The online racing simulator
tow truck
(31 posts, started )
Open your mind a bit...

"My car has a boo-boo, im retiring". "I'm in the sand, im packing it up."

Wonder why Nascar has as much appeal as it does, drivers love driving (dont believe it, look at the california busch race...carl edwards was trying to get back out with just a few laps to go...he has nothing to lose as far as points are concerned to just pack it in, but he WANTS to race...)

Nascar drivers dont give up if you can get the car up to speed again. Running 50 more laps might mean the difference of 3 or 4 positions depending on attrition...
Quote from rjm1982 :Open your mind a bit...

"My car has a boo-boo, im retiring". "I'm in the sand, im packing it up."

Wonder why Nascar has as much appeal as it does, drivers love driving (dont believe it, look at the california busch race...carl edwards was trying to get back out with just a few laps to go...he has nothing to lose as far as points are concerned to just pack it in, but he WANTS to race...)

Nascar drivers dont give up if you can get the car up to speed again. Running 50 more laps might mean the difference of 3 or 4 positions depending on attrition...

Yes, but NASCAR enforces a minimum speed you have to run at or above to be allowed to stay in the race. If you can't keep your car above that set speed/laptime, they tell you to fix the car better or pack it up.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :+1 Spectators armed with weapons to take potshots at drivers :S

LFS: Death Rally edition? :P

Can we dig holes in the tarmac and cover it with road coloured mats? Nod

Alot of racing Ive watched, I've seen cars limp back plently of times after they have lost a wheel or had some pretty bad damage happened, I guess the rule is if you can make it back under your own power you should be able to do whatever you can as long as it doesn't slow other drivers up. Never towed though, unless they are going behind the pitwall.
The driver should be forced to spectate after ~30 seconds immobility. There should be some kind of 'hazard zone' mapped on the tracks. If a car lies immobile on the zone, safety car should come out and the car towed (with or without a graphical tow truck) away. If the car lies outside the zone, it should be lifted (with or without a graphical crane) away.

Of course we need a safety car, and improvements in damage and sand trap modelling first to make this work.

But getting your car towed back to the pits to continue racing sounds ridiculous.
Unless we have full course cautions, a tow truck/return to pit with time penalty is about the only decent option. Limping back to pits isn't acceptable on most tracks, too many high speed chicanes that don't have room for 2 cars at once...
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the previous post. I meant walking back to the pits along the service roads.Smile

tow truck
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG