The online racing simulator
Locked diffs in UFR/XFR
(33 posts, started )
Quote from Fonnybone :I loved my Scirocco BTW, it's 1 'r' and 3 'c' .

I'm not a fan of camaros, at all, but i understand they are pretty decent
handling cars. I'd still choose a Scirocco over a camaro, anytime. Much
lighter, uses much less gas and can easily be as fast unless you really
NEED to have 1000hp to go fast in a straightline for 1/4mile (cause we all
know how usefull THAT is..) Heck i'd take any 240sx/300z, Miata or BMW
before even touching a camaro.

Reminds me, i had a 'race' with an old 84ish camaro the other day and i
was an even match with my 1988 325ix, thats an inline6 with 170hp btw.
What engine do you camaro guys think he had ? It had a tailpipe on
each side (2 in total) a bit like Mustangs have sometimes.

Ah yeah, the locked diffs, sure, why not, i'd like to have all diffs available in all
cars if only for testing purposes. It's always fun to be able to use 'real world'
to understand how things work/relate.

Ditto, like I've told many people, I'd rather have a 14 year old Miata, and a 12 year old hot-hatch FWD than a new'ish TransAm anyday. I'd put either of mine on a tight track against a new Camaro. The Camaro just can't handle twisties as well, (as it's never really been intended to). Not to bash on them, they're great cars and the new ones aren't total bricks, but compaired to a decent but cheap 2100-2600lb RWD, (or FWD's), they still are. Back on topic though..

I'm also noting the locked diff's in the "good" LFS setups, and it's screwy, especially in the FWD's. A FWD with a locked diff shouldn't beat one with a LSD, around corners. I wonder if they're planning on working on the modelling of that any more?, or if I'm just waay off base. (seeing as I haven't actualy driven a real FWD with a locked diff, lmao) In theory, it's just not right though.. and due to this, when I run somebodies good FWD LFS setup, I get rid of their locked diff, just seems wrong to me. Personally, after a few laps, I can run nearly identical times with the two - though I am still a n00b, and I am driving on a joystick for now.
FWD:s can be extremely fun to drive. Not that I like them over RWD layout though, but DC2 Integra type-R has always been my #1 choice if I'd have to drive a FWD. I think 200-250hp is pretty much that you can have in a FWD which you can still handle around the track.

Quote from wheel4hummer :Camaro's handle pretty good! Any FWD car cannot compare with the handling of a Camaro!

Thanks for the laugh of the day
I have a '87 Camaro as my second/project car beside my S13 and it handles like a wheelie bin. American cars can't go but straight, excluding "super" cars like a C5/C6 vette etc ofcourse. I wonder what was Ford thinking when they designed the suspension of the new Mustang.. "Hey! I know! Let's make a car with 60's technology in '05!".
</offtopic> sry
There's only one FWD layout worth knowing about, the Mini
The mini-pooper would be so much better with RWD!
Quote from Bob Smith :Don't worry, nobody clicks on links in signatures, some don't even read them. Makes you wonder why we bother with them at all really...

And some don't even wanna see them. "Show Signatures" is turned off here.
:duck:
Quote from Matrixi : I wonder what was Ford thinking when they designed the suspension of the new Mustang.. "Hey! I know! Let's make a car with 60's technology in '05!".
</offtopic> sry

Ok, i'll give you a hint:

"Boss ! We have almost finished the car but we have no money left in
the budget !"

Oh, and that budget is often a target price based on competition. Most
car manufacturers would rather have a lower priced car, than one with
options making it more expensive than it's competitors. The cost VS gain
ultimately decides. If the car can live without, chances are it won't make
it to production. The solid axle on the new mustangs was tested and
turned out to perfom quite well. The independant rear suspension IS
available, just not on stock models. Besides, the basic rear suspension
gets the job done quite well for 'old tech' (it's also preferred for drag
racing). It's the same reason why some cars still come with rear drum
brakes today, in 2005 (2006 soon hehe).

Speaking of which, differentials are also subject to the same laws of
competition. The only reason for street cars to have a basic open
differential is cost VS gain. The majority of people don't NEED it and
would rather have a car costing less. Just like the Mustang IRS, on
sportier versions, you'll sometimes get an LSD instead of an open diff.
This is the case on the 1999+ miatas from what i understand, the
LSD comes with a sportier suspension and a few other goodies, but you
can get a barebone version without. BMW e30s are the same, 'S' versions
get a viscous rear diff and a sportier suspension (warning: pattern emerging).

It all comes down to a lower selling price.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The mini-pooper would be so much better with RWD!

No they wouldn't illepall part of the beauty of a Mini is that it is so compact and light, there's no need to have RWD with an A-Series pumping out a massive 60 bhp
I'd look at that the other way - due to the engine output, the FWD drivetrain can easily handle the power without any problems. RWD would still be preffered from a handling point of view. Of course it then wouldn't be a true mini, since it would have to be physically larger to incorporate the transmission tunnel (amongst other things).

Locked diffs in UFR/XFR
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG