The online racing simulator
The HOF reflects the average players enjoyment. It has nothing to do with accuracy and realism, which the average player doesn't seem to care much about..
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :The HOF reflects the average players enjoyment. It has nothing to do with accuracy and realism, which the average player doesn't seem to care much about..

Actually that is not so different in any other sim. I'd say it's global average, not just a rf thing

EDIT: and it feels really awful for those who would like to crank up the realism another few times, being limited to something averagely realistic...
Quote from xaotik :Ah, so it wasn't only my suspicion that alot of the HOF stuff got in there due to eye-candy alone. Commendable, for the modelers, but not for the rest of the moding team.

I wouldn't be too hard for modders of those mods really, most of them has been made before realfeel or carfactory, also none of them has had experience with driving of C6 with those incredible tires, so they sure have tried to do best they can and kudos to all of them, I'm sure if they would work physics side now with all possibilities opened it would be different result.

Of course one idea is what we can play with a little, how one could claim that his made mod of some mainstream racing series would be realistic when all the data needed to create such mod has not been accessed or is impossible to access? (fictional example)

I would think that it is impossible to create realistic mod from some specific car without access to that car by one or several makers of mod and this applies again to all sims, even for LFS and thus I tend to believe that without access to car one should not have access to making mod of such car, after S3 is finished if modding is allowed to LFS. This would prevent lot of bad mods, imo.

Agree with Niels and Hyperactive, sim racers are like an iceberg, those 'purists' that prefer realism over anything are that tip of iceberg at best
Quote from JTbo :I wouldn't be too hard for modders of those mods really, most of them has been made before realfeel or carfactory, also none of them has had experience with driving of C6 with those incredible tires, so they sure have tried to do best they can and kudos to all of them, I'm sure if they would work physics side now with all possibilities opened it would be different result.

Yeah you're right, especially about the difference in tools available - but even some of the newer ones that made it in there (PCC2007 comes to mind) which are touted to have "real race driver" feedback aren't that impressive when it comes to feel, unless I am just unreasonable about what I'm expecting.

Quote from pcc2007 description :Physics have been developed in cooperation with the real PCC driver Ralph Kalaschek and his team MRS Racing. The car's behaviour on track feels closer to reality than in any other racing simulation out there.

Quote from xaotik :Yeah you're right, especially about the difference in tools available - but even some of the newer ones that made it in there (PCC2007 comes to mind) which are touted to have "real race driver" feedback aren't that impressive when it comes to feel, unless I am just unreasonable about what I'm expecting.

[/i]

It was same story with Meganes, they had feedback from real race driver, but at least for me that weight absolutely nothing in terms of realism.

From my opinion you can get proper results only by getting every tech bit right and then by tuning tires so that car acts like it should in controllable enviroment, I'm not too sure if real race driver can tell difference between feel based physics and real physics, real race driver should also be experienced with such sim and know something what is going inside to be able to be give valuable feedback.

General atmosphere of driving is probably what most race drivers are admiring, their experience from 'sims' might be level of outrun at corner of pub, which makes it really hard to translate what is general WOW effect what is proper feedback etc.

Modern sims are so complicated that it is like another job to get things work out and they require lot of insight to be able to help in development of physics.

Also most of problems are coming from above limit experience and from that tiny window of at limit, that is something real race drivers try to find, often they prefer staying safe side of it from understandable reasons, where in sim you are much closer to limits and more often above them.

It is far from easy when making some realism, it is very hard to be objective also when creating something, you are too close of it to be able to judge how it feels, testers are often too nice and don't prefer to tell directly what they think, all kind of problems. So I would not say mods are crap, but many have something to improve

I think lot of these things touch C6 too, how many have really driven C6 at limit and above and how many of those can offer really valuable feedback and from those who dare to say it straight without covering message with flowers and rounding it?

Also what about poor moddern that has worked his arse off, long nights after work, how often he is capable to listen straight feedback without loosing temper?

That is bit of what modding is, fun, challenging, even enjoyable perhaps
The whole 'real driver input' thing is so overrated! You're getting responses such as:
- it doesn't have enough grip
- brakes are bad
- it understeers too much

ok.. thanks.. umm..

There is probably less than a "newyears eve fireworks damaged hand with 3 fingers" hand full of real racers who would actually contribute significantly in detail instead of those general comments..

PS: Shotglass, try harder, cool that gfx card and run without vsync!
The suspension is too soft!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :http://youtube.com/watch?v=k95ITTKMK9I

Aris been working on a mod for GTR2, shows good promise as well

Looks very nice, I guess it has had the physics worked on quite a bit? Looks like there's far more body movement and realistic than the straight GTL > rF conversion. A link to a thread on it maybe?
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :PS: Shotglass, try harder, cool that gfx card and run without vsync!

hehe been there done that
all those comment from my second post on its feel came from that session
ill comment further as soon as i find a working big crt somewhere
Ripping GTL cars is not modding in my eyes, its theft.
Quote from deggis :Is this new Nords 2.0 based on the previous "best version" (was it the so called "Raceking" version?) that was released around X-mas day in 2006? I'm confused

Not sure, but this is the site for the makers: http://www.rf-nordschleife.de/. Screenshots are old on their site though it seems.

I know a lot of other Nordschleife attempts really sucked, but this has to be the best one ever.
Wow Nordschleife looks amazing. By far the mosr realistic I've seen so far.
Also, the GTR2 mod amazing IMO. A lot of detail in suspension work and physics.
It just looks like tires have a tad too much grip but I can't really be sure without trying it myself.

See it's things like that that make me worry about LFS.
While a year ago there were no worries, competition has arrived. Even if it's only in terms of mods. Just a tad more time and I have a feeling official titles are gonna hit the stores with LFS like physics and more/better content.
I ran the new Nordschleife but using Dx7 mode (ugly..) to get the framerate up.. up up! (200ish, otherwise it just seems to stutter a bit).. However I changed the track surface grip to be even everywhere (100% aka 1.0) and I halved the sine bumps amplitude, which I may change even more.

The devs went a bit overboard with grip zones. The fall version has 10% less general 'road grip' which is a little over the top..

Anyway with some changes its decent! Layout is not good at some places, but that is acceptable. Less acceptable are rough camber transitions (sudden start and stop, sometimes also a rough transition from the 'inside' of the corner to a 'much flatter' outside of the corner, making some bits a bit harder than they should be if you're not perfectly on the inside at the right time, plus at the exit the camber may drop suddenly, making it a bit eventful. (the fast lefthander before Aremberg, the fast lefthander at Bergwerk before the
righthander going on to the loooong uphill bit.) The camber transitions sometimes make the flow a bit tricky

What do you call the next problem.. Road undulations? Going up and down a bit much. I have a feeling this happens too much after the 'jump' (another error) before Flugplatz.. the double righthander isn't that up/downy going in my opinion. A few more corners seem to have it a bit too much.

Hatzenbach has improved, I like the flow there from the exit of the first righthander.

Ah well, it represents the ring just enough and its just drivable enough to be very enjoyable to me.
One major gripe I have with alot of the tracks is the way turns aren't smooth splines. Like this for example. I can understand optimizing the polygon count, especially for a big track like this one, but smaller tracks seem to have this as well. It's sort of an immersion killer (at this time and age - some years back I wouldn't of noticed that much) when it's so obviously uncurvey on the inside of a curve. Kerbs seems to accentuate this feature as well.
That video looks damn amazing, hope it'll play that good too
Quote from Tweaker :Not sure, but this is the site for the makers: http://www.rf-nordschleife.de/. Screenshots are old on their site though it seems.

I know a lot of other Nordschleife attempts really sucked, but this has to be the best one ever.

With the "previous best version" I meant this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=72TwlJ84KmU

it was released December 2006, and it was claimed to be redone completely (though it's suspected to be still based on the GPL version), at least it was graphically awesome. So is this latest "2007 2.0" version based on that? No because made by different people? From screenshots it doesn't look same...
I've tested the vette around the ring for countless kms, and, well, it's awesome!

Bought RF yesterday
Hmm, I might just buy rfactor as well. Would love to try out this c6 on the ring and bathurst
That would make 4 that bought rFactor because of me? I'm really thankfull that the 'hardest crowd to please' (LFS players about rFactor) actually find it drivable and fun!

PS: here is the terrain.tdf file I use now for the Ring 2.0 (doesn't work on the 'fall' version)..

Backup the original one.. it goes in gamedata\locations\nordschleife_2007.. Even grip, much less bumps.. much easier and less nervous.

PS2: I'm actually enjoying LFS too a bit, Axus convinced me to go online in the Lx4 at Aston umm North? Was good fun..
Attached files
NOS_terrain.rar - 3.1 KB - 147 views
Quote from frankwer :Ripping GTL cars is not modding in my eyes, its theft.

Thank you for the free offence. No hard feelings though, I understand what makes you think like that.

Fortunately for all, this is by no way a rip off. We have simbin/blimey! permission AND support and we've been working behind this 1st release for months and months trying to recreate the cars as they where in their original state back to the 60's and 70's. New skins, 3D models, cars, cockpits, physics and sounds. Heck we even have a GTL DVD check on our installer since we do use GTL original stuff.

Endless hours of brainstorming with Niels too on msn... we are trying to understand how the ISI engine works and push it a little bit more. I'm not saying of course that this is the best mod ever, far from it. But we do try and pay lot's of attetion to detail.

Soon you will be able to judge foryourselves. We only ask to not judge without trying.

Thank you

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG