Winamp / SHOUTcast / LFS issue
(20 posts, started )
Ok, I'll try and explain this as well as I can. I will simply show you what I do, to create this "crash".

Load Winamp
Play Track
Start SHOUTcast DSP sending data to SHOUTcast server
Load LFS
Join Server

- once I do all of these, I cannot close LFS / Winamp and generally causes the system extremly unreliable.
I find running LFS with winamp open results in ****ING HUGE CRASH symptoms.
?? sometimes it has a small hickup (lfs) when winamp loads a *.ape or fires the synthesizers for *.sid files but i cannot share your experience, not even beeing on a lan where the comp was strained much more overall...

regards
strange thing is - an old version of LFS does not cause the crash
SHOUTcast is generally a bandwidth eater anyways. Causes lag in my experiences with it, but then again, I haven't used it in like a year.
yes, shoutcast is a bandwidth eater but that really shouldnt make a pc crash. ive used shoutcast and lfs together often enough and never had any problems. imo must be something else. maybe old audio drivers or something like that?
Listen to the engine.
#8 - Gunn
Winamp has always been full of bugs and bloat. If it doesn't work well with your LFS it is doubtful that LFS is to blame. Have you tried an older version of Winamp?
Quote from Gunn :Winamp has always been full of bugs and bloat. If it doesn't work well with your LFS it is doubtful that LFS is to blame. Have you tried an older version of Winamp?

I really haven't seen any bad bugs for the 7+ years I've been using it. If you are into skins, you will notice weird behavior with the player, but nothing related to its audio playback. I've always used the classic version anyways.

Krammeh, I haven't noticed any problem running winamp and/or shoutcast while playing LFS or any other intensive game. Never install any plugins (like audio effects or whatever) for the player if you have those. Also check to make sure the priority levels of Winamp and/or LFS are set to normal.

It could all come down to a problem with your system or soundcard .
Quote from Gunn :Winamp has always been full of bugs and bloat.

Umm are we talking about Winamp, or Windows Media Player? Winamp has never been full of bloatware, I've used it for the last decade and I can say that it has never crashed my system. In fact the entire reason I use it is because it is so compact and is not a big drain on my system. Although I've never used Shoutcast...so I can't comment on that.
#11 - Gunn
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Umm are we talking about Winamp, or Windows Media Player? Winamp has never been full of bloatware, I've used it for the last decade and I can say that it has never crashed my system. In fact the entire reason I use it is because it is so compact and is not a big drain on my system. Although I've never used Shoutcast...so I can't comment on that.

I said "bloat", not "bloatware". I've used it since it appeared, and I still think it has always been bug-ridden crap. However, I appreciate you're opinion.

+, if you try an older version of Winamp and it still crashes, you can confidently rule Winamp out of the equation.
maybe problem of PC specs?
He already tried with an older LFS version an worked fine, maybe it's LFS
Can it in his case be a port problem?
Like WinAmp/Shoutcast and LFS are connected to their server, maybe on the same ports, LFS receiving Shoutcast data, crash
Quote from ACCAkut :Can it in his case be a port problem?
Like WinAmp/Shoutcast and LFS are connected to their server, maybe on the same ports, LFS receiving Shoutcast data, crash

The OS should protect the ports from being used twice by different applications, no matter if u listen on a port or sending data.

But the winamp dsp plugin for shoutcast streaming does a reencoding of the audio data to keep at a defined bandwith. This will eat up some of ur cpu power.
im using winamp for many years,and about 3 years with lfs,never had a problem with it
First thing I would try to fix this:
In Winamp - Options menu - Click Preferences
Select General Preferences
Set Priority Class to Normal

What might happen is that LFS and Winamp would try to fight for bandwith. With this setup, I think you give priority to LFS, avoiding confusion.

Good luck!
It doesn't "crash" while trying to use it.

It only crashes, once trying to close one or the other down.

The system is still usable, but certain things will not open.

I cannot even end-task winamp OR LFS, regardless (not even via process list), meaning cannot "shut down" the system.
I haven't had any crashes either. With streaming from shoutcast or just from playlist. I got no problem with next/previous/load playlist etc. commands with winamp under lfs. The problem is not in winamp, its something else.

EDIT: Maybe use global hotkeys or whatever they are called. No reason to close winamp if you want music to stop.
ok, look at it this way.

someone wants to play LFS, but also stream to their shoutcast server (shoutcast server on another machine).

- Loads up winamp, begins to stream
- Loads up LFS
- Plays LFS for an hour
- Tries to close LFS
CRASH - computer not able to SHUT DOWN!
Quote from Tweaker :I really haven't seen any bad bugs for the 7+ years I've been using it. If you are into skins, you will notice weird behavior with the player, but nothing related to its audio playback. I've always used the classic version anyways.

Krammeh, I haven't noticed any problem running winamp and/or shoutcast while playing LFS or any other intensive game. Never install any plugins (like audio effects or whatever) for the player if you have those. Also check to make sure the priority levels of Winamp and/or LFS are set to normal.

It could all come down to a problem with your system or soundcard .

Yeah... that. I had upgraded to a new version of winamp and it started to have all all sorts of problems when playing LFS. I put it in classic mode and it seems to do OK. I used to use Windows Media player, but after version 10(?), all I got was problems from it and
switched to winamp

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG