The online racing simulator
An Inconvenient Truth
(87 posts, started )
sam dont you think theres a lot more money involved in companies that benefit from ignoring gw than in those benefiting from it ?
#52 - SamH
So because Shell and BP take a dump on Alaska, this fear/guilt exploitation is okay? How about no?
Quote from wheel4hummer :At least it didn't take me 2 months to reply. If you're going to insult me about a two month old post, I suggest that you use smileys too. And, to the rest of your post, quit bitching, he'll be gone in 08 anyway.

2 months? What? You posted that Jew "joke" today, in this thread. If that's not it, then what in the holy **** are you talking about?

I assume the "he'll be gone in 08" bit refers to George W Bush. Who the hell even mentioned him? FYI, Cartman: the abbreviation "GW", used previously in this thread, stands for Global Warming - i.e. THE TOPIC AT HAND - not George W, who hadn't even been mentioned when I posted. Try and understand what people write before you respond to it.

-----

Anyway, screw the brand new GW industry if you don't believe the hype. Who cares if you believe Al Gore? After his pussy act after election 2000 why should anyone give him any credit anyway? I try and save power and water and not waste too much because it's the right thing to do, not because Al Gore wants me to and not because it's suddenly become time to look after our only planet. I've always done it - you tend to learn conservative habits (& liberal ideas ) when you grow up relying on rainwater and a woodstove. It's common goddam sense not to use more than you need and not to shit in your own backyard - or someone else's, which is what the wealthiest of us have been doing for centuries.

So don't get caught up in the GW hype if you don't dig it, just try and be less wasteful and more concerned. I'm not even sure what my position is on GW or carbon-neutral schemes or whatever the hell else, but to me its glaringly obvious that we have filled the earth, sky and water with our garbage. To ignore it and carry on being fat spoilt wasteful bastards is criminally negligent of our only planet.
How come, with all these people against global warming, one of their leading advocates, Senator Inhofe, cannot even produce a serious argument. I suggest you guys watch this 15-minute clip. It's absolutely hilarious how he acts like a 3-year-old in trying to prove his point.

http://src.senate.gov/public/_ ... ision/inhofe_mar21_qa.ram

And this 5 minute one where he states tons of facts against Al Gore's video - but doesn't do anything to back up his statements.

http://src.senate.gov/public/_ ... elevision/inhofe_gore.ram

Personally, as long as the side against global warming continues to do such a markedly horrible job of supporting their claims than the pro side, there is no way I'm going to even consider them to be a valid argument.
One thing that everybody is forgetting..
If the governments were to turn around and admit that the effect that man has on global warming is comparatively insignificant when the whole view is looked at, then they wouldn't be able to tax us on every thing.
There is NO conspiracy, just a load of greedy politicians that use the slightest excuse to tax us poor downtrodden masses even more!
Quote from Hankstar :

Anyway, screw the brand new GW industry if you don't believe the hype. Who cares if you believe Al Gore? After his pussy act after election 2000 why should anyone give him any credit anyway? I try and save power and water and not waste too much because it's the right thing to do, not because Al Gore wants me to and not because it's suddenly become time to look after our only planet. I've always done it - you tend to learn conservative habits (& liberal ideas ) when you grow up relying on rainwater and a woodstove. It's common goddam sense not to use more than you need and not to shit in your own backyard - or someone else's, which is what the wealthiest of us have been doing for centuries.

So don't get caught up in the GW hype if you don't dig it, just try and be less wasteful and more concerned. I'm not even sure what my position is on GW or carbon-neutral schemes or whatever the hell else, but to me its glaringly obvious that we have filled the earth, sky and water with our garbage. To ignore it and carry on being fat spoilt wasteful bastards is criminally negligent of our only planet.

I agree with most of this post. Even if there was no almost anything to do with global warming and resources were almost infinite, we should still try and conserve what we have and try to always be more efficient the next time we try to do something. Even if there was so much oil that gasoline was free on Tuesdays, we should still be trying to find something cheaper less polluting and easier to replace. ( I think that the remains from all those species we wiped out may have added a little to the oil supply, but not by much)

You know, I've been wondering... We took a whole lot of oil from places and through refining and whatever, redistributed this mass all over the planet. You think that could have a long term effect on the planet's orbit? Like if you was to take a gyroscope and yank a chunk out of it and spread it around what was left of the gyroscope, it wouldn't work right would it?
I don't know how much oil was sucked out of the ground in the last 100 years, but it's at least enough to fill up a bay or a small sea or something.
Quote from SamH :So because Shell and BP take a dump on Alaska, this fear/guilt exploitation is okay? How about no?

thats not waht i meant
the point was that the lingering idea that the fear/guilt industry is the motor behind gw is bs
#58 - SamH
Quote from Shotglass :thats not waht i meant
the point was that the lingering idea that the fear/guilt industry is the motor behind gw is bs

That would be a case of the tail wagging the dog, and for the most part I agree. Still, being an old cynic I'm always looking out for the con artist, and GW is a golden opportunity for those market forces. It's things *like* ibuyeco that undermine the momentum for people to clean up their act by introducing doubt, and giving people an excuse to dismiss the whole problem. But taxing farmers for their flatulent cows does exactly the same thing.
#59 - Gunn
It's about time the bloody cows were packed away for good anyway. We have to cut down a shitload of trees to create pasture for the cattle, then we have to feed them a tonne of grain to produce one kilo of beef and all they do is fart methane and say "moo" a lot!

Let's not even start on the use of antibiotics in livestock that inevitably lessen our chances of staving off viral and bacterial diseases or complications arising from infections.

The CSIRO put little tanks on their backs with tubes to their stomachs (the cow's stomachs, not the CSIRO researcher's) and experimented with farming methane directly from the cattle. As much as we'd all love to have one of those at home, I can't see it taking off on an agricultural scale.

The beef industry is a lot of bull if you ask me.
On the subject of cows, Kangaroo's have an almost identical diet but they dont fart. They have 5 or 6 extra enzyms in their gut and scientists are working on a way to introduce whichever enzym breaks down the methane into cows. So we'll all be eating geneitically modified cows some day, mind you, if anyones ever eaten a McDonalds burger they're already familiar with the taste of cow + extra bits so that is nothing new...

As for global warming, we know the Earth has 5 heat states, we're currently in the middle and most comfortable one, Humans can live in the middle 3 states. We're heading for a hotter state, the question is whether the Earth carries on and gets to its hottest state.

Why are there heat 'states' as opposed to a generally higher or lower average temperature? Well because when it gets hot enough the Earth basically terraforms, it changes dramatically and its quite sudden when it happens. When the Earth reaches a certain point it will enter a hotter and phase and we'll all be getting food aid from Africa along with a note saying "who's laughing now, white boy".

Can we do anything to stop or change this cycle? Ultimately no, the Earth is more powerful than us and our society prevents us from acting with the unification and single minded dedication to make it happen.

Will global warming be the biggest threat to future generations? No. Humans can live in hotter environments, I look out of my rain swept conservatory and think of Africa here.

In the future will some bastard assume dictatoral powers and press his subjects as slaves into wars and torture? You bet. We're human after all.

Did God create Humanity in his image? Depends how arrogant you are.

Is all carbon dating fundamentally flawed? Depends on if you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Any other questions? Or shall we just settle on 42.

Quote from Gunn :The CSIRO put little tanks on their backs with tubes to their stomachs (the cow's stomachs, not the CSIRO researcher's) and experimented with farming methane directly from the cattle.

Great! Equip the cow with 4 wheels, a saddle, a seat belt and ignition. That would solve several problems in one go. (Next step: a riced cow.)
#62 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :On the subject of cows, Kangaroo's have an almost identical diet but they dont fart. They have 5 or 6 extra enzyms in their gut and scientists are working on a way to introduce whichever enzym breaks down the methane into cows. So we'll all be eating geneitically modified cows some day, mind you, if anyones ever eaten a McDonalds burger they're already familiar with the taste of cow + extra bits so that is nothing new...

We've taken huge steps towards improvement over here. We're starting to eat the kangaroos.
Quote from Becky Rose :On the subject of cows, Kangaroo's have an almost identical diet but they dont fart.

Neither do cows actually, they belch the noxious gases. Believe it or not the animal that produce's the most amount of methane on the planet are infact.......Termites
#64 - wark
w/r/t cows: stop farming them. problem solved. :magnify: (eating them has the opposite effect, idjuts!)

Methane aside, a lot more people could be fed with the same land and money by only growing plants than by growing plants and feeding steers and feeding people steers.

it'd even be healthier... :shhh:
Quote :Believe it or not the animal that produce's the most amount of methane on the planet are infact.......Termites

You mean, even after Humanity has screwed the planet over with a nuclear war we're STILL going to get global warming? LOL. We're doomed.
Quote from wark :w/r/t cows: stop farming them. problem solved. :magnify: (eating them has the opposite effect, idjuts!)

Methane aside, a lot more people could be fed with the same land and money by only growing plants than by growing plants and feeding steers and feeding people steers.

it'd even be healthier... :shhh:

Maybe so, But a nice Porterhouse or Strip Steak... hell even Fajitas beats a tofu burger any day.
Quote from Somebody who I cant remember :If God had wanted to make Man a vegetarian, why did He make meat taste so good?

'nuff said?
Quote from Bladerunner :If God had wanted to make Man a vegetarian, why did He make meat taste so good?

According to those who experienced it, human flesh also tastes good*. Why would God have made it that way? Would He have intended us to ....

*: And in most cases that was even without cooking & seasoning.
#69 - wark
Quote from Bladerunner :'nuff said?

Does it really? When was the last time you enjoyed meat without any vegetables (sauce/seasoning) or salt or anything else to alter the flavour? Well, if it was recent, you're not very normal.

Perhaps a better question to ask would be: why don't you always prefer your meat unseasoned and by itself? Variety is the ____ (I'll give you a hint, it's not meat) of life--that's why.

Bottom line: meat is... rather bland. It can be made great, but so can vegetables...
Can't remember the exact biological explanation but, there's something about the human digestive system that can't fully digest meat (or properly digest meat). It's simply not 'designed' to.

Here's an interesting fact, if you eat rabbit and only rabbit everyday, you'll die within a week or so, but if you eat a few vegetables with it, you can eat rabbit every day for years and years. (again, can't remember the exact biological reasoning behind it, but it's a true fact).

"Mazz, the bloke with a head full of trivial shit, but can't send an email without helpdesk support" !
Quote from wark :Does it really? When was the last time you enjoyed meat without any vegetables (sauce/seasoning) or salt or anything else to alter the flavour? Well, if it was recent, you're not very normal.

I am definitely not normal...while I was in France I developed a liking for Steak Tartare...

.....WITHOUT any sauce/seasoning

I have also been known to send a 'blue' steak back (in a restuarant) because it was overcooked!
#72 - wark
Quote from wsinda :According to those who experienced it, human flesh also tastes good*. Why would God have made it that way? Would He have intended us to ....

*: And in most cases that was even without cooking & seasoning.

Shucks, so we taste good to animals?

I reckon those who have eaten human flesh without cooking or seasoning were pretty damn hungry at the time. You'd be surprised at what tastes good when you're starving (Grandpa's WWII POW memories come to mind).

As for the meat as meat, it's not that different from mammal to mammal. I had (recently deceased) a friend who had the experience of eating part of a girl served to him in a stew (Belgian Congo). He recalled the meat as being suspiciously tender, but not unlike something he would expect to be served. This just made it seem more barbarious to eat any flesh...
#73 - wark
Quote from Bladerunner :I am definitely not normal...while I was in France I developed a liking for Steak Tartare...

I have also been known to send a 'blue' steak back (in a restuarant) because it was overcooked!

Well, I guess God didn't want you to be a vegetarian.

But if God wanted bacteria & parasites to be so :yummy: why do they make us so :tombstone?
Quote from Bladerunner :I am definitely not normal...while I was in France I developed a liking for Steak Tartare...

doesnt tartare have lots of spices in the meat to make it taste good ?

a nice experiment is to take something like bread or vegetables and meat and chew both of them for longer than you normally would ... guess which one tastes better at the end (hint: its not the meat)
Quote from wark :.....
But if God wanted bacteria & parasites to be so :yummy: why do they make us so :tombstone?

lol...I could open a whole new topic on this subject!!
30 years ago we didn't have anything LIKE the levels of bacterial infection from food OR HOSPITALS (MRSA??!!!) that we do today, and the answer is: the average home today is TOO clean!!
The human body will gradually build up a resistance to these sort of infections, in much the same way as a vaccination will help you build up a defence against a more serious illness, by giving the body a small sample of the bad stuff, so that the natural defences can prepare.
These days, with mothers running for the disinfectant and anti-bacterial soap every time their little angels get their hands dirty, it is no wonder that they have no resistance!
Even H G Wells knew about this, remember how the earth defeated the Martians in War of the Worlds?

Going off on an evolutionary tangent...the design of the human digestive system, from the teeth right down to the colon, is made for an OMNIVORE.
We are NOT uniquely carnivorous OR herbivorous, but we are made to eat almost anything.
Whether you believe the Church or Darwin, something made us that way, so just enjoy your food whatever!

An Inconvenient Truth
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG