The online racing simulator
bob
Attached images
bobajob.jpg
I liked Le Mans a lot back on the Dreamcast.

aha, edit:

Quote from wikipedia :Two years later, Infogrames, who incidentally absorbed Ocean, a French video game publisher, released Le Mans 24 Hours for PlayStation and PC. The game was developed by UK company Eutechnyx. In the US the game was released under the name Test Drive: Le Mans.

In the following year the same software house released Le Mans 24 Hours on the Sega Dreamcast. This version of the game was originally planned to be a port from the PlayStation, but was eventually developed from scratch by Australian company Melbourne House which had recently been purchased by Infogrames. As with the previous PlayStation version, the Sega Dreamcast game was released in the US under their Test Drive brand as Test Drive: Le Mans. Following the release of the Dreamcast version of Le Mans 24 Hours, Infogrames and Melbourne House developed and released a port of the Sega Dreamcast game on the PlayStation 2 in 2001. Then on August 13, 2001 Le Mans 24 Hours was released on the Playstation 2.

Congrats Bob. Pity that carshock has closed down opposite your office, otherwise you could have gone and bought yourself a dodgy* motor with your first paycheque in your lunch break.

[size]* Allegedly[/size]
Quote from al heeley :bob

Well done Bob!

I too was ecstatic about getting a good job, just look forward to being like the picture in Al's post!

I haven't played LFS properly in about 6 months! I just lurk LFS forums for my LFS fix!
Cheers all. Off to the pub.
Nice one Bob
Congrats Ben!

Make sure to get heaps of chocolate or other anti-frustration drugs to keep yourself from pulling your hair out when you have to simplify your vehicle physics again, and again, and again until nothing more than a driving-aid-masked pile of pseudo physics remains.

Nah, just kidding
Or maybe not?
The PlayStation version of LM24 is rather good fun IMO ...

Congrats Ben
We'll still love you if you pump out an Arcadeish racer, just try and make sure there's a "Dustin always wins" clause in it
Actually from the chat I had, most of their physics seems to try to be fairly realistic, there's just a bit of fudging to the tyre data and loads of intrepetation of analogue gamepad controllers that is essentially a massive driving aid, thus the games end up easier to drive with a gamepad than a wheel. For example, the force feedback induced automatic countersteer happens if you just let go of the pad, rather than having the wheel locked straight. Loads of interesting stuff I've picked up already and I don't start for 10 days or so.

Now I'm going to sleep off beer and try and get some of the high frequencies back in my hearing. Oh how I hate places that deafen you with music. And meagre dance/pop at that. Ahh, Nightwish to the rescue....

/conscious
Quote from Bob Smith :Now I'm going to sleep off beer and try and get some of the high frequencies back in my hearing. Oh how I hate places that deafen you with music. And meagre dance/pop at that. Ahh, Nightwish to the rescue....

If you don't mind me asking, where the hell did you go?
Quote from STROBE :If you don't mind me asking, where the hell did you go?

Stalker alert, Stalker alert
Nice one Bob,

The gaming industry still thinks realism is bad, partly because of their mis interpretation of realism (tire curves that plumet; Test Drive Unlimited would actually be ok in ''hardcore'' mode otherwise).. Perhaps you can help make things drivable and sort of realistic as well..

Don't you think you'll be torn up between your desire for realism and the boss's desire to sell a quick arcade job?
Quote from Bob Smith :Actually from the chat I had, most of their physics seems to try to be fairly realistic, there's just a bit of fudging to the tyre data and loads of intrepetation of analogue gamepad controllers that is essentially a massive driving aid, thus the games end up easier to drive with a gamepad than a wheel. For example, the force feedback induced automatic countersteer happens if you just let go of the pad, rather than having the wheel locked straight. Loads of interesting stuff I've picked up already and I don't start for 10 days or so.

Now I'm going to sleep off beer and try and get some of the high frequencies back in my hearing. Oh how I hate places that deafen you with music. And meagre dance/pop at that. Ahh, Nightwish to the rescue....

/conscious

Sounds like a typical night out in England. There aren't any really good clubs to go to which play the music at a reasonable level and its actually music that has some taste.
Grats Bob, nice work.

I can't say I knew the company name, but I have heard of most of their back catalogue so they must have something right.

Good luck with it, and if you let them release something with completely horrible arcade handling, expect a load of burning bananas in your direction
Congratulations - now get them to fix that firefox issue with their website. :P
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Don't you think you'll be torn up between your desire for realism and the boss's desire to sell a quick arcade job?

Depends on the game I suppose. If it's something like that cartoon racer they did, then the aim isn't realism anyway and there's no conflict there. If it's one of their semi-sims, then so long as it isn't too CPU intensive and is still driveable on a gamepad (mostly console market) then there should be a fair degree of freedom and room for improvement. Fixing slip angle curves should actually make it easier to drive, so I can't see there being a problem with that, once I can convince my boss anyway. They have had data from tyre manufacturers but apprantely it's not complete enough to be that useful as so much has to be guessed.

Quote from Madman_CZ :Sounds like a typical night out in England. There aren't any really good clubs to go to which play the music at a reasonable level and its actually music that has some taste.

Heh, I only went to bars and my ears still ache (not my choice of venues, sadly). And I was home before midnight! We really are leading the forefront of a new generation of grumpy old youths.
Congrats on the job, Bob. That's a dream for many of us PC racers who work in IT.

Now you have to push them to make a decent dirt oval game. Just tell them it's like drifting, only more manly.
Strangely (and oddly sort of on-topic too) it's always been one of my ambitions to make game music ever since I heard the Joe Satriani tracks for the original F1 on the PS1
But then I'm more of a musician/gamer than I am a geek/gamer, so I guess I don't really count
Grats Ben! So your paying for the next LFS meet right? =P
Congrats Ben :up: You certainly deserve it!
Congratulations BenBob You deserve it
Thanks to everyone who has offered their congratulations.

Quote from Viper93 :So your paying for the next LFS meet right? =P

The salary is actually quite poor, but given my experience I can't argue. I would be happy to organise another meet though, hopefully with less polls next time around. Actually I did contact a karting company about renting them out for the day but they never got back to me. It's the wrong time of year to start planning something now, perhaps in the new year I'll look into it again for next spring.
#50 - SamH
Yowzer, I just caught up with this thread! Well done Ben! Does this make LFS the racing game developer's sim of choice??

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG