The online racing simulator

Poll : in post

yes it is a good idea
no it is not a good idea
not sure
yellow and blue flags
what do you think about having no yellow flags counted if you are under a waved blue flag cos it gets annoying if you slow off line to let faster racers through when you mid race join and get you yellow flag ratio raised becaus eyou are letting them through and doing what is asked of you. this isnt a rant as such just an improvement suggestion. that poll question is really, do you think it is a good ide to have yellow flags not counted if you are under waived blue flag?

alos this is just an opinin thread not a flame thread thanks

thanks

james
Why would you get a yellow flag letting people lap you.

Unless you stop or go REALLY slowly, but I doubt anyone is that STUPID to do it. Are they?
well if there is a big group you have to or else youde be back on line in the middle of the pack causing havoc so you have to really slow down or stop off line to let them by
Or just drive normally, stick to your lines, and let them pass you. Better for you, better for them.

If they complain, send them over here and I'll make them look stupider!
not really cos when youve just come out the pits you will hold them up and creat havoc for the huge pack
Ah.

How about staying in the pits until the track is clear, or just waiting for the next race?
that is one option
#8 - Bean0
If you're mid race joining, use the map and pick when to join so that you are not going to be overwhelmed by the leading pack within a couple of corners.

If the lapping is actually 'proper', then it is part of racing. The lappee should race their normal line, maybe move over on a straight and come off the throttle a bit, but it is up to the lapper to put a pass on them.
If you join in front of a pack of racing cars, and get blue flagged, and then yellow flagged as you 'get out of the way by stopping, and making everyone unsure about what you are going to do', then you deserve the yellow flag penalty. Entirely deserved.

Simple solution - don't cause the fecking problem in the first place.
tristan that is a bit unfair really, youve never been in the situation so
I have - many a time I've joined a server, left the pits without looking, and found myself just yards in front of a battling group.

What do I do? I either pull away (yeah baby), or drive in such a way that they can all pass me cleanly, safely and without distruption, by staying on the racing line, and paying attention. No weaving. No braking early. No going offline. No running wide (unless they are overtaking on the inside). Don't lift on the straights either, in case one of them is about to try and get in your slipstream.

It's ALL about staying predictable.

Stopping, either on or off the circuit, is just WRONG. How many times have you seen someone stopped by the side of the road and wondered what they are about to do. Pull back on? Wreck you? By stopping you become MORE of a problem than you would otherwise have been.
it depends because you cant heep offline with a whole group of people in a line with going slow
lets leave this now, mod please delete
Quote from james12s :it depends because you cant heep offline with a whole group of people in a line with going slow

I don't understand this post.

Okay, we'll leave it. This thread won't get deleted though.
Agh, I was just getting warmed up for a good old waffle about this but I suppose I'll have to leave it now
ok i had a moment, i see what your saying, i only had a little bit of sleep last night so i went a bit do laly
James, you have shift selector fork issues in your brain? Your posts are not the easiest to understand. Just an obsorvation =)

:edit: Just a gentle ribbing James, don't take it personal =)

I want people to bring things forward and I am sure the other CTRA admins do aswell so this will not be deleted. But I am not really sure what your asking about though. If you are causing yellows in LFS your a hazzard, no matter you midrace joining or not. Yellows are for everyone, not just the people that started the race.

Tristan is right, hold your lines, stay predictable, and get off the racing line as fast as safely possible without letting off too much, otherwise you become a hazzard aswell as a backmarker.
yeah i really was out of it when i was mainy talking bout this and yes tristan i right
Is the yellow flag really a penalty? It's just and indicator something happened. I know ctra stores how many you get, but it's kind of a useless numbers since the yellows are buggy anyway, they get thrown when I bump a kerb, or sometimes what appears to be nothing!
It's useless in a real world sense but it certainly has a meaning when compared to other drivers who drive in the same conditions. The LFS yellow flag is certainly more keen than real world flags - and has less effect on other racers as a result - but I think most agree that it does give a reasonable indicator of a drivers overall standard when comparing one CTRA licence to another.
Quote from Becky Rose :...I think most agree that it does give a reasonable indicator of a drivers overall standard ...

Reasonable is the operative word, as I think it does have it's limitations.

For one I think it is much easier to keep a low yellow flag average if you are always at the head of the pack rather than a middle pack racer where your much more likely to inavertantly get mixed up in incidents
I don't mind the yellow flags when you're slowing down to let others pass because, like has been said, if you do it properly you shouldn't throw a yellow. But I do so very much hate it that you cause a yellow flag when you're avoiding a crash in front of you. The last 3 or 4 races I did on SS1 this evening had a number of incidents in it - mainly during the first lap - where people spun and crashed in front of me, sending cars everywhere. Naturally I brake and try to stay clear of it - not always successfully - but in doing so you throw a yellow every time. It's a bit frustrating when you're trying your best to get your ratio down I know this can't be helped and that's just the way the system works, but for every yellow I throw I have to do x number of laps without yellow to even it out

Also, something completely different I noticed just now. During the last race I checked my retirement ratio: 15% . After I finished that race I went to spectate, checked my stats again and it said 16%, although I had finished that last race. Is it possible that I pressed shift+S too soon and the system hadn't yet registered me crossing the finishline?
Beck I agree it's not perfect and somewhat of an indicator but I also relate to the last few posts.

I always start in the back because I'm not that fast yet, or worse yet, not quite in the back.

So I probably do trigger yellows (if yellows are triggered even if one is already waving? Not sure about that). About now my strategy is to actually try to go the the back to avoid the turn 1 crash that always happens.

If you wanted to get tricky about it, you could weigh yellows with starting position.

All nitpicks, as long as I don't get banned for what I'll call the overreacting-yellows. I seem to trigger them quite a lot.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG