The online racing simulator
lol
Quote from Jakg :Yay! A track perfect suited for me!

Mmmmm I thought every track was suited to you Jakg
The other day (sat i think) i went almost 2hrs without rolling it in there, doing 10-14lap qualifying stints and to be honest the only reason you'll have for rolling the car round there is by taking the wrong line, once you find the correct line and get used to it then it shouldnt be a problem for anyone. I think i rolled it 2 or 3 times last night by trying to push too hard at T1 when i hadnt got my line sorted out, that was just being too eager and aggressive to set a fast lap, so in the end i started slowing for it until i'd found the turn in point and the ideal angle of attack, then after a while it wasnt a problem to nail T1 without slowing down.

In a proper race though its completely different, i think during public races most of our guys are really hotlapping and finishing position comes 2nd, only because we're trying to find that ideal route as i mentioned before, once you have that then we'll race, but winning and not learning anything is pretty pointless if winning doesnt acheive anything. But as i say, come the actual races then people wont push themselves beyond their limits to make a fast lap, but there may be passes which get messy but there shouldnt be many cases of people rolling, and i'd put good money on most circumstances that that would happen would come from people just not accepting that someone has the better of them for the corner and rather than letting it go and trying to get it back they force the situation and someone gets screwed. I can kinda understand these actions in a proper race, but the public races i really dont understand the aggressive defensive driving of some, and anyone getting into my slipstream and making a pass will notice i honestly couldnt give a damn, if im meant to beat you then i'll get it back its that simple, but im not going to start acting like a dick weaving all over and forcing people off the road in order to hold onto a meaningless place, i'll save all the dirty tactics till the real thing
Quote :the public races i really dont understand the aggressive defensive driving of some, and anyone getting into my slipstream and making a pass will notice i honestly couldnt give a damn, if im meant to beat you then i'll get it back its that simple, but im not going to start acting like a dick weaving all over and forcing people off the road in order to hold onto a meaningless place, i'll save all the dirty tactics till the real thing

See thats where I differ from you Mercury guys as I would rather use the races as if they were a real league race and practice my race craft, speed comes with experience of any combo and times will gradually fall, granted hotlapping will have this effect also but I can do that offline TBO and I will extensively for the week leading upto the league race.

I'm not saying that one way is better than the other as it is up to the individual to find what works for them, It's just two ways to get to where we need to be come race day

But I think I have more FUN

And if you are referring to this as Dick driving, I believe it's a typical example of a Hotlapper getting offline and not being able to cope all in all though the standard is much better compared to 2 weeks ago and i will race with you guys anytime

(Incident at the start of lap 3)
Attached files
FE Green Baby-R.mpr - 643 KB - 86 views
Yeah, i guess i can appreciate that, but if someone has got along side me, whether its side by side or has any amount of they car level with mine and they're faster than me more often than not i'd conceed the position, and theres 2 reasons i do this.
Firstly for safety, if i think the person is going to have a reasonable chance of passing me (and 'reasonable' doesnt have to be more than 50% chance) then the safest option is to give it up and live to fight another day.
Secondly, which i think 90% of people are completely oblivious to, is the fact that defending the position usually costs you more than it gains you! People dont really seem to understand how much slower you become by forcing the situation into a dangerous line. Not only is it dangerous for both drivers to force the manuover off the racing line, but its considerably slower, and that only invites other people who are behind you to join in the stupidity.

I've always had an unusual approach to racing, and usually get critisism from people for it, usually teammates who just dont get it. Im of the opinion that you shouldnt bite off more than you can chew. Know your limits, know what your capable of, dont stretch yourself and stick to a plan, only deviating from it if your sure it'll pay off.
First time i got told it was all wrong was yonks ago, about 3 years ago, it was an mercury series (ie just (\/) members) and we were racing round FE Club in XFG/XRG, one of the few tracks im pretty good at, and the first race i'd managed to finish 2nd, was a decent result considering im easily the slowest driver in Mercury, always have been. The 2nd race was reversed grid, and i knew i'd managed to go through the field and take 2nd, so that was my plan again, so off the start i just moved right over and let the previous winner through, no messing about just lifted off the throttle and tucked in behind him for T1. I knew i couldnt beat him, and if i focused on beating the people i could beat then it made more sense than driving half a second slower trying to defend some stupid position like 8th just so that st0rm wouldnt pass me while the rest of those i was faster just pulled further away.
Most people will find that stupid, but i knew what i could do and what i couldnt, and i stuck to a gameplan, got rid of any distractions (st0rm) and got straight to it.

I know what i can do, i know what i cant do, and sometimes your stronger for giving up positions rather than delaying the obvious and have someone else gain on you and in the end lose 2 places because you were too stuborn to conceed one and get back to putting in clean laps.

Thats part of the reason i often wonder why people insist on clinging onto something they simply cant manage. Infact this goes beyond LFS, i've seen crap F1 drivers at the late end of the grid (14-20th) defending their position against top drivers who've started at the back for whatever reason and ive often wondered do they honestly think in 30+ laps time they're still going to have that same Ferrari/Renault/Mclaren behind them!?

Apparently my approach is defeatist, i'd call it knowing what your capable of and being stronger for it.
Now now now boys, come on. Its just a game. Yup it is getting frustating sometimes. I had that thing last night. Omg that rolling is a craft i have well managed by now. I am gonna take Jakg up for a rollmeister challenge .

No seriously, its a game we all want too win. We just need to find the balance between Celtic and Paul standings, I think then you have the best off both worlds. I like both ways.

Just remember its a game. No one gets seriously hurt by it.

Now howabout a little rumbling with UFR babys guys ??
Dunno if ZWR server is up or is ggoing too. But if not i will set up the HR server for a little rumbling with these addicting babys.

Oyeah I am getting a addict with this 1.
#32 - Dru
ZWR server is set for Masters of Endurance Team Practice this evening......

...so fire up the HR server and then we'll all come on there
Oeeeehhhhhh Maters of Endurance.

Oke i fire up HR server for some BABY R fun.
No worries Niels as I totally agree with Paul on his last post as my experience in Bott will testify sometimes it is best just to hang back driving just within your comfort zone especially in longer races and for the most part last night I was racing within my limit, hence the fact out of 13 races I finished last night, I was on the Podium 12 times and I believe I DNF'd a total of 3 times last night that do not show on LFS world.

So consistancy is the key as always, but this should not mean you can have a bit of fun in the process by partaking in a few dices with your fellow racers and yes from time to time there is going to be one or two instances where mistakes are made and when they do occour I am sorry as it breaks the immense fun to be had for all parties concerned like the other instance when I got a little too close to Paul coming out of the last at aston only to have our bumpers momentarily hook up and spin Paul out, luckily enough we were so far ahead I was able to let Paul recover and we still finished 1 - 2

BTW I'm not that nieve to realise that on most tracks atm I'm half a second or so slower than you Mercury guys but that does not mean I'm going to let you have it easy

So to the future and more of the same cause these Baby-R's are great.
I agree with you Mr Chapman!
I don't agree. I joined this league to race and that's what these cars are good at. I have no intention of sitting in a long orderly que of cars. I will fight cleanly for every place but I won't give up a place without a scrap either. That's my stategy and I'm sticking to it ... and all perfectly legal btw.
#37 - Dru
Quote from Swiss_Tony :I don't agree. I joined this league to race and that's what these cars are good at. I have no intention of sitting in a long orderly que of cars. I will fight cleaning for every place but I won't give up a place without a scrap either. That's my stategy and I'm sticking to it ... and all perfectly legal btw.

+1 Teamie
LOL Dru
Like you needed to tell us that :P

Swiss, it doesnt have to be orderly queueing, just a case of knowing that when you go to make the move its the right decision. Obviously nobody goes into something thinking they're gonna cause a big crash and carries on regardless, but its more a case of picking your moment to make a move more than anything, and equally so knowing when to give up a position. Im not suggesting everyone should move over the instant someone faster is behind you, if you know you can hold it then by all means fight for it, but sometimes people must get the feeling they're fighting a battle they cant win, this is LFS, not 300

Im certainly not against 'aggresive' driving either, as long as respect is given then its fine, but the biggest problem with it is that its only good and safe when the other person knows what to expect, otherwise it all goes to pot and thats where the accidents come from.

Its just something that often puzzles me, and as i mentioned, it applys to F1 drivers so its hardly like im saying anyone is in the wrong, purely something ive observed and i think mainly due to the *ever so slight* difference of ability of F1 vs LFS folk its the reason it often ends i tears when a more conservative approach may have seen you lose a place, maybe you can win it back, maybe they make a mistake later on, or maybe they dont and you have to settle for 1 place less, but then races arent won on 1 instance alone, but they certainly can be ended that way.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG