The online racing simulator
Css
(7 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
Css
Could anyone give me some advice on CSS I have been reading the CSS tut on w3schools but It isn't making no sence as I would like a tut what takes you through writing the code so you can pick up on it and know what the certain part of the code does, so anyone who could give me some advice and some links to some good tuts and video tuts would be great.

Sam.
CSS is easy. Link to a stylesheet in your HTML file, set a class for some DIV, SPAN, or A tags, or whatever it is you want to change, and add the style options into the CSS file. It's really quite simple, certainly cleaner than the traditional method.

It could be worth checking out some example source, as well as tutorials, since tutorials are often lacking when it comes to examples. A live website will have plenty. You could always check the source for my vehicle analyser website, that one is probably the simplest I've done so could be an easy starting point.
#3 - sam93
Quote from Bob Smith :CSS is easy. Link to a stylesheet in your HTML file, set a class for some DIV, SPAN, or A tags, or whatever it is you want to change, and add the style options into the CSS file. It's really quite simple, certainly cleaner than the traditional method.

It could be worth checking out some example source, as well as tutorials, since tutorials are often lacking when it comes to examples. A live website will have plenty. You could always check the source for my vehicle analyser website, that one is probably the simplest I've done so could be an easy starting point.

I know its alot more simple then the old table method and very simple to write but the amount of linking done can get abit boring I haven't even wrote abit of code for CSS yet though just been reading bits about CSS and taking it in I will try to find some decent videos on css coding, I have downloaded a template what has a CSS file in it to see what the code should look like and what needs to be writen.
Yes, CSS or styles in general can be a godsend for doing websites. Though if you want to write something compatible for both proper browsers and IE, you're almost guaranteed to have a comment like "<!-- Hack #42 to circumvent/fix/avoid dodgy IE behaviour -->" in your code sooner or later. Want to apply a style to every third cell in a table row that has the classname X? Works fine in FF, doesn't in IE

Also use divs. Lots of divs. Infact, to gain the respect of web designers, use them as they were tables. Create a div for every table cell. They say tables are bad, so replace them with divs and you'll be a hero amongst their kind.
(And by do this, I mean don't.)
#5 - sam93
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, CSS or styles in general can be a godsend for doing websites. Though if you want to write something compatible for both proper browsers and IE, you're almost guaranteed to have a comment like "<!-- Hack #42 to circumvent/fix/avoid dodgy IE behaviour -->" in your code sooner or later. Want to apply a style to every third cell in a table row that has the classname X? Works fine in FF, doesn't in IE

Also use divs. Lots of divs. Infact, to gain the respect of web designers, use them as they were tables. Create a div for every table cell. They say tables are bad, so replace them with divs and you'll be a hero amongst their kind.
(And by do this, I mean don't.)

lol, I am not that good at coding well i only know the basics at coding as I am only 14 nearly 15, but soon well in about 2 years i will be in college so i will be able to learn then properly how to code. I just want to do it at the moment as a hobby. Well I will have a look around some CSS Code and see if i can get my head around how css code works.

Sam.
#6 - Stuff
Hmm.. my advice for CSS beginners is to use Firefox with the Firebug extension. With that you can inspect elements and see how CSS works by toggling options on/off, adjusting values and add/delete style rules. The closest way to do this in IE, that I know of, is its Web Developer Toolbar but not near as easy as Firebug.
Quote from Stuff :Hmm.. my advice for CSS beginners is to use Firefox with the Firebug extension. With that you can inspect elements and see how CSS works by toggling options on/off, adjusting values and add/delete style rules. The closest way to do this in IE, that I know of, is its Web Developer Toolbar but not near as easy as Firebug.

Good shout, the firebug extension really is useful sometimes when coding.

What I will say is follow the standards carefully so that you don't pick up bad habits which will be a problem further down the line.

Css
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG