The online racing simulator
#1 - RiCiN
Vuzix iWear VR920 3D Video Eyewear
Nice find.
While it's a pricey gadget, it sure looks like loads of fun as well as usability.
Any info on that the preceived view size is?
i had something like that before that was made by sony. To be honest it was so far back in time, that the game i'd played it with was Nascar thunder 2003 on the PS2. the picture is really crisp on these things... if you can find on pick it up! must buy for people who cant afford a good cockpit or dont have the space.
a gameing show i watch gave some of these away awhile ago. aparently it looks like the size of a movie screen. good quality and sound.
Hmm.

Quote :
  • Twin high-resolution 640x480 (920,000 pixels) LCD Displays
  • Equivalent to a 62" screen viewed at 9 feet

If I had a 62" screen running at 640x480, I would want it a lot further away than 9 feet. Preferably in someone else's house.
RiCiN your second link goes to the AV920 which is not the one for PCs, correct link is:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear-vr920.html
http://www.vr920.com/

If you or anyone else decides to purchase one, can you report here about your experience with it, especially with LFS?

A review of it here:
http://cybereality.com/sections/vr920_review.htm

What I'm mainly concerned about, is how many games it will be compatible with, and that it only uses 60Hz refresh rate (surely that would strain your eyes after a while?)
60Hz is fine for LCD screens that size (or any size for that matter) my only concern is the "low" res but I would need to see it to judge it.
There would be some eye strain, as it seems inherent in such devices, but then again you shouldn't be playing all night anyway

The demo dude mentioned something about 3d but it's either a false statement or it requires game support for 3d. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Quote from gohfeld23 :The demo dude mentioned something about 3d but it's either a false statement or it requires game support for 3d. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Given that it's providing a screen for each eye, it probably makes use of a video driver that draws a slightly different image for each screen.

Edit: Yeah it seems nVidia cards do it, ATI probably do too.
rofl xaotik. Yeah NVidia provides 3D support for stereoscopic glasses, however ATI does NOT. I happen to have a pair of E-Dimensional glasses (and I have an ATI card...) E-D had to create their own wrapper software to get the 3D effect with ATI cards (whereas it works without any such mucking about with NVidia cards). So unless Vuzix has done something similar for their product, you won't get any 3D effect if you have an ATI.

As for the low resolution, it supports up to 1024x768 but it will be scaled back down to 640x480.
Quote from df_limitless :As for the low resolution, it supports up to 1024x768 but it will be scaled back down to 640x480.

Which means in practice it supports only up to 640x480
Now a slight 3d effect might just make this toy a steal.
I've been checking some review and only read good things about.
Seems to be very responsive, minimal response lag and very smooth and easy on the eyes.

Still can't judge it before I test it though....all I have to do now is find a place that has it on display.
Quote from df_limitless :RiCiN your second link goes to the AV920 which is not the one for PCs, correct link is:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear-vr920.html
http://www.vr920.com/

If you or anyone else decides to purchase one, can you report here about your experience with it, especially with LFS?

A review of it here:
http://cybereality.com/sections/vr920_review.htm

What I'm mainly concerned about, is how many games it will be compatible with, and that it only uses 60Hz refresh rate (surely that would strain your eyes after a while?)

Oops. Thanks, I'll add those links to my post.
Ok now, I've mainly got Scottish blood flowing through my not so perfectly formed body, so i invariably look for the cheapest alternative to things I'm interested in having.

Why not just buy a couple of mini LCD Tv's from eBay for a tenner, take out the screens, hook em up to a 5 quid DVI splitter cable and wedge em into a pair of Grannies old reading specs ?
Jobs a good'un ! and you've saved yourself a couple of hundred quid !

Then, go download FreeTrack v2.0, look behind the sofa and find that Tv remote you lost in 1982, whip out the LED's, build a headset and you've got 6dof luvliness ! and after a few months wonky eyes !!
Quote from geeman1 :Which means in practice it supports only up to 640x480

But "super-sample" AA'ed 640x480. And you get two of them overlaid in-brain. I don't think it'll look too bad for racing games. Now flight-sims would probably need higher resolution to spot planes 2km away....

The 9 feet equiv distance is nice, too. I suppose eyes are less strained that way.
Quote from yoyoML :But "super-sample" AA'ed 640x480. And you get two of them overlaid in-brain. I don't think it'll look too bad for racing games. Now flight-sims would probably need higher resolution to spot planes 2km away....

It's still a very low res. And considering that 62" @ 9 feet, the pixels must be the size of bricks.
62" display with 640x480 resolution has pixel pitch size of almost 2mm (for comparasion a regular 17" (1280x1024) computer monitor has pixel pitch of 0.263mm. That AA doesn't help much, there is no substitute for higher res.
LFS in 3D =_0
LFS in 3D

P.S. Of course u need red/cyan 3d glasses to view ... these are just crappy, but somebody please make a few better ones
Attached images
ufr_gonzo_-_moly_render_196 - 3D.jpg
LFS RB4 3D.jpg
LFS End Screen 3D.jpg
After doing a bit of searching, I came across:

http://www.headplay.com/
http://www.3dvisor.com/
http://www.trimersion.com/

The first product, the headplay, has a refresh rate up to 120Hz and a resolution of 800x600. The virtual image size is 52" at 6'. A tad more expensive at $499.99, though the specs make no mention of head-tracking.

The second product, the 3DVisor, also has a resolution of 800x600, and its virtual image is 105" at 12'. However I could not see anything in particular that justifies its price of $1,499.00.

The third product, the Trimersion, has a resolution of 640x480, and its virtual image is 40" at 6.5'. This device is not only wireless, it also comes with a gun controller! This is designed for first person shooters. The cheapest so far at $395.00 -- however the specs make no mention of stereo vision.

It would be best to look into these products before committing to one.
I've got one of the Z800 visors that does the 800x600 resolution. They can be bought for around $700-$800 on eBay. I'd ignore the mumbo jumbo comparisons about screen size looking like it's 60 inches viewed at a distance of whatever feet. That might be correct, but...

My notebook has a 17 inch screen. When I wear the Z800 and sit back in a big, fluffy chair, the image in the visor looks the same size as the laptop monitor. I'm left wishing it was just a tad bigger and was honestly a little bit disappointed when I first tried it (except for the 3D effect which is pretty mind blowing). However, after playing a bit I more or less forget about it, especially in a dark room.

I couldn't get LFS to work in stereo mode unfortunately. It might be the special drivers that were needed for my notebook at fault though. The only racing sim I tried in 3D was mine along with VRC. First person shooters rock though and can be downright frightening in full 3D. Zipping around between skyscrapers in Flight Simulator 2004 made me queazy enough after a few minutes that I had to stop!

The 3D effect is excellent. However, I suspect a big monitor with some shutter glasses might be better, unless you're just dying for the head tracking. In that case, it's best to get a TrackIR on top of the visor as well. The head tracking is much better than the built in Z800 accelerometers provide.

As for a smaller visor like the OP posted, I'd look hard at seeing if you could try a pair out first before buying them unless there's a satisfaction guarantee. To each his own though. Many folks can't go back to a monitor after trying a 3D visor

Oh, and the 800x600 resolution looks a lot better than I expected it to. It's quite clear and seems much higher res than that. Any games you play with it need to work in full screen (no windowed games) and of course be able to go down to 800x600, or in the case of the OP's post, 640x480. Not too many games go that low these days.
I just tried with that glasses. Nvidia card, everything nice and smooth.I had some troubles adjusting brightness because didn't know how to bring up onscreen configuration. It's correct said, size is the same as 19 inch monitor from one metre. There is two bad things - lens are not perfect, there is blurring on down part of image, and edges. Screen looks like it's stretched by edges (like crt-monitor looks oval, but vice versa). Second is focus distance, i couldn't focus good to read text from same distance as from normal monitor, like it's made for ppl with myopia.

There is no more ridiculous ghosting (from redblue anaglyph), and distortions doesn't gets ur attention, so you don't feel like you watching two monitors. Stereoeffect feels good when you looking around car, and nearby road, but in distance it's hard to determine real distance (like in real life). On training course i start feeling size of car, and no more broken objects etc.

Only one thing i didn't like is headtracking. First it's hard to calibrate. Second it's hard to configure. After a while i finished up by virtual joystick program that changes mouse cursor position as it's x axis of joystick, and yawing of head as mouse x position (setting joystick axis as head rotation hadn't any effect, only setting mouse..). But it's very hard and i think unnescessary to move head for looking around since it's hard to get to correct course, so i removed that.

So they are not perfect, but they much better than annoying anaglyph. Only problem they requires nvidia card to run any kind of game without native support.

P.S. They are 640x480, but i don't think bigger is needed, lens are not perfect and that pixels will be just lost
After some more time of configuring i got headtracker work well enough. There was instruction to calibrate it with open ear-part in manual, and i'm not one who read manuals often )))

There is some problem with brightness if your eyes not on same line, you need to adjust glasses for that, and it's not mentioned anywhere.

Overall it's much more impressive to use glasses than to drive looking monitor. It's much harder to control car because, but impressions are much stronger. They cost their price, and they much better than stereomonitor of any kind.
-
(olegvv) DELETED by Scawen : spam

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG