The online racing simulator
Quote from Bongle :It would be very nice for myself and several others in this thread if we didn't have to be good at the setup game to be successful in the driving game.

Couldn't have put it better!
on the road cars you could have all the gearbox ratios fixed, but have 3 or 4 ratios on the differential to choose from (final drive) ranging from short to tall gearing. realistic on a RWD car at least
Quote from mrminor28 :-1 its bad for drift

?????okay

a treu good driver ore drifter does without them hihi
in my case thats driver but everone does setups so i cant fal behind
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :on the road cars you could have all the gearbox ratios fixed, but have 3 or 4 ratios on the differential to choose from (final drive) ranging from short to tall gearing. realistic on a RWD car at least

But how about the 4wd and the FWD cars then sorry im not that smart when comes to cars en setups
Quote from mrminor28 :-1 its bad for drift

I wouldn't say so I mean I can drift the xrt with the hard track setup pretty well i'd say it'd be a good thing for drifting in lfs seprating the noobs from the pros
Quote from RaVeR :... i'd say it'd be a good thing for drifting in lfs seprating the noobs from the pros

probably not only for the drifting. in the "driving game" (s.o.) that is, of course.
The problem is, that it's not seperating the noobs from the pros. It is bringing the pro's at setup-buildning down to the noob's level. Is that fair just because they know a lot about how to tune the suspension, the gearbox etc?
Quote from Dalarna :The problem is, that it's not seperating the noobs from the pros. It is bringing the pro's at setup-buildning down to the noob's level. Is that fair just because they know a lot about how to tune the suspension, the gearbox etc?

There would still be servers where people who enjoy and are good at setup-building would be able to work their magic head to head. On those servers, you'd have to have your own competitive setup in order to win. On these servers, you'd need both setup knowledge and driving skill to win.

At least with what I'm proposing, there would also be these fixed-setup servers that focus more on driving skill. People who enjoy doing setups wouldn't enjoy these servers, but people who like simply driving would.

What might also be neat is a combined server where you could have 'pit crews' that make a setup, and drivers that choose from the setups available.
Quote from Dalarna :The problem is, that it's not seperating the noobs from the pros. It is bringing the pro's at setup-buildning down to the noob's level. Is that fair just because they know a lot about how to tune the suspension, the gearbox etc?

No one is taking setups away from the race cars... (slight limitations would be needed for those too). I guess some people just wants LFS to be more like a physics setup sandbox for hotlapping and less like a racing sim.
#35 - Nobo
Quote from Bandit77 :but still you wouldn't know if the setup or the driver had won. that's only possible with the same setup. I thought about forced setups too, but that's a bit like "I have a nice setup here, and I hope it doesn't suit any of the other drivers."

Totally agree with you, thats why event organization always should be as independant as possible.
I would like to see an Iroc type race. I really have no idea how to setup a car, I just like to drive around. If you look in the real world racing teams have people for everything, Driver for driving, Cheif Engineer to setup the car, learn how the driver drives so they can get the most out of it.
As far as which setup you would use, hopefull any server worth its weight would be nice and use race-s or hardtrack depending on the car. Those are pretty well balanced setups...

I don't see why it can't be done already though. If the CTRA servers can see a pasenger...you would think that they can get your setup as it is... then again, the passenger detection is buggy as hell...

No, those who want to spend the time and extra dedication (and IRL money) of developing a cars setups would still be able to do it in the cars that people do it to IRL, the race cars

Quote from spookthehamster :
One way of getting round not having adjustable gearboxes would be different sized wheels.

Dropping a different final drive ratio (or even a close ratio 'box) is a perfectly common modification for club racing cars, nothing more complicated or expensive than a standard road gearbox really.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG