The online racing simulator
Mouse/keyboard/wheel/gamepad
(15 posts, started )
Hello people!

Just one question: I realized after some time that I'm at a dis-advantage (along with alot of others im sure) in the case that I use touchpad+keyboard and lack analog (is that the word) gas and brake peddles. So I got a little curious and decided to ask you guys if there is some sort of official or un-official reccord with the turbo on bl1 with mouse, keyboard, wheel, or gamepad. And is there anything I should know that others without my little problem wouldn't need to worry about? My best time so far is 1:27.89.
#2 - Jakg
The WR is held by a mouser who set a 1:23.040

You can see the hotlap charts here, and here is the charts for mouse users (or more precisely - the same chart with the filter set to mouse)
#3 - ORION
Mouse is not faster though - there are just many demo users that have very much practise and very advanced setups, and almost nobody who has S2 drives Blackwood in the old demo cars
Besides being faster, wheel is way more fun also, and thats what its all about, isnt it?
depends...if you want a fast laptime..go for a Mouse...gamepads suck, dont get one of those unless you want to drift...and if you want realism go for a force feedback wheel, if you're a beginnier try the dfp or sometthing, or sidewinder, then once you get the hang of it and you like it, waste your money of a G25 (joking about the waste)

but really, it depends what you're better at...
#5 - garph
It's all about how much cash you have.

I know a few fast people who use a game pad with analogue sticks, I just got a DFP but before that I had a yellow wingman with no FFB which was a great deal from eBay for £5, plus P&P, that has severed me well for years, until Tuesday when I bit the bullet and spend £70 on a DFP.

I think most people would say get a DFP but you haven't brought S2 so I'd go for a cheaper wheel, one of my team mates had an R440 until he got a DFP, he said it's an excellent starter wheel with FFB.
Thanks for all the replies guys! now I have another question: I remember a long time ago when I got lfs there was some way to make the mouse Y axis and X axis preform different functions, (such as accelerating and braking) was this removed in a later patch or is it still there? and if it IS still there, how do you get to it? (I can't find it anywhere!)
It is still there. In Options click the Controls button. Then at the top click 'wheel/js' button. Change Throttle/brake axes to 'combined.' In the middle of the screen click Axes/FF button. Click 'Steer' button and select MouseX under Available Axes. Click 'Thr/Brk Combined' button and choose MouseY under Available Axes.

A problem with this, is LFS will put the 'W' next to your name in multiplayer thinking you are using a wheel. But there is currently nothing to do about this yet.
Awsome! thanks alot! I'm not planning to race with it but I might play around with it for a while... Does anyone race with this combo?
Mouse is easy to start with... Since I don't have a touchpad, I use mouse with keyboard. Very conventional of playing. My PB time on XRT is about like 1:27:15

Btw that's a good idea for me NetDemon01! I played Racer which uses this kind of control for mouse users...
when you play with the wheel do you have a clutch pedal aswell as the brake and accelerator?
Quote from champion_martin :when you play with the wheel do you have a clutch pedal aswell as the brake and accelerator?

only recently has there been more people with clutches since the release of the g25 wheel, but a lot of people are still stuck with their old wheel with just accelerator and brake, probably getting the most out of it but if any are like me they know that if they need to get a new wheel, it will be that logitech g25.
Is there any way to lower the sensitivity of the mouse ingame?

I don't have a wheel for now, so I have to play with a mouse, but it's too sensitive.
Quote from BullHorn :Is there any way to lower the sensitivity of the mouse ingame?

I don't have a wheel for now, so I have to play with a mouse, but it's too sensitive.

probably not very helpful, but increase the screen resolution you run LFS with if you can. in LFS going lock to lock with the steering wheel is the same as going from far left to far right in windows. making the resolution higher will mean the mouse has further to travel, hence reducing sensitivity..

if you cant make the res higher due to your monitor or frame rates... set windows to the same resolution you play LFS at, then adjust the mouse speed in windows control panel, testing how far you have to move it to go all the way left and all the way right on the screen.

set windows screen res back to whatever it was and launch LFS
Quote from BullHorn :Is there any way to lower the sensitivity of the mouse ingame?

Just lower your sensitivity in Windows mouse options. I have it set so it takes about 12" or 30cm from lock to lock. I can beat lots of people that use a wheel
whoa, that's massive!
mine is about 2" lock to lock
sensitive but really good when you get used to it

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG