jakg
Toms Hardware = T3h suckage imo. They never use the latest drivers, and as such they're VGA chart is a joke.

I can't have an input on this as i know very little about cards of that era, however if your PC was decent i'd get the 7600GS as the lack of SM3 on the x800 could be crippling.
#10 - Gaas
well rest of the configuration is P4 3.1Ghz s.478 and 2x256MB DDR 400, so i really dont think its decent :S, so im not sure about the lack of SM 3.0.. im not sure if i get that card that ill be able to use that SM 3.0 in any game . i primary thinking of 6800GS because its cheapest and afaik it will be enough to run LFS high...and besides that it has SM 3.0 just in case..
ahh really dont even know what to think, im totaly confused after all those reviews
#11 - Jakg
If that's the rest of your PC i'd get the 6800GS and save the rest for more RAM.
#12 - Gaas
yeah thats probably best solution, get 6800gs and another 512 ram
#13 - Gaas
well couldnt take 6800 because it was sold, so i got asus x850xt adn LFS looks perfect

Help with AGP
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG