The online racing simulator
Saying good bye to Blender 2.42a and saying hello to 3DS 7
So I got 3DS 7 and I've been messing with it for the past 4 hours and I must say it's more complex then Blender, I've yet found out how to add the skin and the other textures such as brake calipers, seats, steering wheels and all that good stuff.... If some one can fill me in on the basics I'd apperciate it alot.... Thanks -Mike
The 3000$ program does come with a manual...

Visit Autodesk.com and register at their community forum for tips, tricks and plenty of tutorials.
Quote from spankmeyer :The 3000$ program does come with a manual...

Visit Autodesk.com and register at their community forum for tips, tricks and plenty of tutorials.

I'm aware of that but that would involve reading and what not, I just need to know how you apply textures....
You've already spent more time on the board asking help and reading my stupid–yet–brilliantly–witty replies than it would have taken you open up the manual and humbly going through the text to find the answer on your own.

3dsmaxnwd.

EDIT: Hold on I got another one...

*cough*

Manualwnd.
It's a little obvious that nobody here has the real manual, let alone the actual product receipt. :rolleyes: :doh:
#6 - TiJay
If you're going to 'acquire' 3DSMax, why not get version 8 instead?

(v9 doesn't like vista btw)
Quote from TiJay :If you're going to 'acquire' 3DSMax, why not get version 8 instead?

(v9 doesn't like vista btw)

Good one, I was having a problem finding 3DS Max and some kid on my other post gave me the link to a trial for 3DS Max 7, If you got the link for V 8 send it to me because 7 is confusing and I cant ask for help when I need it without people being ignorant....*Cough* *Cough* spankmeyer
#8 - ZORER
Applying textures is not that easy to explain in here.You have to do "unwrap" if you'll use complex objects.And you'll probably need an image editor software like photoshop to make textures.And you'll need to make a metarial compatible to your renderer and light setup.If you'll use built-in renderer(scanline) just press M and there comes the metarial editor and modify one of the standard metarials.After you are happy with your material just drag-drop that to your object in the scene.
You'd better spend some time on, UVWmap modifier, metarial editor and even sub-object mapping to get basic texturing things done.
Quote from TypeRCivic :Good one, I was having a problem finding 3DS Max and some kid on my other post gave me the link to a trial for 3DS Max 7, If you got the link for V 8 send it to me because 7 is confusing and I cant ask for help when I need it without people being ignorant....*Cough* *Cough* spankmeyer

I'm not ignorant. Only annoying.

*cough*

And reading the manual would still be your best bet my lazy friend.
Quote from ZORER :Applying textures is not that easy to explain in here.You have to do "unwrap" if you'll use complex objects.And you'll probably need an image editor software like photoshop to make textures.And you'll need to make a metarial compatible to your renderer and light setup.If you'll use built-in renderer(scanline) just press M and there comes the metarial editor and modify one of the standard metarials.After you are happy with your material just drag-drop that to your object in the scene.
You'd better spend some time on, UVWmap modifier, metarial editor and even sub-object mapping to get basic texturing things done.

Thanks for the HELP... Unlike someone *Cough* *Cough*

It's ok to be lazy sometimes and this time I choose to be lazy..
Zorer's method is wrong if you are playing with LFS models imported from the CMX. If you want to do that, read the tutorial, which tells you step by step how to do it.

It's idiot proof, but you'll probably manage.
Quote from tristancliffe :Zorer's method is wrong if you are playing with LFS models imported from the CMX. If you want to do that, read the tutorial, which tells you step by step how to do it.

It's idiot proof, but you'll probably manage.

Funny thats it's idiot proof and very true, I'm importing a .obj file from the CMX viewer and I'm trying to add a darn skin and what not, I dont want to edit the exhisting wireframe, I want to do what I did with blender and right now I'm having crappy luck trying to figure it out
I don't know about importing objs. Do they retain the CMX mapping? If so, it's just a case of applying textures to the materials on the Material Browser thingy, as in the tutorial.

If you applying textures without maps then Zorer is correct and you'll have to learn how to map objects.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from TiJay :(v9 doesn't like vista btw)

...? Runs fine here - now if only there was a copy of Brazil v 2 for 64-bit Vista as a trial :X
Quote from TypeRCivic :Funny thats it's idiot proof and very true, I'm importing a .obj file from the CMX viewer and I'm trying to add a darn skin and what not, I dont want to edit the exhisting wireframe, I want to do what I did with blender and right now I'm having crappy luck trying to figure it out

Alternatively.. even easier.. dS Autos. Only 2 cars that require 3DS v8 are the RB4 and LX6 as those scenes were created by MorroW.. but all the others that I did will load straight into 3DS v7. You will however, need brazil to get started, unless you go through and change the materials to something else (mapping will remain intact still).

Granted, the scenes are far from good in their stock format, but an easier choice for you to get going and then modifying the scenes to your own desires like most have adopted to doing now (thankfully).

Regards,

Ian
Jakg- I guess it didn't like my ATI Xpress drivers then, which isn't a surprise as the Fujitsu drivers it has are horribly slow. *Waits for the Vista Omega Drivers*. 3DS 8 works fine though.
Quote from Tweaker :It's a little obvious that nobody here has the real manual, let alone the actual product receipt. :rolleyes: :doh:

Makes me wonder how many skinners have a product reciept for Photoshop, too.

I'm guessing I'm one of the 3 people that do. Student license FTW!
#18 - JTbo
Pressing M key might provide some helpful settings to task.

I prefer UVW mapping if you need to have skinnable object, find some 3ds max tutorials to get you started.

Some mapping insight can be transferred to your brain from here
http://waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html

Material is what contains skin + parameters to make it look metal, plastic, glass whatever, that M key brings up material editor, where you build materials.

Open 3ds max help file and skim trough material topics to get better understanding how things work out.

Nobody is strong term, there are people that do have valid licences you know

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG