The online racing simulator
Engine Damage = Servers?
(23 posts, started )
Engine Damage = Servers?
I have a question. People (including me) have complained about the lack in engine damage.

Well, can the damage be added by a third party? Say a server.

For example: Lets say the server's engine damage correlates with the tire/wheel impact damage. So if the bar is half way up the server limits you car's speed, etc. If you flip or receive heavy tire damage (red bar) the server does not allow the car to continue and you'll have to pit to leave the track.
This kind of limitation had nothing to do with race simulation.

BTW:That's not wheel/tire damage. That bars indicates the suspension damage.
There is allready eninge damage, tiredamage and suspension damage. Only the engine damage isn't much when you overrev.
Quote from LFSn00b :If you downshift too fast, you overrev the engine = engine damage

i agree, just get in the fxr, and do what LFSn00b said, and then you will undsertand, but i understand whatr you mean,

as in revving the engine so high with the clutch pressed, then letting go of the clutch, and finding everything as good as new....maybe it will be better when the game is released...
You people really didn't read the first post did you?

What he means, is that if it was possible to make a program kick you to spectate once you would have much damage to move.
Well, I don't know if that's possible but the idea is silly. Scawen needs to figure out the damage and it needs to be built properly to LFS.
Over revving is fine. But I'm talking about CRASH engine damage.

For example, I plow into a wall straight on and I get no difference in speed. My engine is still perfect after it had a major accident.

In rFactor i spin out and clip the wall and i already got major engine damage. In fact a few laps later my engine completely blew. There's nothing NOT EVEN REMOTE damage in LFS

This really really bothers me, I'm curious if it's possible for a server to fix that
Quote from lizardfolk :This really really bothers me, I'm curious if it's possible for a server to fix that

Theoretically you could make and InSim mod that would force you to spectate if you crashed at a high velocity. But it wouldn't be very realistic, and you wouldn't get it visually. It needs to be added to the actual simulation, which isn't really possible to do by a third party.
#8 - Jakg
And afaik InSim wouldn't update often enough to make it that viable...
Insim could detect the accident, more or less. It would not know how big the accident was and whether engine damage would be realistic, and it would have no way of applying the engine damage except to tell the driver "dont go over 120mph" or something.

Engine damage is just one of the many small details that all sims including LFS miss, things like dirt on the track and variable track temperature. My biggest gripe with all sims is that they focus on making the car physics more realistic when at the end of the day the computer<>human interface is inherently unrealistic anyway.

If push came to shove I would sacrifice some of the physics for elements I figure are more important, like varying brake temperature, and cars bringing dirt onto the circuit and following cars clearing it.

One of the biggest problems with LFS is that all the physics calculations are true to life, which means that anything that is not factored makes the final result inherrently unrealistic, but that point of view would be too unpopular with the die hards to bother arguing around here.

I think it's more important that the 'gameplay' details, like engine damage and the things mentioned above, are simulated than the accuracy of the cars physics which I interact with in an inherrently unreal way (computer). That's what I think anyway.

There is still not a single sim that makes the environment interact properly with the players, the environment is this static thing that we drive over.

I want to see marbles off the racing line, and I want sand traps that rut and drivers who spin their wheels sink in to. I want marshalls to come running to recover my car, and I want to see marshalls waving flags.

It's things like that which make the simulation feel more real, the interaction between player and environment which at the moment in all sims is completely stale.

I watched some racing this weekend, and whenever a car left the circuit they would slow up a lot to rejoin because the tarmac was higher than the grass. When they rejoined they dragged dirt with them, and the following 7 or 8 cars would often step their back out as they crossed it until the dirt was clear. To me these details are more important than the accuracy of the body roll calculation.
#10 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :My biggest gripe with all sims is that they focus on making the car physics more realistic when at the end of the day the computer<>human interface is inherently unrealistic anyway.

Why gripe about that Becky? One can be improved ad infinitum and the other can hardly evolve at all.
Quote from Gunn :Why gripe about that Becky? One can be improved ad infinitum and the other can hardly evolve at all.

LOL - I can't decide which is which though....

And Becky,

Quote :One of the biggest problems with LFS is that all the physics calculations are true to life, which means that anything that is not factored makes the final result inherrently unrealistic,

That's the most sensible thing I've read around here in months.
#12 - DeKo
Quote from lizardfolk :Over revving is fine. But I'm talking about CRASH engine damage.

For example, I plow into a wall straight on and I get no difference in speed. My engine is still perfect after it had a major accident.

In rFactor i spin out and clip the wall and i already got major engine damage. In fact a few laps later my engine completely blew. There's nothing NOT EVEN REMOTE damage in LFS

This really really bothers me, I'm curious if it's possible for a server to fix that

spinning out and clipping the wall will very rarely give you any decent amount of engine damage.
Very well said Becky,
it's true, lfs would be TEH ÜBER driving simulator if all of the features mentioned above would be implemented. I don't think that it is possible to program all that, and it should not be the hardest part, remember the awesome physics we have right now! On the other hand I think it MUST be difficult to implement that stuff
-into the existing gamecode
-until tomorrow night at 22:45 uktime
-...and let it run fluently on todays/yesterdays computers.

Hehe, imagine the chat:

1:WTF
1:#2 you made me spin
2:what?
1:you slipped into the gravel 37 laps ago, i slipped because of your debris!

greetz

der butz
Quote from DeKo :spinning out and clipping the wall will very rarely give you any decent amount of engine damage.

Driving formula 1 in Shanghai in that giant long straightaway spinning out going 190 mph and "clipping" (more like smashing but the accident looks like clipping from the replay) WOULD get engine damage

Same thing in NASCAR, spinning out in Talladega going 180 on the straightaway and hitting your nose on the wall WILL GET YOU SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE.

Quote from Becky Rose :Insim could detect the accident, more or less. It would not know how big the accident was and whether engine damage would be realistic, and it would have no way of applying the engine damage except to tell the driver "dont go over 120mph" or something.

Engine damage is just one of the many small details that all sims including LFS miss, things like dirt on the track and variable track temperature. My biggest gripe with all sims is that they focus on making the car physics more realistic when at the end of the day the computer<>human interface is inherently unrealistic anyway.

If push came to shove I would sacrifice some of the physics for elements I figure are more important, like varying brake temperature, and cars bringing dirt onto the circuit and following cars clearing it.

One of the biggest problems with LFS is that all the physics calculations are true to life, which means that anything that is not factored makes the final result inherrently unrealistic, but that point of view would be too unpopular with the die hards to bother arguing around here.

I think it's more important that the 'gameplay' details, like engine damage and the things mentioned above, are simulated than the accuracy of the cars physics which I interact with in an inherrently unreal way (computer). That's what I think anyway.

There is still not a single sim that makes the environment interact properly with the players, the environment is this static thing that we drive over.

I want to see marbles off the racing line, and I want sand traps that rut and drivers who spin their wheels sink in to. I want marshalls to come running to recover my car, and I want to see marshalls waving flags.

It's things like that which make the simulation feel more real, the interaction between player and environment which at the moment in all sims is completely stale.

I watched some racing this weekend, and whenever a car left the circuit they would slow up a lot to rejoin because the tarmac was higher than the grass. When they rejoined they dragged dirt with them, and the following 7 or 8 cars would often step their back out as they crossed it until the dirt was clear. To me these details are more important than the accuracy of the body roll calculation.

While what you say is mainly true that having a "perfect" racing sim is currently either not possible or not probable to the game companies, rFactor and their well known mods did the best job IMO when it comes to damage.

While these elements will have some unrealistism (such as bad AI which is prominent in rFactor), to me the physics and damage is the most important thing in a racing sim (which is why LFS annoys me a bit), especially in racing leagues.

All I want is LFS to add ATLEAST a rudimentary internal impact damage, that way when i go straight into the wall i wont be able to just shake it off as body damage. While it may be a while until we see that "realism" in crash damage, i was curious if a server could add it.
Quote from Voytech :I just need to somehow explain it to my wife that 2 hours of lfs a night will not destroy our marriage (like she claims ).

Don't be too sure of that I'm lucky that my girlfriend usually works late shifts so I've got enough time on my own to race or just chat or do other things behind the computer when I get home from work, but she's got a week off now and I can assure you if I were to spend 2 hours every evening racing we'd be having arguments every night I can understand her point of view perfectly, though. I really have to tell myself "okay, don't turn on the computer tonight, spend some time with her, watch tv together etc etc"
only?! I get about 70 at a minimum, and 120 or so usually on my iMac.
The 17" iMac one I had did 90fps or so with default settings, but that was before AA+AF were switched on. Still the machine does perform admirably really.
iMac's rule, that's why. Other computers suck.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :iMac's rule, that's why. Other computers suck.

That's the most close-minded comment I've ever seen.
Close-minded is what I do. Too bad I was sorta taking the piss. I love my iMac for what it does, mainly everything, but there are uses for other PC's, like... word processing, and... paperweights.

I got the same iMac, running in Windows Vista.
So Dustin, in percentage terms what is the number of days you have had trouble free computing from your iMac, versus those it has spent broken or being reinstalled? And how many times in the half year or so that you've owned it have you had to format down and reinstall?
Format and reinstall, Once, becuase I messed up Leopard AND Windows by resizing partition to install Linux. I've had trouble free, aboot 95%, it's just when it isn't working, it's a royal bitch, and I'd rather get fornicated by an hot iron piece of metal than deal with it.
Canned is never good, regardless how good idea it tries to serve.
Patience.

Engine Damage = Servers?
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG