The online racing simulator
Unrealistic clutch
(8 posts, started )
Unrealistic clutch
Hi,

I dont have a 3 pedal set but the other night I made my brake pedal a clutch to see how realistic it was. One thing glared at me - the whole range of the pedal engages the clutch. I dont know about race cars but in road cars you have a "bite point" in the middle where the clutch is being engaged and this isnt the whole pedal range. Essentially the top and bottom of the pedal range do nothing in a real car.

To fix this all the Devs need to do is make the top and bottom of the pedal not do anything and make the middle 20% the entire range of the clutch. This would seem much more realistic to me. I suppose this could also be achieved using DX tweak but i dont see why it isnt already in.

What do you think?
#2 - Vain
At this point of development the clutch is a stub-clutch, waiting for further development in the future. Then we'll have nice clutch-travel, resistance-values calculated from clutch-pressure, etc.

Vain
#3 - Gunn
Also the range can vary depending on individual clutch adjustment and type of clutch (mechanical vs. hydraulic, for example). Some cars "bite" immediately, some later some later still.
The Clutch can also be tweaked with DX Tweaks (I think thats the name, or something similar) and with some experiments it can be pretty good.
Without FF It will not be like the real thing
I agree it's quite wrong at the moment.

But just so you know - you can (with some care) do it using the calibration in game and not using DX Tweak.

It's a bit tricky so it may take a few attempts :

1) Hold the clutch down somewhere in the correct operating range where you want it to be active.

2) Click "recalibrate axes" or whatever it's called.

3) Move your steering, brake and accelerator axes over their full range as usual when you are calibrating. But move the clutch only over that small operating range where you want it to be active.

4) Click "calibration lock" or whatever.

5) Now you can release the clutch pedal.

I know that is boring / it would be easy for me to make it better / it would be easier if there was a recalibrate single axis, etc, etc... but i'm just saying how to do it with the current version.
Isnt it easier just to set a deadzone on your clutch pedal, rather than go though the whole holding the pedal down a bit whilst calibrating?

Most drivers allow you to set when the pedal becomes active. Still, its not going to feel brilliant until FF Clutch pedals are the norm
Exactly, my logitech controler software allows for range of motion, dead zone and curves adjustments, dosen't yours?
Actually, I found Scawen's resolution a good one. Well, it worked for me!

Unrealistic clutch
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG