The online racing simulator
Question about setting up toe
(18 posts, started )
Hopefully this hasn't been asked too much, but when I want to set my wheels to have toe out, does this mean I want the "toe in" to be negative? This is what I would assume, and positive toe in would actually be toe in. Its kind of hard to tell which way the wheels are actually pointing.
+ is toe in, - is toe out
Sweet, thanks!
np, I thought I better be helpful to offset my "spitefull and harassing" posts from today, karma an all that.........

but I digress......glad to help
Also could someone tell me exactly what it does?

I'm guessing toe in on the front wheels will promote oversteer and toe out understeer. At the rear wheels it'd be the other way around? I'm basing this on an the way the outer wheels would be pointing when cornering hard (since there is little weight on the inside ones).

I suppose on turn in with toe in at the front it'd be sharper but then you'd be more likely to just turn the wheel sideways and skid too?

Coming off the turn with toe out at the back would help with stopping the tail kicking out (since the inner tyre would pull it back in as the weight shifts back onto it). Toe in would help the outer tyre slide if that's what you're after.

And large amounts of either will lower your maximum straight line speed.

Is there something I overlooked or is my first glance not bad?
Pretty much.

Toe in will provide straight line stability. Excessive toe in will wear tyres, increase tyre temps and lower straight line speed.

Toe out on the front is often used to improve turn in, mostly in conjuction with some Ackermann effect.

Toe out is a no no in real life (except on things like a Lancia Stratos), but in a sim can be happily used to adjust the balance. More toe out will make that end less stable.
Thanks heaps. That guide is a really useful read. I think in my earlier post I might have over-estimated the effect of weight transfer at turn in and exit.
You probably didn't overestimate weight transfer effect, but they are not simple, and the way I think about it is simple, and pretty much as effective
Quote from danowat :+ is toe in, - is toe out

Isn't this backwards from real life? I was having problems with my sets because I was doing the reverse. I think IRL, positive toe is outward and negative toe is inward.
Doesn't matter, as you clearly set "Toe In" (that's what the setup option is called). Thus if it's positive, it's actual "toe in" whereas a negative value results in "negative toe in", which is "toe out."
Oh man I had it upside down all this time O_O

I thought puttin -1 would help me turn in :S Bah, oh well. Thanks for askin the question :P Clears it up for me too
It does. -1 means it's toe out, which helps turn-in.
Oh, good so I had it right.

-1 will help me turn in and +1 will make it more stable I sopose but turn a lot harder then if i set it to -1.

Sounds good
Quote from AndroidXP :Doesn't matter, as you clearly set "Toe In" (that's what the setup option is called). Thus if it's positive, it's actual "toe in" whereas a negative value results in "negative toe in", which is "toe out."

There is no need to be condescending about it. While we're at it, why don't we just set the dampers up so that a lower number means more damping? As long as its labeled that way its perfectly ok, right? :rolleyes:
Automotive standards donate that negative toe is toe out.

LFS does a similar trick as you attempt to suggest sarcastically by having ride height altered with the "Ride Height Reduction" slider. A bigger number = lower ride height. It's not that hard to understand.

The other thing is that setup alterations are visible on the car, so you can see what way is toe in or out just by sliding whilst watching the front wheels.
Quote from tristancliffe :Automotive standards donate that negative toe is toe out.

That's all I was asking. :rolleyes:

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG