The online racing simulator
Server Connection Issues...
(4 posts, started )
Hi All,

I have recently been attempting to race on Conedodgers server and the CTRA servers without much luck.

Las night I ran my first 1:44.xx on AS3 so thought I would try get my license on the CD server. Join in all good 5-6 laps through the race, already pitted and running in 4th of 10 with people in front yet to pit. I was pretty pumped and feeling like it was my best race online ever. Then BAM 'connection to host lost' or some such error and sitting in the menus. No warning or anything.

Now, this has happened every time I try to race on CD. sometimes I get through 2-3 laps sometimes 8-9 but have yet to finish a race on there.

Same with CTRA, if I actually manage to stay on long enough to get onto the track something really weird happens on the CTRA servers. I exited the pits in the Single Seater server, it was running KY Ring, and when I got to the same corner everytime it kicked me back to the pits saying I was inactive for too long... BUT I WAS RACING. bah.

Now, I'm pretty sure it's not my connection. I have an 8mb ADSL pipe running into my house and have not had a single issue with it. The connection graph on the bottom left of the screen is always good, just get random disconnects and stuff.

Any ideas?
Any ideas at all? Tried racing again last night and on both CTRA and CD I got dropped after 6-10minutes of racing. It just so happened I was watching the net meter on CD when I dropped and it didn't spike or anything was all plain green/blue the whole time.

This is really getting to me, I can't even finish a damn race.
i get what i think is the same problem. My connection is fine in that i recieve all the other car data, so its not problem racing. But occasionally the player names dissapear and the chat lags - if it lags enough i get disconnected, even though i'm still recieving all the racing information. also, the lag indicator in the bottom left lags at the same time as the chat and names. How do lfs transfer these 2 seperatly? I assume names and chat etc are TCP/IP and the race info is UDP? Why would i lag out on one and not the other?
Quote from originalau :Now, I'm pretty sure it's not my connection. I have an 8mb ADSL pipe running into my house and have not had a single issue with it. The connection graph on the bottom left of the screen is always good, just get random disconnects and stuff.

It's Austrailia's connection to the rest of the planet. It's shit, to put it mildly. The servers you've outlined are both based in the UK, from what I believe, hence I'd fully expect you to have trouble with them, to be honest. Obviously I dont know how the internals of LFS work for timing out, but your positioning / input packets are sent via UDP, which is an unguaranteed and connectionless protocol. Should there be an issue with the connection to Austrialia, you're probably gonna get dropped because your copy of LFS didnt respond quickly enough.

Quote from TheRivieraKid :i get what i think is the same problem. My connection is fine in that i recieve all the other car data, so its not problem racing. But occasionally the player names dissapear and the chat lags - if it lags enough i get disconnected, even though i'm still recieving all the racing information. also, the lag indicator in the bottom left lags at the same time as the chat and names. How do lfs transfer these 2 seperatly? I assume names and chat etc are TCP/IP and the race info is UDP? Why would i lag out on one and not the other?

Yes, positioning is UDP (although there is a fallback to TCP if UDP "fails"). I believe that chat is TCP, but I've never "checked" as such to be honest.

Racing is less likely to look like you're lagging out, as your client will do clientside predictions, based on the last input from other users, so it may look perfectly normal. This is what compensates for only get packets every 1/x of a second from an LFS server.

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG