Better overall Sound plz. :)
(32 posts, started )
I love LFS. <3

But seriously...

I would like better engines sound. They feel a little thin and tinny to me still.

The steering shake like in GTR2 is nice as well. Adds to the basey low growl sound of the engine when you start er up!

C.
The sound could be better, I agree, though it's already much better than what we had for a very long time before.

But
Quote from cvearl :The steering shake like in GTR2 is nice as well.

:bananadea
Might want to check the balance of your engine if the wheel in your real car shakes like that.
There nothing wrong with the current sounds imo.
Quote from Forbin :Might want to check the balance of your engine if the wheel in your real car shakes like that.

Or at least why it's connected to the steering linkage & causing torques on the colummn

Real wheels shake a lot, esp in a race car, but not side to side.
I'd rather have informative sounds than dead nice sounds.
I'd rather have nice, AND informative sounds
#8 - Jakg
I'd rather have a Unicorn.
Quote from Jakg :I'd rather have a Unicorn.

AND good sounds, I suppose? (in the end, that is)
^Can I buy some pot from you Jakg? As for the sounds, they are already much better then they were before Patch V2, but still pretty plain. Iirc the sound engine is fairly primative ATM.
~Bryan~
If S2 is finalising soon, then I hope there are a few more sound improvements going in to make the aural experience a bit more immersive and convincing. I wouldn't mind a whole big patch dedicated just to sound- engines still don't really sound like engines, and i'd like to hear the car possibly creaking and groaning/stuff shaking around in the cockpit as it twists and bends into corners etc. A little rattle sound triggering as the car hits the bumps might be a nice touch.
I've got some pretty tweaked out informative sounds for the car's I drive, I should put some work into the other cars and perhaps make some kind of a pack, I agree about the sounds are better now than what they used to be.

LOL2&FRO.
Most of the sounds I have are pretty cool. I like most of Kaynd's sets, and I'm sure there's one or two of S0ul's I use as well. I'm pretty sure they came from a pack I downloaded from these forums.

If you're looking for fart cannon / potato gun exhaust sounds, there are a load of them for the XRT. Can't be that hard to rename them and use them for all cars.
Lol what you people meaning with informative sounds?

Lmao, is it a talking engine?

"I`m all fine, please shift gear now"
"FU! Flatshifting I hate you!"

"Lol", "Lmao"

Informative sounds are sounds that relay information about the status of the component that creates the sound. For example the engine note and volume can give you a good hint about the engine load and if it is time to shift. Or the gear whine can tell you if and how much the transmission is loaded. The tyre screech sounds tell you how much of the available grip you are using. Etc...

However for this to work you have to dynamically create the sounds taking the component's status into account, or at least use a rather sophisticated sound mixing system.
Quote from AndroidXP :"Lol", "Lmao"

Informative sounds are sounds that relay information about the status of the component that creates the sound. For example the engine note and volume can give you a good hint about the engine load and if it is time to shift. Or the gear whine can tell you if and how much the transmission is loaded. The tyre screech sounds tell you how much of the available grip you are using. Etc...

However for this to work you have to dynamically create the sounds taking the component's status into account, or at least use a rather sophisticated sound mixing system.

Ahh ¨

Thanks for helping us n00bs
The engine sounds are rather ok, but what we really need is proper exhaust sound simulation. Because, in the end, most of the sound you hear comes trough the exhaust. In LFS, the exhaust is more like a straight pipe than a tuba and it sounds very very thin. I actually doubt there is any exhaust actually. :P It's possible to make sounds with grunt at the moment too, but the problem is the awful clipping you will have.

And for crying out loud, the BF1! Can't drive that thing because the sound makes me nuts!
i thought the exhaust sound is the only engine sound we have? the header MIX is considered to be the "engine sound" in this case i think? while trying to persuade it to co-operate with me i came to the conclusion that it's just like making your own instrument but fine tuning it with a quite a large hammer. it's weird really...when one slider goes from 1.00 to 3.00 one click (0.01) shouldn't make a big difference but it does. i just gave up decided to wait for further developments..i hope scawen releases some docs on what each slider actually does and a few lines on how it's best to manipulate the sound.
If adding tranny noise and the sound editor could do this big difference compared to the old sounds, possibilities in a incompatible patch are totally open and any new feature can only make it better. Only question is that when Scawen has time for the sounds again, since S2 release patch V-W was the first time he touched the sounds and it took 2 years...

What comes to the informative side of sounds, as long as you can do Formula 1 like fast shifting on all of the cars, you don't have to hear what the engine is doing that much

I'm sure DaveWS would like to work on the sounds little bit more if there was new features...
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=400347

The sounds are too scratchy. I've played games for 10+ years, most of it with headphones, have always liked them on the loud side, but LFS definitely is what pretty much single-handedly gave me a mild case of tinitis.. this in about 2 year's time.

The functionality of the sounds is great but the aesthetics are mediocre.
Quote from Breizh :The functionality of the sounds is great but the aesthetics are mediocre.

Exactly my words. The sounds are the reason why I mostly drive the LX6, because it's the only car that has some decent howl and growl in my headphones and I play LFS not to win, neither to beat WRs, but for the sheer enjoyment of the driving.

Furthermore, I want exhaust backfires, engine damage noises, cockpit noises etc. For now, the FZR sounds like a lawnmower to me :P
Quote from Blackout :And for crying out loud, the BF1! Can't drive that thing because the sound makes me nuts!

A bee on steroids

But I hope the devs are pretty well aware of the BF1 and FZR sound problem as it has already been posted many times.
Quote from Lotesdelere :A bee on steroids

:ices_rofl

But how would, or how could it sound better?
Deeper sound, tho very high? It actually reminds me pretty much of a F1 car.
It does sound like an F1-ish car, but driving the BF1 is like sitting on an overpowered drill with wheels In my opinion, the LFS cars need more grunt, they need to sound more agressive. When you put the pedal to the metal, it must be ear tearing and the engine must scream "Powaaaa!" (not literaly of course). That's why I drive the LX6 90% of the time. It's sound is just frightening.

I guess that the sounds are a very big downside of LFS right now. Although their functionality is very good and they give out lots of information, they simply don't feed my driving passion...and that passion is why I came to LFS.
Listen to the bf1 on rfactor.thats what an f1 car should sound like in a game

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG