The online racing simulator
FIA: Don't get near Lewis, he is our winner--eh, ahem, current leader...
Oh ffs will you all stfu, only because hamilton has made this type of impact in f1 for only his first year in f1 he is now the FIA new golden boy .

Wasn't schumacher the FIA's golden boy for so many years when he took the piss out of everyone when he was still was racing, but now hamilton has come along and about to win the championship he is an **** now having 1 stupid mistake? now don't even get me started on about what schumacher has done in the past when he was still was in f1.
Quote from rc10racer :
Wasn't schumacher the FIA's golden boy for so many years when in took the piss out of everyone when is stilled race but now hamilton has come along and about to win the championship he is an **** now having 1 stupid mistake?

ehh... grammar?
i'm glad they did at least something right by retracting vettel's penalty, but everything else about the race is still a joke that just keeps getting worse.

the race report might as well read like this:

Q: "what's pink and red and travels 300 km/h?"

A: "a baby dragged behind lewis hamilton's F1 car"
Well, Hamilton has a point (although he goes on to cry how bad he's being treated with this), it's the rule in racing as well as on public roads: you might take other cars behind you into consideration (like Hamilton moved off the ideal line), but you can't look after those behind you, they have to think/act themselves...

Vettel's penalty seemed way too harsh for me, and it's now being dropped... A good decision imo...
Quote from bbman :Well, Hamilton has a point (although he goes on to cry how bad he's being treated with this), it's the rule in racing as well as on public roads: you might take other cars behind you into consideration (like Hamilton moved off the ideal line), but you can't look after those behind you, they have to think/act themselves...

The way I think it... On public roads you are always responsible if you rear-end someone. But doing a stupid maneuver (ie. slam on the breaks in the middle of a straight road) especially in bad conditions is also illegal and results a penalty.

It's even in FIA safety car rules..
"40.7 Any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically...... "
Quote from frokki :The way I think it... On public roads you are always responsible if you rear-end someone. But doing a stupid maneuver (ie. slam on the breaks in the middle of a straight road) especially in bad conditions is also illegal and results a penalty.

Only if the person smashes into you, isn't it? If you'd tell the police/judge you rearended someone because you got distracted by another car slamming into the brakes on the next lane they'd laugh you in the face...
Quote from bbman :Only if the person smashes into you, isn't it? If you'd tell the police/judge you rearended someone because you got distracted by another car slamming into the brakes on the next lane they'd laugh you in the face...

Exactly. Would you blame a three-car pile-up on a woman who was walking past in a short skirt?

Vettel fell asleep, end of story.
I think the penalties are in danger of getting in way of the racing in F1, so I think the decision here for Lewis and Vettel was actually a rare sensible outcome.

OK, Lewis didn't get a time or point penalty, but everyone's assuming that means the Stewards/FIA thought Hamilton's driving was completely fine. Maybe they decided, as he's pretty much kept his nose clean so far this year, that a private warning might be sufficient. Maybe they thought it was totally fine or borderline/no worse than previously allowed.

Did I think his speed variation was excessive? Slightly, yes. Did I think it warranted more than a 'calm it down' warning? No. I generally think the penalties in F1 are inconsistent, but I wouldn't have wanted Lewis penalised just for the sake of being consistent with other stupid penalties. I also wouldn't want a penalty just to ensure a closer title battle for the last two races.

The only rule it is possible we have video footage to prove Lewis broke is the five car lengths rule, but this is almost an unmeasurable generality of a rule anyway. Do you mount camera equipment in the exact same location as the spectator was positioned, go out to the track and take measurements to ensure it was never more than 5 cars?

If random spectator footage can be used to prove that any driver broke this rule at any point during a SC period (or any other rule for that matter), and action be taken retroactively, we'd have teams wasting time trawling through all the video footage they could get their hands on. If it went too far, you'd have a team like McLaren employ dozens of camera men to ensure they captured every second of Ferrari's race to ensure they were never outside the rules for the entire race. In fact they'd probably video Ferrari's employees every step in the pit garages too.
Quote from rc10racer :Wasn't schumacher the FIA's golden boy for so many years when he took the piss out of everyone when he was still was racing, but now hamilton has come along and about to win the championship he is an **** now having 1 stupid mistake?

Obviously you have big nice British flag next your nickname but it's not only about this one mistake. Although Hamilton has been lately a hypocrite and full of himself, it's not that people are against Hamilton as person/driver, it's about FIA favouring him and one driver on the field having different rules than the rest of the drivers.

I never was a fan of Schumacher but I think he never was a golden boy, usually when he did something nasty he also got punished. Actually FIA never favoured Ferrari either, and it doesn't currently favour McLaren on purpose just because it is McLaren, it favours THE MONEY™. Currently McLaren with a British driver attracts more money.

Quote from deggis :I never was a fan of Schumacher but I think he never was a golden boy, usually when he did something nasty he also got punished.

Not in '94 he didn't, his debut championship win. Some people might talk about Hamilton saying he disadvantaged Alonso in Hungary and drove unfairly behind a safety car in Fuji, but he hasn't knocked anybody off the track in order to take the title - something Senna, Prost and Schumacher all did.

Watch him go and take Alonso out on Sunday now...
I sure do hope FIA clearify the rules about behaviour behind the SC. What Hamilton did was dangeorus (but permitted), I beleve I remember Mansell doing a similar stunt in GP Masters.
They should just ban weaving and heavy braking/accelerating when behind the safety car. It would make it safer, and also make it very interesting with cold tyres after the SC comes in. While talking about that, they need to stop people cutting across the track straight away from the starts. While Hamilton always leaves room unlike Schumacher used to, I still think its a bit dodgy.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :They should just ban weaving and heavy braking/accelerating when behind the safety car. It would make it safer, and also make it very interesting with cold tyres after the SC comes in. While talking about that, they need to stop people cutting across the track straight away from the starts. While Hamilton always leaves room unlike Schumacher used to, I still think its a bit dodgy.

LOL @ fanboy

(extra bonus for the "Schumuie was also dirty"-defence)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG